Crank light with capacitor

Photon

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried this LightStorm Crank Flashlight?

It is a crank light, but has a capacitor instead of batteries. Made by Applied Innovative Technologies, makers of the NightStar shake light.

I have a couple of the NightStar lights. They are exceptionally well made. For example, they have magnets that repel the main shake magnet, instead of rubber bumpers. Very smooth shake action and very efficient at converting mechanical energy into electrical energy.

Not the brightest light in the drawer, true. But the capacitor makes them immune to extremes of temperature, and I find that very appealing.

Surprisingly there are no reviews of the new crank light here in CPF.

Anyway, I just ordered one. I'll post a review if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
KR

sqchram

Newly Enlightened
Look neat! I've always like the principle behind 'human powered' lights, but every execution is always so cheap that one is just better off using batteries.

Can someone tell me about how long a charged capacitor would hold its state?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Can someone tell me about how long a charged capacitor would hold its state?

That depends on it size, exactly like a battery (A D size holds more power than an AAA size). But capacitor holds far less energy for the same size as a battery.

sqchram

Newly Enlightened
That depends on it size, exactly like a battery (A D size holds more power than an AAA size). But capacitor holds far less energy for the same size as a battery.

I mean, once its charged, how long until it self-discharges?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Interested!! guilt free lumens OFF THE GRID!!!

Its a great technology. Unfortunately (with the crank lights I have owned) they always cut corners somewhere in the design and the result is poor performance, shoddy workmanship and inferior materials. My crankers have all suffered mechanical failures and have not been reliable at all.

McAllan

Enlightened
Interested!! guilt free lumens OFF THE GRID!!!

Its a great technology. Unfortunately (with the crank lights I have owned) they always cut corners somewhere in the design and the result is poor performance, shoddy workmanship and inferior materials. My crankers have all suffered mechanical failures and have not been reliable at all.

+1

However nice it seems to have a light - even a low powered one - which can be ready in a flash without dependence of batteries they mostly turn out to be crap. Either because they're mechanically weak, using NiMH batteries for storage (not ideal in such application) or even lithium coin cells(!!) and/or crappy way of driving the LEDs - usually direct drive.

For a long time I've thought about making my own version with a stepper motor as generator. If getting the right one they're very efficient and ball bearings and no gears means they're just about indestructible. A super capacitor and a proper driver (no crappy direct drive) should make a great light. Too many projects and too little time :laughing: But while I (and you probably too) have had most parts for free and now laying in a junkbox waiting for someone to use them that would be way more expensive to manufacture than all those crappy plastic boxes.

But hey looking forward to the review too. Would be nice if for once it doesn't turn out to be crap :popcorn:

Photon

Newly Enlightened
...Its a great technology. Unfortunately (with the crank lights I have owned) they always cut corners somewhere in the design and the result is poor performance, shoddy workmanship and inferior materials. My crankers have all suffered mechanical failures and have not been reliable at all.

...Would be nice if for once it doesn't turn out to be crap

I had a cranker that worked reasonably well at first, then after about a year or so the batteries would not hold a charge for more than a few seconds.

Then I got one of these from Freeplay Energy. Mainly I was interested in having a radio in addition to the light.

When cranking it for the first time I noticed a feeling of solidness. Hard to explain precisely, but it felt solid, durable, and had that I-know-it-when-I-see-it feeling of quality to it. And it has a solar cell on top that could charge the battery or power the radio continuously in direct sunlight. Cool.

I opened the battery compartment to see if the batteries could be replaced in case this unit suffered the same fate as my first one. To my surprise and delight, the batteries were shrink-wrapped and had a modular connector. There is probably an off-the-shelf replacement readily available. If not, Batteries Plus could easily cobble one together in nothing flat.

I'm happy to report the unit still works well and the batteries seem to hold a charge for months (but that was after charging them via a USB connector, not the crank).

<HomerSimpsonVoice> Unregardless, </HomerSimpsonVoice> I really do not need another flashlight, crank or otherwise (what flashaholic doesn't have dozens?) But the coolness factor of a capacitor and the reputation of the manufacturer was too much to resist.

Last edited:

McAllan

Enlightened
Then I got one of these from Freeplay Energy. Mainly I was interested in having a radio in addition to the light.

I've heard of them but never tried one myself. Perhaps I saw one at one time but didn't see a need for it.

Btw. found the driver I mentionend here. Constant current 9 mA out, capable of driving 1-6 classic 3 or 5 mm LEDs in series. Input 1.8-4.5 v. One or two of those, a super capacitor and an appropriate charging circuit so voltage does not go over 4.5 v. The easy way is just a series of shunt diodes capable of tolerating the max current, 7 pcs. for ~4.2 v max. The tricky thing would be to make an indicator for when further cranking is unnecessary (or can be slowed down) since capacitor has reached max. voltage (the diodes starts conducting).

Newly Enlightened
I used to have a cranklight with a resistor. I thought it was the perfect light to keep in my truck since I wouldn't ever have to worry about batteries corroding or going bad. Unfortunately, I needed it on one cold winter night so I started cranking it but the grease inside had frozen which provided too much resistance and cracked the gear. The capacitor only stayed charged for 1-2 days.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have a cranklight with a resistor. I thought it was the perfect light to keep in my truck since I wouldn't ever have to worry about batteries corroding or going bad. Unfortunately, I needed it on one cold winter night so I started cranking it but the grease inside had frozen which provided too much resistance and cracked the gear. The capacitor only stayed charged for 1-2 days.

Keyword in that quote: cold winter night

You should not rely on a crancklight. Buy a small mutlti level AA light like a Quark mini AA. Cheap, good quality, reliable, crazy runtime, a lot brighter than a cranklight if you need it and it work with lithium AA which works very well in cold weather. You can leave it in your truck, it will be there when you'll need it...

This is not a cranklight bashing comment, they can be great for certain uses, but not for a cold winter night...

Last edited:

Photon

Newly Enlightened
I like it. This light is a keeper.

Here are a few pix and my initial impressions.

The unit appears to be well made and has a nice, solid feel to it. Crank effort is nominal. The cranking on my Freeplay Companion seems a little more solid, as if it was putting out more juice. However, this is highly subjective and the crank on the LightStorm is very adequate for the task.

It has a simple pushbutton interface: Off -> Spot -> Off -> Flood -> Off.

The large reflector houses the spot LED. The two smaller reflectors are for flood.

The flood light is nice, wide, and uniform. The spot light has decent throw. Color is a neutral white with very little tint. No noticeable artifacts in either beam.

Sorry, no beam shots. My camera does not have a manual mode and the pictures do not accurately reflect the actual light experience.

Also included is a little cable to connect the power from the capacitor to a USB Mini-B (I think) connector to charge cell phones or whatever else takes a USB Mini-B. I have not tried charging anything from it.

As with my NightStar shake light from the same manufacturer (Applied Innovative Technologies), it took some extra cranking (about 2 minutes) to initially charge the capacitor to where it would put out a decent amount of light. Thereafter, whenever it started to dim, it would take about 30 seconds of cranking to bring back the brightness.

It does dim about as fast as my other NightStars. Such is the state of the art with the capacitors I suppose.

I have not tried any lengthly idle periods to see how long the capacitor will hold a charge without being used. I imagine it is similar to non-LSD NiMh cells.

I purchased the light from Bright Guy. Excellent service, as usual. Every time I visit his website I want one of everything. What flashaholic doesn't?

The instructions were on the box. See pix.

Bottom line: Not the brightest light ever, nor the longest runtime, nor is a crank light anything new. But, it is good quality with a capacitor that is immune to temperature extremes and will not be affected by extended periods of partial or complete discharge. I like it.

DSCN0087.jpg

DSCN0088.jpg

DSCN0086.jpg

DSCN0089.jpg

DSCN0082.jpg

DSCN0083.jpg

DSCN0084.jpg

DSCN0085.jpg

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bottom line: Not the brightest light ever, nor the longest runtime, nor is a crank light anything new. But, it is good quality with a capacitor that is immune to temperature extremes and will not be affected by extended periods of partial or complete discharge. I like it.
But, is this true? Can the capacitor remain without a charge indefinitely (say, years) and not be adversely affected?

For me, a light like this will probably never get used, but I'd like to have one for the unlikely chance that I actually need it. But only if it truly is unaffected by very extended idle periods.

Photon

Newly Enlightened
But, it is good quality with a capacitor that is immune to temperature extremes and will not be affected by extended periods of partial or complete discharge.
But, is this true? Can the capacitor remain without a charge indefinitely (say, years) and not be adversely affected?

For me, a light like this will probably never get used, but I'd like to have one for the unlikely chance that I actually need it. But only if it truly is unaffected by very extended idle periods.

If it sits to where the capacitor is completely discharged, it will take 2 minutes of cranking to get initial good light output, instead of the usual 30 seconds.

ragweed

Enlightened
Great review! I have been looking at them myself. Even 2-3 lumens in total darkness is a lot better than nothing IMHO.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that's what they claim. I guess this is more of a question for the EE's.

If a capacitor sits unused for extended periods, are there any permanent, adverse effects?

I imagine - like most things - there isn't a simple answer to this.

I love the idea of battery-free light, but if it still requires routine maintenance/charging to ensure normal performance, it's probably not for me, because I'd inevitably forget or neglect to maintain it. If I can truly buy it, toss it in a BOB, pull it out ten years from now and still only have to give it a 2-5 minute crank to get it working like new, then I'm definitely interested.

Photon

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of capacitor based shake lights from the same manufacturer that have been sitting idle for a couple of years. I'll shake them up tonight and let you know how they fare.

Photon

Newly Enlightened
Great review! I have been looking at them myself. Even 2-3 lumens in total darkness is a lot better than nothing IMHO.

Thanks ragweed. Yes, that is pretty much my feeling as well. The amount of spill light in flood mode is more than adequate for walking a path at night. And the throw light in spot mode is pretty decent for a relatively cheap crank light.