NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: H6CC 6.7A LED driver

Default H6CC 6.7A LED driver

Apr 23. Below is the original post. Since the prototype stage, the driver has evolved into the H6CC and can output up to 6.7A.
    -------------------------------------------------------

Well, until I think of a better name - high five constant current...

5A buck converter prototype. This is actually a hyperbuck driver that I realized already had all the guts to deal with 5A output - if I just changed the inductor, sense resistors and increased the switching frequency a bit from the hyperbuck configuration.

Anyhow, here's a picture that should say it all:

Running just over 81% efficiency with 3.4V output and 14V input - which is not bad given the large voltage in / voltage out delta.

My load is 2 x P7 in parallel to deal with 5A output.

Been running for 30 minutes and totally stable. Given it's based on the proven hyperboost and hyperbuck architecture I'm pretty confident with the 5A output. Lots more tests to do to characterize efficiency over various input/output combinations.

I also need to re-lay the PCB into a round shape to make it CPF friendly

cheers,
    george.
    Last edited by georges80; 04-23-2010 at 12:21 PM.
    LED drivers www.TaskLED.com
    I hate PM - so email me - info is in my profile.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: H5CC driver

Toasty!
    This'll make a lot of SST-50 builds a lot easier.

Any thoughts on the price difference between this and the regular hyperbuck/hyperboost?

Quote Originally Posted by georges80 View Post
    Lol, just last night I was trying to figure how to fit a hyperboost into a Creebar (channel is 32 mm, you can see where this is going) and wishing it was rectangular instead!
    Finning does help dissipate heat. This is why the fins are removed before cooking fish. Otherwise it will throw off the heat and not reach the proper cooking temperature. --Duglite

Well, until I think of a better name - high five constant current...

5A buck converter prototype. This is actually a hyperbuck driver that I realized already had all the guts to deal with 5A output - if I just changed the inductor, sense resistors and increased the switching frequency a bit from the hyperbuck configuration.

Anyhow, here's a picture that should say it all:

Running just over 81% efficiency with 3.4V output and 14V input - which is not bad given the large voltage in / voltage out delta.

My load is 2 x P7 in parallel to deal with 5A output.

Been running for 30 minutes and totally stable. Given it's based on the proven hyperboost and hyperbuck architecture I'm pretty confident with the 5A output. Lots more tests to do to characterize efficiency over various input/output combinations.

cheers,
    george.

Nice!

I'll start the chants.... production, production, production :-)

Flashaholic*

Can't wait for these! Keep up the great work George!
    -Will-

Sorry, I have retired from flashlight modding & I do not make custom flashlights. Thank you for your understanding.

My Mod Archive

I need one of these (along with a new SST-50 emitter).
    Blew another IC!

No, a torch does not always mean flames.
    Ian.
    LED Driver List - now database driven and with new search features.

Will it be possible to put 2 of these in parallel to drive 1 or more SST90's ?

Greetz Johan

Or are you secetly building a dedicated SST90 driver??

Now to dream up another build! Thanks George!

Totally awesome George - nice work
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com

Congrats George!! Way to come through! Looking forward to getting one of these!

Hill

Flashaholic*

Hi George

I noticed that Vin for the hyperbuck is 8 volts. I assume this is not going to go down to 5 volts - right?

Thanks

Harry
    Powered by LibreOffice and Linux Mint

2 drivers in parallel is not feasible due to the topology of the driver.

Price - it'll have to wait until I've finished the new layout to see where it ends up in terms of component choices. Certainly won't be more than a hyperbuck or hyperboost.

Tests of a sample size of 1 shows it remained in regulation down to about 6.5V driving 2 parallel P7's (total Vf around 3.4V). There's about 0.4V drop/loss across the polarity protection diode. I "may" replace the protection driode with a FET - we'll see.

The spec for the switcher controller IC is 8V when configured for wide input voltage range. Its minimum operating voltage is 6V, but only when wired for Vin always less than 7V which obviously would not be the case with 2 or more li-ion cells.

It's pretty clear if you want to drive a single LED that you really need to consider a minimum series stack of 3 li-ion/li-poly/lifepo4 cells or 8 nimh cells.

Harry - there is NO way that you'll find a current regulated switching driver IC that can run from 5V at substantial output amps with a LED load. The switching element (FET) needs a high enough gate drive to fully enhance the device for efficiency purposes. At 5V you may as well use a linear shunt regulator and just burn the extra VA.

cheers,
    george.

Flashaholic*

wow George, great to see this...I knew you would come out with something for these new leds. Nice Work!

Ok, tested 2s2p P7's (total Vf around 6.6V or the equivalent of 2 SST-50's in series) at 5A and all looks good - driver is stable and running well thermally. Input voltage was 8.1V, below that it would go out of regulation.

This is with a schottky diode for polarity protection - so that's eating up 0.5V (4.6A input current). The H5CC driver will utilize a low Rdson FET that will drop less than 0.1V while providing reverse polarity protection to the driver.

Measured efficiency with the 2s2p P7's at 5A and 8.1V input was 88% (with the protection diode). If it was a FET the efficiency would have been around 93%.

Next test will be with 3p2p P7's to emulate 3 x SST-50 at 5A, that'll have to wait till tomorrow or Monday.

cheers,
    george.

Next test will be with 3p2p P7's to emulate 3 x SST-50 at 5A, that'll have to wait till tomorrow or Monday.
    That would be sweet!!
    I have a lime green 3D mag 4x 26500 Li-ion and 3x SST50 just waiting here for a driver

Greetz Johan

Quote Originally Posted by SUBjohan View Post
    That would be sweet!!
    I have a lime green 3D mag 4x 26500 Li-ion and 3x SST50 just waiting here for a driver

Greetz Johan
    Just tested 3p2s P7's (equivalent to 3 series connected SST50's) running at 5A. Ran the test for 20 minutes (fan on the poor P7 heatsink - 50Watts going to the LEDs) and the driver was very happy on its chunk of aluminium. Hottest area of the driver was about 20C hotter than the heatsink it is mounted to (thermal pad material).

With output at 10V (total Vf of my 3p2s P7 stack) input voltage at 11.7 kept the driver in regulation - again with the polarity protection schottky diode in place.

Measured efficiency was around 93% (with the schottky in place), so it'll actually be a couple or more % higher with a FET in place.

Looking good and the next step is some cleanup of the round 1.3" diameter layout (components all on one side) and then I'll order production boards. So, by the end of March I'll have H5CC drivers available.

cheers,
    george.

Can this be wired 2 in parallel to get 10 AMP?
    My Mods.. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...5&postcount=78
    Hobby only, I don't do custom mods as a service, thanks for understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by ma_sha1 View Post
    Can this be wired 2 in parallel to get 10 AMP?
    See post #12...

cheers,
    george.

George, can you explain what you mean by "topology" here?

Thanks
    My Mods.. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...5&postcount=78
    Hobby only, I don't do custom mods as a service, thanks for understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by ma_sha1 View Post
    George, can you explain what you mean by "topology" here?

Thanks
    The way the driver is implemented as a buck driver - i.e. connection of sense resistor, power FET, inductor, etc. It can not be paralleled.

cheers,
    george.

Flashaholic*

Top stuff George
    Just copied this from MTBR (as i wanted to know the control on it).

QUOTE:

"The driver has a multiturn trimpot (like hyperboost/hyperbuck) for setting the output current - max 5A. An external Pot or switch with resistors can be added to provide adjustable output or a few fixed levels. "

END QUOTE

Cheers
    Dom

Well, George... you've just ruined all efforts to convince myself that my MC-E Mag is bright enough, and I do NOT need to build an SST-50 light!

Now, to start planning the rest of the mod.
    I'm an excellent driver. Of course I don't have my underwear... I'm definitely not wearing my underwear

Flashaholic

Looks great. Can not wait to see the final result. Any chance of getting multiple modes like 1.7 amps low and 4.2-5 amp high controlled by one switch? If not, no worries. An efficient 5 amp driver powered by 3 Li-ion cells is a dream.

First prototype of the new h5cc layout. Even though it is based on the hyperbuck design, I decided to make some component changes to improve the usefulness for folk that are looking for a round driver that would fit a D mag.

The driver also has a very low Rdson FET for reverse polarity protection. I have put polarity protection into all my recent drivers (fatman is currently the only driver I make that doesn't have it) since too often the owner or someone that borrows the light puts batteries in backwards and destroys the driver.

The PCB is 1.2" in diameter, with all components on the top side to ease heatsink mounting requirements. Basically a piece of thermal pad material or thermal adhesive tape will allow it to mount down to a heatsink.

The precision multiturn trimpot is the same one used on the hyperboost/hyperbuck drivers and allows setting of the output current. There is a buffered PWM control input (high going signal will turn off the output). There's also 2 inputs that allow wiring to an external Pot (in parallel with the onboard trimpot) for continuous output current adjustment.

This driver could be directly connected and controlled by a d2Flex driver.

The following picture shows the prototype driver.

The following shows the driver connected to 6 P7's in (3s2p) to mimic 3 x SST50's in series.

The output current is adjusted to a very low level to allow capture of the picture. A US quarter for size comparison.

More testing to do before I run production boards.

cheers,
    george.

It's a thing of beauty!
    No, a torch does not always mean flames.
    Ian.
    LED Driver List - now database driven and with new search features.

Setup running at full output (trimpot set for max current). Nominally 5A output and I ran it for 1 hour 20 minutes.

The driver reached 58C at the hottest component (input FET) with the heatsink reaching 37C at the end of the test. The prototype PCB doesn't have thermal vias for the FETs or Inductor to the bottom surface of the board - I rushed the proto out with another batch of boards I was getting prototyped. I'm actually very please that even without a good thermal path for the 'hot' components on the PCB, that they only reached around 20C higher than the heatsink.

On the production boards I've already changed the layout to incorporate the thermal vias. Basically this board is not stressing at all to push out 45W+ to the 6 P7's.

Here's some pics of it running full output:

and with the 'shade' removed from the P7's

cheers,
    george.

That is freaking awesome George - good job!
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com

Flashaholic*

I will take one George as soon as they are done!

Flashaholic

I would also like one or two. Great job. Let me quote your typical three year old and say "Gimmie Gimmie!"

Will this board have a PWM port like the hipCC for the addition of a D2Flex? Will the production version have a pot that can be removed in preference to an external one? Thanks for making it fit in the Mag-D.

Dare I ask is there a H9CC or a H9Flex in the works?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast