Minty HDS U60GT, should I swap the emitter or not...

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone, just got my second lot of emitters from Fred, They are the current K2's.

I already have one Novatac with a K2 in, I have 2 others with a possiblilty to K2 the other 2 and keep the U60GT stock because it does have a nice tint, just the 60 lumens aspect isnt enough for me to edc it out the house.

SO, what would you do keep the U60GT stock and K2 the other NT so I have an arsenal of K2 Novatacs or, beef up the U60GT, would this affect its resale, would the price go up if I put in a K2.

Please help im stuck here:thinking:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone, just got my second lot of emitters from Fred, They are the current K2's.

I already have one Novatac with a K2 in, I have 2 others with a possiblilty to K2 the other 2 and keep the U60GT stock because it does have a nice tint, just the 60 lumens aspect isnt enough for me to edc it out the house.

SO, what would you do keep the U60GT stock and K2 the other NT so I have an arsenal of K2 Novatacs or, beef up the U60GT, would this affect its resale, would the price go up if I put in a K2.

Please help im stuck here:thinking:

I'm not sure your light will take some value if you install a K2. Not sure either if it raise the value to keep it stock, maybe for collectors? Do you actually plan to use this light or to keep it as a collector item?

If you plan to use it, upgrade it. It would be a lot easier to upgrade it with an SSC U3. The SSC use the same form factor as the old luxIII that is in your HDS. A K2 upgrade involve to either mofify the heatsink then lost is HA or to cut the led plastic body to fit it in the heatsink led socket.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Decided to use this light and went ahead with the swap, little bit more difficult than a NT but after you got the size of the K2 filed down to fit the hole it was just a matter of a steady solder hand, the K2 works great with the smooth reflector but I am still surprised that my K2 novatac can still throw a brighter hotspot

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS are a bit before my time but I would guess that a Novatac
drives the emitter harder than a HDS

Just a guess, so please correct me if I am wrong :thumbsup:

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had both. An HDS and Novatac modded with a K2.

Because of the smooth reflector, the HDS's hotspot had a couple
of small dark spots.

If you really want some serious output for your HDS, mod it with an XPG
emmiter.

I picked up such an HDS (U60GT) back in January. This is by far the brightest HDS I have ever owned. Brighter than any Novatac mod I've
ever owned as well :devil:

The hotspot will be a little bigger, but WOW.

Here's the sales link with photos....hope it helps!
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=212794

Ray

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is also becasue the HDS is set up to put out 60 lumens where as the NT puts out 120 lumens stock

Mine had dark spots too, I cleaned the LED dome with lense cleaner and it perfect now

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is also becasue the HDS is set up to put out 60 lumens where as the NT puts out 120 lumens stock

Mine had dark spots too, I cleaned the LED dome with lense cleaner and it perfect now

In fact, the 60 lumens is a LED limitation of the luxIII. Put any newer led like a XP-G and you will reach way more than 120 lumens. I remember a B42 (42 lumens) going high as 150 lumens with an SSC.