Quality of M@G lites on the decline?

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked up another 2C host for modding. When I compare it to my older 2Ds and even the 2C I got a few months ago the new 2C appears lower quality. The threading is much rougher and the overall fit of the tailcap and head have a lot more end play. I haven't done any precision measurements or weighting to discover if tolerances are lower but the "subjecto-meter" in the hand test says "not as good". Anyone else noted a drop-off in quality or did I just get a "runt"?

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed the same. The two old 3D Mags my dad and I have had for a long time, have good smooth threads.

The two new Rebel 3D Mags I got at the last Black Friday sale have rougher threads on the tailcaps.

Also the two Rebel MiniMags I got at that time have not-so-good tailcap threads. In addition, the twist switch feels very rough in operation on both of these lights. And finally, one of the MiniMags had a couple of deep scratches in the plastic lens.

So yeah, compared to my older Mags and MiniMags, it looks like they're slipping on the quality.

For the Black Friday cost of 10 or 12 bucks I don't mind so much, but no way would I want to be paying 30+ for these.

Last edited:

Slickseth

Newly Enlightened
I regularly buy 2d led and non-led versions for the purpose of modding. The smoothness of machining on the bodies, and thread tolerances are noticeably better on the led versions. The laser etched serial numbers on the led versions are also much nicer than the stamped serial on the non-led.

The quality of the non-led D bodies is inconsistent. I usually spend some time examining them (through the packaging) before purchasing.

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
I'm wondering if the XL100 represents a downward trend on M@gs. Some good ideas, but it sort of seems to be a "glitz and glamor" trend vs. the old tanks that you could count on to always light up or crack a cranium.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes you may need to lubricate the light, shipping or storage probably weren't in the greatest of conditions. Fresh out of the package, my 3D LED had a very smooth tailcap but a tight head. My 2AA's were the opposite, smooth head, rough tailcap. A little bit of petroleum jelly (layman's lube, but of course, not the best) does wonders. :thumbsup:

As for the XL100, they're only embracing the current trend of features and fanciness but putting a little twist (no pun intended) on it. I'm sure a lot on CPF would moan and groan if it was only single mode. ;)

dcycleman

Enlightened
i got a really crappy 3 aa led mag that the switch is very finicky on. very disapointing. some companies try to make superior goods and sell them at a premium, while others try to cheapen thier products to the price point of all the other crap on the market. thats what happens when accountants are in charge of a company and not the engineers.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have noticed the same thing, both with my C mag and other members'. The C switch fells more clunky and doesn't have as nice an solid feeling click as the D mag. The C bezel threads are much more sloppy than the D, to the point of adversely affecting the beam.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
me too...both on the switch feeling and the threads...no amount of lube could improved their gritness...

And it was iIMPOSSIBLE to loosen the alen screw that holds the switch module....it was jammed and had to tap it out the front the screw point making a farrow in the tube...

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old 2C without the C in the serial number. When I compare it to a newer 2D reagarding the thread I have to say that the threads of the 2D are of better quality. Both Maglites are used for quite a long time.

rayman

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
Yep, My 2AA LED has a bad switch in the head, works sometimes, not something I'd wanna rely on it's just a backup. The threads are very shoddy too.

Alex K.

Newly Enlightened
I bought a 4D and 4C together at Ace, and I must say that the quality on the 4D is actually better than the 4C. On the 4C, the threads on the head and tailcap are gritty. Still, I find myself reaching for the 4C more often, because of its smaller size. I have to dig out my 15 year old 4C to see how smooth its threads are.

McAllan

Enlightened
Me to.

Wonder if it's lacking QC or just the tools which are allowed to be more worn before replaced (to save $ on maintenance). Or a combination. :ohgeez:

For the prices they're asking outside US there really shouldn't be any reason why you shouldn't get a perfectly machined light every time :thinking:

The basics: If you want an XL100 rush out to buy it before their tools are worn out :crackup:

420light

Newly Enlightened
Just got a 4 D from Home Depot and a 2 D from Sears about a month ago. Really no problems to report vs. my two 4 D's from like 2002. The rubber switch cover does have a different feel to it though.:shrug:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have probably been in contact with more "D" Maglites than anyone on the forum :) They quality does vary from time to time and I've seen a few that should not have made it through the QC process but the majority of the lights I have worked on I have been very happy with the quality.

For the people talking about price............I can't even buy the *RAW* material to make one for the price they get for a complete light!

Mac

swampgator

Enlightened
They quality does vary from time to time and I've seen a few that should not have made it through the QC process but the majority of the lights I have worked on I have been very happy with the quality.

I agree, given the number of lights they produce I'm sure a few get through that are less than stellar.

That being said, I've purchased 3 2C lights in the last year all from different sources. I can't tell any apart. The threads are no better or worse than my '81 vintage 2C.

My older 3Ds do seem smoother but I'm sure that's due to years of use.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems that some of the newer Mags I've purchased have had dry threads. I put some Nyogel 760G on them, and they feel much better. Other than that, they seem to have the same consistent quality from what I've seen.

Alex K.

Newly Enlightened
I just got back from Home Depot, looking for the Xl100. They had some, but it was very oddly shaped in person. I'll just take my 9P. Anyway, I bought an electric blue 4D. I have to say, it has the best feel of any Mag I own. The head feels just right, not too loose or too tight. The spring actually fits inside the tailcap and doesn't constantly pop out. The best part is the tailcap is soooo easy to screw on. It is perfect!!!:twothumbs

csa

Enlightened
Comparing to the several bodies from nearly 20 years ago that I have, I can definitely say that modern variants are less precisely machined. The threads are rougher, and fit less well, particularly on the tailcaps.