Quark 123 vs Surefire E1B vs Nitecore EX10

Armyman9

Newly Enlightened
I am a bit of a flashlight noob, but between the Quark 123, Surefire E1B, and Nitecore EX10 which would you all choose. I am mainly using these for everyday carry. I need an all round good light.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
My preference...
1st - NiteCore EX10: Built quality and runtime (but I strongly recommend the ramping UI version than the SP fixed mode version)
2nd - SureFire E1B: It's a SureFire! and you do not need a reason to own one.
3rd - Quark 123: I would go for the Mini 123 instead, seriously. :)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the the E1B over the Quark but your talking about two different price ranges.

I use to own a couple EX10's but somehow always managed to turn the light on in my pocket because the piston drive was so easily activated. That's been awhile and I don't know if anything has changed with the EX10, I don't believe anything has.

The E1B is near perfect in my opinion for a single cell pocket light. Nice wide throwy hot spot, finish is really nice on the Surefire's.

I don't have the 123 Quark but I do have the AA XP-G model and run it with 14500 and it's also a heck of a light also.

So if price is not a factor I would suggest the E1B but if price is a factor I would go for the Quark.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
I use to own a couple EX10's but somehow always managed to turn the light on in my pocket because the piston drive was so easily activated.
Half a twist will put the light in momentary mode and prevent that happening.

Vesper

Enlightened
All things considered like price and UI, I'd go with the EX10. Great light all around and get the clip too. I love quarks, but I think the clip is oddly placed on their smaller regular lights - I prefer a light that sits flush in my pocket. E1B: extreem quality and great feel, high price, comes on high by default which I don't prefer in an EDC.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry if this makes thing a little tougher for you but I forgot to mention you may want to add the Jetbeam RRT-0 to your good pocket EDC light list. It throws the beam really well for a pocket light and the output ring selector is really nice. Jetbeam is also another that is really great quality, the best Chinese made light in terms of quality IMO.

I like the option of the AA extender and can run 14500 or AA's or 123 if I choose to. You could also do that with the 123 Quark if you also buy the AA battery tube.

Armyman9

Newly Enlightened
I guess I should add which one has the better LED. I am asking a question of more than I know, but the Quark has the R5 Cree and the EX10 has the R2. Is Nitecore coming out with a R5 version? Also what type of LED does the Surefire use? Thanks again.

pwatcher

Enlightened
I guess I should add which one has the better LED. I am asking a question of more than I know, but the Quark has the R5 Cree and the EX10 has the R2. Is Nitecore coming out with a R5 version? Also what type of LED does the Surefire use? Thanks again.
I don't think any of these should be chosen based on LED - they will be comparable quality. Maybe some differences in tint lottery, or beam shape, but I'd decide based on budget and how you want to carry. Do you care about the clip, for example? Size/shape of head and degree of knurling on body might make a difference to you too.

I own all three of these, and like them all for their versatility and build quality. The Quark has more levels, but the other two at least have both a nice low and decent high. I think you can't go wrong with any of these, at the right price!

Last edited:

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
i did the same kind of thing when i was looking for my EDC, my first focus was output, then battery life, then size, then form factor/looks. I chose the quark123, output was highest, and on moonlight the battery life was longest, size was small, and the form looked good. I love it, I have used it at the very minimum every other day since june. I have been eyeing the EX10 because i would love to give that piston drive thingy a try, but not till they can boast more than 145 lumens. I couldn't justify that. E1B has much less output and costs much more. (I know its a surefire!) I own several of the larger surefires and love them, but for something thats going to be clipped to my pocket and bashed and slammed and mangled and eventually lost (its inevitable) I don't want a light i will feel guilty losing. Almost all the HA is gone off my quark and it has several large gouges (character) but when i need a flashlight fast I always find it there in my pocket. I hope this helps somewhat, though it sounds like your mind may already be made up lol.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used my EX10 as EDC since it come out and I really like it. Modded it a little bit. Swap the emitter to a Q3-5A, bought the slotted piston and a blue trit and also got the clip for it. In my opinion it's the best EDC-light ;). So get the EX10.

rayman

generallobster

Newly Enlightened
I don't like the fact that the ex10 has a press fit steel bezel. I've loosened it by dropping the light on the head.

zwerky

Newly Enlightened
i own both the (mini) quark 123 and nitecore ex10 r2, i was thinking about the e1b, but bought the e2d led instead since i figure i was going to spend that much, might as well get something more powerful. i currently edc the ex10 and love the ramping.

my particular quark 123 feels a bit flimsy to me, the thread seems loose. however i like the 3 output levels it has and over all, i do like the light.

so ultimately, my vote would be for the ex10, non-SP version. :twothumbs

*edit* i mis-read the original thread, i own the mini quark 123. oops.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a neutral LED Quark 123.I used to EDC my EX10 GD but it doesn't have the neutral tint and would turn on accidentally in my pocket once in a while.I really like the original EX10 but it is no longer available and the SP version doesn't offer any advantages over the Quark IMO.Don't have the E1B, it is likely to be the most rugged of the three but the E1B is considerably more expensive than the other two lights and doesn't offer quite the same performance.Obviously I prefer a neutral tint for my EDC but tints aside I would still go with the Quark.The original EX10 is a close second but it may be hard to get one anyway.The size/profile of the E1B and the cost keep it off my EDC list.I think there is a pretty decent chance you will lose a small EDC light so I like to stay in a moderate price range.

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
slightly OT, but is the PD for the EX10s easier to push than the D10s? the tension on my D10's high enough that accidental activation is near impossible...

back to main topic, I'd only consider the EX10 if you can get yourself the ramping version, otherwise there's not much of a reason for it over the quarks. Battery life does suffer slightly due to the infinite adjustment abilities, but its far more useful in that configuration (the battery life doesn't come close to the quarks, so the SP versions have no advantages).

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry if this makes thing a little tougher for you but I forgot to mention you may want to add the Jetbeam RRT-0 to your good pocket EDC light list. It throws the beam really well for a pocket light and the output ring selector is really nice. Jetbeam is also another that is really great quality, the best Chinese made light in terms of quality IMO.

I like the option of the AA extender and can run 14500 or AA's or 123 if I choose to. You could also do that with the 123 Quark if you also buy the AA battery tube.

i agree 100%, my EDC is a RRT-0 and love it. its selector ring makes it fast and easy to conserve battery power. it looks beautiful, feels nice and solid in my hand. plenty bright and has good throw. only complaint is the ringy beam. its about half an inch longer than most single cell cr123a. but that selector ring is so worth it.

i have a quark 123-2 tactical, and nitecore d10, and if i had to choose between the quark 123, or EX10, ill go with the quark, the nitecore is very solid but i just seem to have more faith in my quark. plus the quark has many lego options. the e1b just never apealed to me, and its probably do to its form factor, and looks.

Lagerregal

Newly Enlightened
If you want an edc and you do not want to clip it to your shirt/pocket, go for the quark. I did it. You will not regret it. It is brighter and can go way lower than the competitors while beeing cheaper. You can choose between floody (R5) and throwy (r2) and neutral (q3). But the clip on the singe 123 is a bit odd.
If you life depends on a light i would go neither for a surefire nor for a ra, i would choose a single-level-barbolight ;)