Which batteries are best for my Fenix LD20?

northslope

Newly Enlightened
Just got a Fenix LD20.

1) For use in my EDC bag (where it really won't get used a lot) what type of batteries do you recommend?

2) During Summer camping trips and hikes, where I will be using it a lot, what type of batteries do you recommend? (I usually put a fresh set in when going to the mountains & carry back ups)

Also, I tried a search for this but I'm still not sure. Can I recharge Lithium Ion batteries in my Energizer NiMH charger?

How do Lithiums do in terms of self discharge? I am worried about using any rechargeable in my flashlight while it is in my EDC bag. I don't want to need it one day and have the batteries be dead. (even though I'll have a back up set)

Also, I heard that if you store alkaline batteries in you lights then you can rub vaseline on them and they will not corrode in the light. True? Other tricks?

johnny3073

Newly Enlightened
Energizer L91s. Toss a 4/8 pack in the bag for back ups.

LD20s love 'em and they have a 15 year shelf life.

ETA: For camping, hiking, etc. just use the NiMH. Charge them up the day before you go. And no you can't charge Li-Ion (14500s) w/ the Energizer charger. Even if you could they would blow the emitter in the LD20. Then you wouldn't need any batteries.

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
DO NOT recharge Li-Ion cells in a NiMH charger. they are different chemistry, and dont work the same way.

im not so sure li-ion would be good for the LD20, because of higher voltage. each 14500 li-ion at full charge would be around 4.2 volts, and 2 cells in series would be over 8 volts.

Li-ion have a low discharge rate, although not as good as lithium primaries.

for suggestion of which types of batteries:

sanyo eneloops are low self-discharge, and are highly recommended by many.

Energizer ultimate lithiums L91 are best for disposables batteries. (its what i use in my AA battery lights).

i suggest using alkaines only if no other options are availible.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only use Sanyo Eneloops or Duracell relabeled Eneloops, commonly referred to on here as "Duraloops." They are reliable, provide full light output no matter how long my LD20 is on, and most importantly, they don't leak.

gilly

Enlightened
Energizer L91s. Toss a 4/8 pack in the bag for back ups.

LD20s love 'em and they have a 15 year shelf life.

ETA: For camping, hiking, etc. just use the NiMH. Charge them up the day before you go. And no you can't charge Li-Ion (14500s) w/ the Energizer charger. Even if you could they would blow the emitter in the LD20. Then you wouldn't need any batteries.

Exactly...

PerttiK

Enlightened
But remember with energizer lithiums you lose the lowest low, no other harm done.
If you use your light frequently, consider eneloop, duraloop, gp recyko...
lsd nimh's in general.

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
But remember with energizer lithiums you lose the lowest low, no other harm done.
If you use your light frequently, consider eneloop, duraloop, gp recyko...
lsd nimh's in general.

The loss of low is transient.
If you use Energizer's EA91, the loss is even shorter.

stallion2

Enlightened
if you think you're not gonna use the light for a couple weeks or so then take them out of the light. i wouldn't go and smear vaseline or any other oil-based compound on the batteries. might ruin the O-rings if it got on them and thats frequently one of those things you don't notice until its too late. its unlikely it would even stabilize the batteries, they usually rupture as a result of heat, acute impacts or corrosion that starts on the inside. alkalines don't work well in cold environments if thats something that would apply to your use.