Pls tell me the difference between aspheric and aspheric condenser lens

Walterk

Enlightened
What is the difference between Aspheric lenses and Aspheric Condenser lenses? They are both flat on one side, and on the other side have a radius that can not be described with an 'arc-radius' which makes them achieve 'infinite' beam.

For the eye it seems what is advertised as 'condensers' have more extreem diameter-to-thickness ratio. Then it makes sense that 'aspherical condenser lenses' are harder to make with good surface quality, and therefore usually has more distortion compared with 'aspherical lenses' with equal pricing.

Aspheric lenses then should be more precise, used in imaging-equipment instead of just focusing light for higher intensity.

Is it the price-quality ratio that makes them usually to be applied (and sold ) as condenser lens or is there more to it ?

I am testing, comparing and interpolating, but the difference between the two isn't exactly clear to me.
To all with experience or theoretically knowledge: Please clue me in !

Thx, Walter

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
An aspheric lens is one with a non-spherical curved face, as you gathered.
An aspheric condenser lens is an aspheric lens with short focal length intended for converting between a converging or diverging beam on the flat side and a collimated beam on the curved side. So you can bring a collimated beam in to converge at a point (for example, a point with flaming ants), or convert a diverging beam from a point source (for example, an (idealized) LED) into a collimated beam for maximum throw.

Most aspheric lenses have significantly longer focal length (and as a result less curvature) than is useful for this... but every aspheric condenser lens is also an aspheric lens, so the distinction you're trying to draw seems a bit strange.

Also, of course, wrong forum. Reported.

Walterk

Enlightened
Thx Benson.

When I understand you correct, you are saying the only difference is the focal length. At some focal length one names it a condenser.
Then why do they name them different while there really isn't a difference?

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx Benson.

When I understand you correct, you are saying the only difference is the focal length. At some focal length one names it a condenser.
Then why do they name them different while there really isn't a difference?
To save people who want a condenser lens from having to sort through all the aspherics not suited to their purposes, maybe?