<- wants headlight wary of zebralight QC $60?

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
im looking for an AA light (up to 4 cells) reliable, 3 modes or similar low-med-high and no need to be any brighter then 80 lumens on high.

id prefer something that has been around a year or so and well reviewed by many, over a new product that may have flaws not yet revealed.

nice solid reliable well reviewed quality headlight $60 AA cells.

safe to use in the rain would be ideal.

carrot

Flashaholic
Princeton Tec Apex. Made by a company with a very long history of providing solid headlamps, and this model has been out for quite a long time (it was upgraded to a modern LED not too long ago also). It uses 4AA and is highly reviewed pretty much everywhere.

There's also the Princeton Tec EOS which used to be fairly popular around here before Zebra popped up with their fancy single cell lights. This one takes 3AAA, is a good bit smaller and cheaper than the PT Apex, and also has an excellent, very long track record.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
i cant find much about the fenix hl20?

any love/hate for it?

Ksailork

Newly Enlightened
I've been using various Petzl headlamps over the past 20 years and I cannot say a single bad word about their reliability. They give careful thought to design.

moonfish

Newly Enlightened
If woot still has the energizer hardcase one, it isn't too bad, especially for the price. The diffuser makes it worthwhile. About 6x the size of the forbidden zebra though. Sealed, AA's, simple.

My zebra has been ok. A few things could be improved but the UI is the best for night fishin. $60 to use one for a year isn't the worst thing.

The EOS and all of the AAA battery stuff is a pain in the arse. Batts are dead or almost dead and those are both levels. The OP has that figured out already.

I'm gonna try one of the zebra clones but if it doesn't work, it'll be on a slow boat to you know where. Everything shipped that far is a gamble imo.

Fenix one looks cool but it doesn't look like there is a diffuser for the big one. I don't think I'd hesitate to try their stuff though. The old regular headlamp companies are real slow to adapt. They'll come out with something a year late, it's run with resistors and it'll be underpowered because it's all plastic and they can't deal with the heat. Fenix doesn't seem to do that. The more I look, the more the hp10 looks like quite a bit for the $ in headlamp dollars. They're all expensive for what you get compared to mass produced flashlights.

It depends what you want. I find superflood the handiest and pencil beams pretty worthless. I also find 5mm's for flood pretty worthless like you might find in old models.