Surefire Window questions.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I purchased a SF Z44 bezel to put a M61 in my G2Z that was claimed to be the new 2010 with Borofloat Pyrex window but after looking this over the window seems like the same lexan as my G2. So I have a few questions for anyone here in the know. When did SF change over to Pyrex for the 6P window? Are there still older lexan ones around being sold as Pyrex? If I can't work with the seller where can I just get the window and what size is it? Is there any positives to the lexan though it was just what I didn't want? Also just in case I am wrong is the newer window thin just like the old lexan with the same plastic feel or thicker like the true Pryex in my other SF?

Thanks for any help.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Speaking of currently produced stuff, there are 3 kinds of SF bezel/window configurations:

Z44/Pyrex - sold on all metal bodied lights (P/C/Z series sold for some years)
Z44/Lexan - sold on all nitrolon bodied lights with LED setups (G2L, G3L)
G/Lexan - sold on all nitrolon bodies lights with incan setups (G2)

A few extra points:

G series lights almost always come with lexan lenses/windows
Lexan windows are always thinner. Z44 bezels have room for thicker lenses, so when configured for thinner lenses, they have thicker O rings to lift the lens closer to the retaining ring.

Its mostly likely that the bezel in question, came off of a G series light. These usually have a type III finish and are less glossy.

As far as upgrades, its not easy to find pyrex lenses and even harder to find the thinner flat style O ring SF uses.

BTW, Lexan is a brand name of polycarbonate, one of the toughest clear plastics around. It does, however, scratch more easily and is not good with high output incan setups.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

Yup it's less glossy and has the space taken up by an O-ring.

Edit.

On a side note I got dirt on the backside of my glass lense of the G2Z. What is the best way to clean it?

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have a machine shop around here that repairs deisel engines/industrial machinery, and the guy had thousands (literally) different O-rings all lined up in seperate bins (no kidding). He got me 5 ea. for my C/P series heads and tails, and same for my L series...20 O-rings = $1.07...he has to re-order some more for the C/P series tails, but I'll check back in a few weeks so I can double O-ring all my lights...if some-one can get me the size of the O-ring, I can probably get a few to send to some-one who may need it. I wouldn't charge of course, just ask that you "pass-it on".

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
If I can't work with the seller where can I just get the window and what size is it?
You can get the UCL lens from flashlightlens.com. My G2 is using 28.8mm version with reference to their Application Chart

Z44/Pyrex - sold on all metal bodied lights (P/C/Z series sold for some years)
Z44/Lexan - sold on all nitrolon bodied lights with LED setups (G2L, G3L)
G/Lexan - sold on all nitrolon bodies lights with incan setups (G2, G3)

A few extra points:

G series lights almost always come with lexan lenses/windows
Lexan windows are always thinner. Z44 bezels have room for thicker lenses, so when configured for thinner lenses, they have thicker O rings to lift the lens closer to the retaining ring.
FWIW, I'm not sure if they have change, but my G3 comes stocked with Pyrex window. It's different from G2 and G2L's Lexan window.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm not aware of any differences between Pyrex and Borofloat that visibly or otherwise differentiate the one brand from the other. Both are tempered low expansion borosilicate glass.

I was under the impression that Pyrex was being used from a stockpile because Corning decided to leave the market sector. Schott, makers of Borofloat are the pick of the remaining three manufacturers of low expansion borosilicate glass that have stepped in to fill the void.

cfromc

Enlightened
I like the Lexan windows for LED work lights due mainly to the shatter resistance.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not aware of any differences between Pyrex and Borofloat that visibly or otherwise differentiate the one brand from the other. Both are tempered low expansion borosilicate glass.

I was under the impression that Pyrex was being used from a stockpile because Corning decided to leave the market sector. Schott, makers of Borofloat are the pick of the remaining three manufacturers of low expansion borosilicate glass that have stepped in to fill the void.
I was merely stating that SF changed their lens manufacturer.

Woods Walker

Yup My G2Z bezel does have a Pyrex window.

Cfromc.

I do have a Lexan window in my older G2.

IMG_0994.jpg

I got a M60LL on sale so the older G2 gets a second life inside the pack. It is pre lock out tail cap but found if I twist the bezel some the light will lock out kinda well. Still it would be nice to find a cheap SF lockout tail cap for mine as like this feature on the G2Z. As for the Lexan window I have scratched the Pyrex window on the G2Z but never cracked it though would be interested if anyone had field experience to relate as to the durability of the plastic vs. glass window in a SF. Naturally plastic will scratch more easily. I seen some Acrylic windows on that web site posted in this thread. Wonder if these would be a good replacement if the Lexan gets too scratched up. Also seen some in UCL but only in 28.6 with mumbo jumbo about only fitting newer models with lens held in by retaining ring but thought these all were held in by that.