Need help with Pelican M6 ...

arioch

Enlightened
I have a new Pelican M6 that I loaned out to a friend for a week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif It was working fine when I loaned it out. When I got it back, he said that the light had "some problems" ... specifically, he said that when he turned the tailcap for constant on, the light would not turn on. When he turned the tailcap back out, the tc switch would stick, and couldn't be pushed in, disabling the momentary switch. He said he had to play with the tailcap to get it to kind of work.

Upon getting it back, I tried the light out and got the same results mentioned above. I took the tailcap apart, and put the pieces back together. Same problem. Batteries are new, and the bulb works fine. I can presently get the momentary switch to turn the light on, but cannot get the "lock on" tailswitch to work.

I will be taking it apart again later, but anyone w/ an M6 come across this problem and have any ideas? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

And this is why I don't like to lend my lights out ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... don't have an M6... yet, but whatever it is, now is a good time to try out and see how true Pelican is to their tagline, "You break it, we replace it... forever..." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
from all accounts they will honour their warranty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i'm not sure if you'll want to let them know you took it apart though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I trimmed too much off the spring on back of the LM in my M6 not long after I got it. It would still momentary just fine.

So I tweaked what was left of the spring a bit longer and got full functinality and a roughly 1/4" shorter light.

I have no earthly idea why the tail switch would stick???

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Your electrical path is obviously being interupted somewhere. Make sure that the LA is threaded all the way down. You might want to take some fine sandpaper and scuff the lip of the battery tube at the front end to make sure that there isn't any invisible anodize left that could cause an open circuit. One potential weakness in the switch mechanisim, IMHO, is that the ground path is carried through the threads of the tail cap to battery tube. I suggest that these threads be cleaned with a Scotch Brite pad or fine bronze wool. The various components of the switch should be cleaned and if you have some Nygel, you might consider giving the parts a bit of lube.

Good Luck,

- Don

arioch

Enlightened
Thanks all for the advice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I took the tailcap assembly apart several more times. Got it to work "properly" intermittently, then the same problem would reappear. Finally got it to "stay" working right.

I can't really figure out the tailcap sticking problem. Just have to say that the SF light tailcap assembly is a lot simpler to disassemble and check. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Latest posts