Piston Drive

Armyman9

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post here but anyway I am just getting into flashlights and I am fascinated with Nitecore's piston drive for their smartpd series. Are there any other companies out there that use this? Also would you all prefer a PD to a traditional clicky switch?

Kgp

Newly Enlightened
There are a couple other lights that use the piston drive, but none that have the ui like nitecore. The other piston drive lights are push for momentary, and twist the head to stay on.

Armyman9

Newly Enlightened
Expanding on my initial question, between the Quark AA and Nitecore D10 what would be the better choice?

carrot

Flashaholic
My flashlight guide mentions who else: McGizmo, the originator of the design, and Arc.

I would rather have a piston drive flashlight than any other kind. To me there is no better switching mechanism and UI around.

The Nitecore uses the same mechanism but a different UI than the typical PD light. It is still good but the UI is nt nearly as appealing to me. The real appeal of the PD is that it is simple to use and that it offers instant access to two levels of light.

blub

Enlightened
Expanding on my initial question, between the Quark AA and Nitecore D10 what would be the better choice?

D10 is smaller, to me the Quark has a better beam and is brighter. Just get both, it's going to happen sooner or later:D