I don't even know where to begin!

chrisw1

Newly Enlightened
As the title says, I feel somewhat like I am in way over my head. I need to make a purchase and I don't at all know what to look for. I tried a search but only came up with things I didn't understand. I have had great luck with forums like this in the past with things that are new to me. I will tell you what I am looking for and would appreciate any and all suggestions as to where I can look and please please provide links. I am looking for 3 or possibly 4 matching flashlights. I would prefer only LED if at all possible. I am looking to put one light next to the gun in each glovebox of my car and my girl's car as well as next to the gun on the nightstand. I want 3 identical tactical style lights as knowing how to use one and being comfortable with it will be the same as the others.

1. My priorities are mainly reliability and longevity. something that won't require any tinkering and will still run well for a long time. A light that can be left in the glovebox for years and still be reliable when I turn it on in an emergency.
2. I would like something simple to use. I don't need an infinite number of adjustable settings on a light, but at least a high and low setting would be nice.
3. I prefer to have compatability with batteries that are easy to find at any store so AA or AAA would be ideal.
4. Size wise, I want something that I could easily tuck into a pocket if I needed to bring it somewhere. no more than 2 of the previously mentioned batteries.
5. Price wise, since I am buying 3 of these, I would really like to keep the price to a minimum. Since I do want a quality light and not some hunk of crap at the checkout line at home depot, I know that I have to be reasonable. If I could do all 3 for $150 I would be happy, but if the right product for me is a little more than that, then please don't hesitate to let me know that my range is not practical.

I know that there are many tactical flashlights out there and I see them at the gun shows all the time, but they are like a foreign language to me. What do you recommend? What should I be looking for? Thanks so much to all in advance!

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: Hi chrisw1, I know exactly how you feel! There is a mind numbing amount of stuff to learn about modern flashlights. The good news is you've come to the right place. These outstanding reviews by Selfbuilt are a great resource for learning about and choosing the light of your preference.

pwatcher

Enlightened
I'd suggest either rechargeable AA sized light, probably 2 batteries for more output and reserve, but you'll have to maintain the batteries as they won't hold a charge indefinitely. I don't think you should rule out a CR123a battery powered light though, as these batteries have an advertised 10 year shelf life. You'll be able to find what you want for $50 each. Do you care about flood vs throw that much? Or cool vs warm beam? If that's too much to consider right now, that's ok too. Start with battery size you're most comfortable with and let us know from there?

OCD

Enlightened
welcome.gif
From one newbie to another, welcome. I would recommend a Quark 2xAA. I have the turbo model and LOVE it! :twothumbs You can get get the 2xAA now and get a CR123 or 1xAA body later.

duboost

Enlightened
I'd suggest either rechargeable AA sized light, probably 2 batteries for more output and reserve, but you'll have to maintain the batteries as they won't hold a charge indefinitely.
If this is a light that is just gonna sit in the glove box and not see much use, i definitely would go with lithiums over rechargeables. If you prefer AA's then stick some energizer lithiums in there.

As for which light, the flashlight reviews forum is a good place to start reading and seeing what's available.

Some lights I would suggest you take a look at are the Quark Tacticals either 1AA or 2AA, whichever you prefer. A nice thing about these are they have interchangeable parts. You could get the 2AA light, and purchase a spare 1AA or 1CR123 body and be able to swap those onto the light instead. They also have accessories like the Quark Prism which would turn it into a nice right angle light. The tactical version of the Quarks does require some minor "setting up" as you will need to program the light with 2 of the available modes. Once that is done, the light becomes a 2 mode light, loosen the head for 1 mode, tighten for the other. Allowing you to have a nice bright high and whichever low mode you prefer

Fenix TK20 is also a nice 2AA light. It has a nice warm tint, rubber grip, and is built like a tank. It comes with 2 modes, which also are selected by tightening or loosening the head, however the low mode on the TK20 is not very low. But im not sure whether you need a real low low or not. But it is a very solid light for the price.

Also i'd suggest taking a look at Eagletac's P Series for a nice 2AA light.

And here are some discount codes when you decide what you want to purchase

:welcome:

johnny3073

Newly Enlightened
I'll recommend the Eagletac P100A2 around $40, has simple hi and general mode, stick 2 energizer L91s and you're set.

+1 on this recommendation ^^^. From what you've described you're looking for in a KISS light, this one is going to be hard to beat for the $$.

It's very well built, has a great emitter, very respectable runtime & regulation, eats regular AAs (I recommend energizer L91s also), and best of all it easily fits your budget.

Here's a review: http://www.light-reviews.com/eagletac_p100a2/

Get in touch with Mike @ PTS & he can hook you up with your CPF discount. He's a board sponsor here, and very reputable. https://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=152-153-6605

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest a CR123 light because it doesn't sound like you are going to use it a lot so buy a dozen CR123 battery's and that should last you awhile. Also you mention you may want to drop it in your pocket but AAx2 light are rather long and not the best pocket lights.

If your gonna store the light for long periods of time alkaline AA battery's may leak and damage your light, you could get Energizer Lithium but that kind of defeats the whole point of cheap available battery's. With CR123 lights you get brighter, longer runtime and shorter length. However if you still choose on a AA light their is plenty of nice lights and just about every good CR123 has a AAx2 equivalent.

You may want to look into these brands and models.

Eagletac P20C2 MKll, P20A2 MKll, T20C2 MKll

4sevens Quark CR123x2 Tactical, AAx2 Tactical

Fenix- PD30 R2, LD10 R2, LD20 R2

nbp

Flashaholic
Am I the only one that found it funny (or scary) that this dude keeps guns in both of his cars and on his nightstand?!?!?

Seriously, don't recommend him a bad light, it may be the last recommendation you ever make!!!

:aaa::xyxgun:

With that, I leave you, with my safety intact. ;)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously, don't recommend him a bad light, it may be the last recommendation you ever make!!!

:aaa::xyxgun:

With that, I leave you, with my safety intact. ;)

lol thats very funny nbp, but I do the same thing but I don't leave them in the car 24/7 and I keep one in a nightstand as well.

Font size

Newly Enlightened
Re: Keep it simple

[FONT=&quot]:welcome:
1. My priorities are mainly reliability and longevity.
2. At least a high and low setting would be nice.
3. Batteries that are easy to find at any store so AA or AAA
4. Something that I could easily tuck into a pocket
5. All 3 for $150!
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
lamp_chain.jpg

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Nitecore key chain light fits that description. 145 lumens $34.00

Video
[/FONT]

Last edited:

chrisw1

Newly Enlightened
My internet for some reason is being finicky right now and won't let me open any of the many great suggestions that you all presented to me, however I will be checking into each and every one of these as soon as my technology allows. I did have the opportunity to handle a fenix LD20 today and was very impressed with this piece of equipment. What do you all think of these? I also picked up a light to attach to the rail on my glock which could actually replace the need for the nightstand light. I would provide a picture for the forum, but the girlfriend has the camera at work with her today. Whether it is 2 or 3 that I purchase is the LD20 a good choice?

chrisw1

Newly Enlightened
EagleTacEagleTac P100A2 Flashlight Neutral White [P100A2/NW] •The EagleTac P100A2 model features the all‐new CREE XP‐E Q4 LED in Neutral White and the ET20 optical advanced reflector for outstanding throw performance and perfect beam. The P100A2 uses two standard AA batteries, is rated at 175 lumens and can run for up to 8 hours.
More info...
icon-new.gif
vertline-prodlist.gif
Our Price: $39.99
List Price: $49.99
You Save: $10.00 (20%)
horizline-prodlist.gif
EagleTacEagleTac P100A2 LED Flashlight Cree XP-E R2 [ET/P100A2] The EagleTac P100A2 model features the all‐new 3 Watt CREE XP‐E R2 LED and the ET20 optical advanced reflector for outstanding throw performance and perfect beam. The P100A2 uses two standard AA batteries, is rated at 205 lumens and can run for up to 8 hours.
More info...
vertline-prodlist.gif
horizline-prodlist.gif
EagleTacEagleTac P100C2 Flashlight Neutral White [ET/P100C2/NW] The EagleTac P100C2 model features the all‐new CREE XP‐E Q4 Neutral White LED and the ET20 optical advanced reflector for outstanding throw performance and perfect beam. The P100C2 uses two CR123A lithium batteries, rated at 200 lumen and will run for up to 14 hours.
More info...
icon-new.gif
vertline-prodlist.gif
horizline-prodlist.gif
EagleTacEagleTac P100C2 LED Flashlight Cree XP-E [ET/P100C2] The EagleTac P100C2 model features the all‐new three Watt CREE XP‐E Q5 LED and the ET20 optical advanced reflector for outstanding throw performance and perfect beam. The P100C2 uses two CR123A lithium batteries, rated at 220 lumen and will run for up to 14 hours.

I don't really understand any of this. What does this all mean? This is from a link that was provided earlier for me. Thanks again to all!

johnny3073

Newly Enlightened
I've owned a couple of Fenix's LD20s, and both were very good lights. At one time most all 2AA lights were judged against it. IMO there are now better lights for the same $$, such as the ones mentioned by others.

If you are looking for a no bs KISS light, this one isn't it...that is of course unless you consider the disco modes mandatory. It won't keep you under the $150 for 3-4 lights either. Close, but not quite.

If you just have your heart set on the LD20 I'd at least wait until they upgrade the emitter like everyone else.

chrisw1

Newly Enlightened
As far as all the talk about throw, Im going to assume that a longer throw is a narrower longer range light. This is what I would like. As far as tint, I don't know what to call it but the bluish light that comes from the HID lights of BMW's and whatnot looks to be what I would like. I hope this narrows some things down. Again, thanks to all but the more info I get the more questions I have.

I do not have my heart set on the ld20 and I don't feel any desire for a strobe or sos feature. A simple 2 mode is ok but would really like to have some super long run time on the low setting.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
chrisW1 " A light that can be left in the glovebox for years..."

How could you be so cruel as to leave a light in the glovebox for years. They have feelings and need regular bodily contact in order to perform at their best. They LOVE to be used. Please, at least once a month, open the glovebox and switch it on for at least 30 seconds. Tell it you appreciate its life serving light, otherwise it may die a lonely, heartbroken death.

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
My recommendation, FWIW, is that you spend some quality time with Selfbuilt's 1XAA and 2XAA reviews, then buy the torch that has the output, features and UI that most appeal to you.

In my opinion, however, far more important than your choice of light, is that you DO NOT store it with alkaline batteries in place. As alluded to by others, go with the AA lithium batteries, which will last far longer and will not leak, as alkalines certainly will, thereby turning your emergency tool into a paperweight.

Oh, and :welcome: