How to EDC ?

Ksailork

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps this thread is more on how to carry all that you EDC. My situation is this: I'm new to EDC with a flashlight. I have not settled-in on a particular flashlight yet but I am fairly sure it will be something ranging from an e-Gear PICO to a single AA light.

My question is where do I carry it? My pockets are full of change, keys, pocket knife, and bottle opener. If I throw a small flashlight into the mix, will all this stuff in my pockets etch the bezel glass/plastic badly? How much will bezel up, bezel down make a difference? Am I better off carrying my knife or keys on my belt and dedicating a "clean" pocket to my flashlight? Or should my flashlight go onto a belt holster? (I must express that the holster that came with my Fenix LD10 is definitely a three-handed operation although that flashlight may or may not be my EDC)

To avoid being verbose, I'll sum it up with "I am looking for suggestions"

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
When I bought my 4Sevens Quark to use as an EDC light I had the intention of putting it clipped in my pocket next to my knife, and my phone in the other, didn't think of where my keys were gonna go. Until the actual package came, like many lights the Quark came with a fantastic holster, it immediately went into use. My recommendation is if your pockets are full, by all means the holsters work great for flashlights.

choombak

Enlightened
I prefer carrying the light on a small carabiner that hangs on my belt loop. For most purposes, I don't even have to take it out -- just twist it and you are good to go. If you put the clip close to your pocket, you can even slip the flashlight in the pocket. This way it does not "wag" as you walk. :)

I find this way to be most convenient, and also prevents losing the light.

-Amarendra

TRITON

Newly Enlightened
g,day, hang it arouund your neck on a lanyard or decent chain,under your shirt. If its a small light like a itp a3 eos or illuminati.Its always there,dose not get in the way,on a nano clip(can be removed if want) and powerful enough for most situations.:)

arjay

Newly Enlightened
Have you thought about getting more pockets? That way you'll have all the space for you current gear and then some. :naughty:

Ksailork

Newly Enlightened
If, like in the days of the Old West, vests would ever come back into fashion, I would have enough pockets! But I have to think people in the 1800's sweated a lot more.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry my Quark 123 in its case, same length as phone, so I don't notice it. My Mini123 , I carry in my pocket on one of these, which I love.
http://www.tecaccessories.com/products/product.php?II=27

Just got one of these but for my keys. I always hate when the get bunched up in the pocket. This takes care of that. Small, light. Haven't been able to use it a lot yet, but I am liking it none the less.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, do yourself a big favor when you get the light and roll it around your driveway for a bit. Once you get a few scratches on the new guy you won't worry about babying it for much longer :)

timbre

Newly Enlightened
I carry my Quark 123 in its case, same length as phone, so I don't notice it. My Mini123 , I carry in my pocket on one of these, which I love.
http://www.tecaccessories.com/products/product.php?II=27

I second this regarding the Mini123. I had seen CPF member EngrPaul post a photo of this setup in one of the Mini123 threads, and it ends up being a perfect mid-pocket carry, not interfering with anything in the coin pocket and not getting lost in the jumble in the bottom of the pocket.

I found that photo on this page: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/251940&page=19

Works great!

mknewman

Newly Enlightened
I carry a FiveMega 26650 body in my left pocket with my knife (which is in a thin leather sheath to keep it nice) and in my right pocket either a Bitz-Ti or a Fenix PD10-Ti, depending on the day.

Marc

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
most days i carry
1.AA light in beltholster left flank.
2.AA or AAA light in the keychain that is loose in pocket.
3.AA or 18650 light hanging vertically in the right front pocket via a lanyard that is clipped to a retractable keychain (keybak) that is clipped on the belt. (same pocket also has a knife ..clipped)

-but i do wear BDU or cargo pants most days. and my thigh pockets are still empty most of the time. (phone or wallet may go there if the other stuff take up space in my side pockets..)

if the light is small and light enough then the neck lanyard is fine option. (i might carry my lummi raw al like that.. the itp eos AAA is small enough for that too in my mind)

*hmm that thighpocket contraption looks interesting.. i need something like that too.

the stuff should be pointing up for easy access indivicually. and pouch should rest or be attached to the pocket somehow so it wouldnt move. and i should still be able to use the rest of the pocket too. ability to stuff stuff infront of the pouch and remove them without moving the pouch.. yeah. that would be cool.

now that i am thinking about this i wonder if i have seen this kind of idea in some worker jackets or trousers.. somekind of tool loops inside a pocket.. maybe a sewn in wide elastic band with loops where to tuck the items?

oh man, do i have to start sowing these loops now to all my pants.. at the moment it seems too cool idea to pass. ahahh never knew i would end up thinking this when i started to answer this post.. (its friday nite.. past midnite..)

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, do yourself a big favor when you get the light and roll it around your driveway for a bit. Once you get a few scratches on the new guy you won't worry about babying it for much longer :)

Hehe, that first scratch always hurts the most! :D

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a knife clipped to the seam side of my right front pocket, ad my light clipped near the belt loop. I do this when I have my wallet in LFP, or when I have a knife clipped in LFP. If there is no wallet or knife, then the light is clipped to the LFP.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to wear a shirt and tie for work so my edc,s are carefully worked out.
Top pocket of shirt carries my edc light,pen,couple of spare spec wipes and a couple of spare calling cards.Right hand trouser pockets carry my knife on a smart keyring to assist in getting my tiny carry knife out.Left hand trouser pocket carries some small change and my much loved card holder made of alu that pops out the correct debit/credit card out at a flick of a tiny switch plus this has a leather cover with room for folding money.

On my winter jacket I carry a spare cig lighter on right hand sleeve pocket,right hand pocket I carry my handy phone or mobile if you prefer plus my cigs and lighter,left hand jacket pocket carry a company issued carabiner with some samples like washers,nuts o rings etc.Inside of jacket pocket carry a card wallet with my calling cards.Front zipper pull has a tiny coin cell light with on/off switch and carry a spare AA cell light on outside breast pocket,both these I switch on at night to light my dark and uneven path allowing my hands free to carry my daily shopping requirements and to find the keyhole.

I cannot leave home without all these needed items and that is why I know where everything goes and feels ok whilst driving between calls.

Now the time the winter months are ending winter jacket is replaced with a fleece and a total re think will be needed but will be well thought out.

LightChaser

Newly Enlightened
I currently carry an these things and then some everyday, with more items being added soon. I arrange them like this:

front right pocket - LD10 clipped to pocket, E71 phone in pocket
front left pocket - keys + E01 clipped to belt loop, Fox 40 Mini + Bic / Cricket lighter, 2630 (2nd phone)
back right pocket - Leatherman Juice XE6 clipped to belt loop
back left pocket - wallet

I'm not worried about the lights and knives getting scratched up, but I do want to keep at least the screens on the phones scratch free. With a knife on the way, I've taken a small (roughly 7" x 10" x 2") bag out of my closet for EDC use - I sometimes leave my current bag in the car because of its size.

I haven't quite figured out how everything will be arranged, but I'm pretty sure having the extra space means I'll be adding other things (FAK, notebook + pens, etc.) to my EDC kit too.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually have a EZ123w on my keychain. Sometimes I take my EX10 with me and then I just put it next to my wallet in my front pocket of my trousers.

rayman

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your pockets are full just order a light that comes with a holster like 4sevens or Eagletac. I carry holstered on a belt but also one in my pants pocket, one on my keychain(sometimes) and one in my jacket pocket if it's cold enough outside.

I will also sometimes sport a Surefire Titan around my neck.

If your seriously getting into EDC'ing a light you will eventually want to carry a backup light so yeh start on the belt and then figure out later how best to carry a additional light.

Latest posts