Malkoff        
Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Adjustable 10A linear LED driver - New and Improved!

Default Adjustable 10A linear LED driver - New and Improved!

Hi gang,

Update, April 4, 2011: Unfortunately, a lot of this thread got lost in the crash. I made another batch of boards, and have plenty left. I usually have a few built up, and if I don't have the one you want, I can build small quantities to order and ship in a few days.

This is the sales thread for the driver I've been building, and has been discussed in the "High Current (SST-90) driver" thread in the Custom & Modified Flashlights > Homemade and Modified Flashlights forum. This is my first attempt at a sales thread, so if I've forgotten or screwed up something, please let me know. PLEASE CHECK THIS POST FOR UPDATES if you are ordering, as I will be updating order status at the end of this post.

For those who haven't been following, this driver is 1" diameter, 5/16 (approx) thick, and has high/low/off modes controlled not by a pushbutton or clicky, but by a toggle switch. By connecting the H terminal to C, you get high, and by connecting L to C you get low. Disconnect both and you have OFF. The driver draws about 0.5 mA in off mode. This could be eliminated by using a double-pole switch.

The high and low settings can be reduced by adding a series resistor in the appropriate control line. This resistor does not carry the LED current, so it can be very small, or even a potentiometer (I've found that 500K linear taper works best, and gives about a 11:1 range of control from the high setting). For those who can solder small surface mount components, you can change the settings by changing on-board resistors.

The IS1006 is offered in the following configurations:

[code]
    model Hi (A) low(A)
    IS1006-10100 10 10
    IS1006-1025 10 2.5
    IS1006-0880 8 8
    IS1006-0820 8 2
    IS1006-0550 5 5
    IS1006-0512 5 1.2
    [/code]

Other models could be made available on request. There would likely be a small setup fee (new parts and shipping to get them) and some time to acquire the parts. PM me if you need something that's not listed.

PLEASE NOTE: This is a linear driver, not a switchmode driver. What that means is that if the input voltage is much higher than the LED voltage, it will generate a LOT of heat. In most applications it will need to be attached to a large heatsink to prevent overheating. The amount of power dissipated in the driver can be calculated using the following equation:

P = (Vin-Vled) * Iled.

The efficiency of this driver depends entirely on the choice of battery and LED, and the wiring configuration. In the basic configuration, the efficiency can be calculated using the following equation:

Eff = Vled/Vbat

I've written a draft of the data sheet, but I'm not allowed to post attachments, so if you want to see it, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you. I'm still interested in feedback on it if you have something to add.

Note the pictures are of a board that hasn't been cleaned after assembly. I will be cleaning them before shipping any.

3/9/10 edit: I've realized that the H and L terminal markings are reversed on the board. I will swap R5 and R6 values so that the H and L markings will be accurate (H to C as marked on the board gives high current, L to C gives low current).

The price is $25.00 each plus postage, prepaid. I recommend USPS flat-rate box at $4.95 within the US. I can ship UPS or FED-EX if necessary. Shipments outside the US may incur other fees. PM me before ordering if you want it shipped outside the US.

The easiest way for payment is paypal (dlburdette 'at' juno 'dot' com). If you want to pay some other way, let me know. Please put your username in the Paypal notes so I can match up posts with payments. Thanks!

Please check the end of this first post in the thread if you are ordering or waiting for an order. It is regularly updated with order, shipping, and stock status.

Current Order List:
    1. Aircraft800 - model 1025 ordered, paid, shipped
    2. Codiak - model 0512 ordered, paid, shipped
    3. 350xfire - 2x model 0820, 2x model 0512 ordered, paid, shipped. Thanks for adding paypal fees!
    4. Packhorse - ordered 2x 1025 and 2x 0512, payment received, shipped.
    5. phil -model 1025 reserved (see you in June!) - delivered
    6. Simon520 - 2x model 1025 ordered, paid, shipped
    7. JohnF - full refund issued
    8. Nailbender - 2x model 1025 ordered, paid, shipped
    9. Dom - 2x model 1025 ordered, paid, shipped. Thanks for adding paypal fees!
    10. 4Ever - 2x model 1025 ordered, paid, shipped
    11. Delphinus - 2x model 0820 ordered, paid, shipped
    12. Cocoro1967 - 1x model 0880 ordered. Order cancelled due to no payment and no communications.
    13. ahorton - 2x 1025 and 2x 0820 ordered, paid, shipped
    14. Moddoo - 1x 0512 ordered, paid, shipped
    15. Aircraft800 - 1x 1025 ordered, paid, shipped
    16. R.P. - changed to 3x 0802 ordered, paid, shipped
    17. Moddoo - 1x 1025 plus spare FET ordered, paid, shipped
    18. Al Combs -1x 1025 ordered, paid, shipped
    19. kris23 - 1x 1025 ordered, paid, shipped
    20. vambo1980 - 1x 1025, 1x 0512 ordered, paid. Requested change to 16V (higher price), shipped.
    21. LHolden - 1x 0820 ordered, paid, shipped.
    22. Radagast_2010 - 1x 1025 ordered, paid, shipped.
    23. WalterK - 2x 1025 ordered, paid, shipped.
    24. horus - 1x 1025, 1x 0512 ordered, insufficient payment, refund issued.
    25. keith - 1x 0512 ordered, paid, shipped.
    26. Al Combs - 1x 1025 ordered, paid, shipped.
    27. WK - 2x 1025 shipped.
    28. Not So Bright - 1x 1025 ordered, paid, shipped.
    29. Greg.B - 2x 1025 ordered, paid.
    30. ma_sha1 - 1x 0707 ordered, paid (special order), shipped.
    Last edited by DIWdiver; 10-10-2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: update to wait list.

Flashaholic

Default Re: Adjustable 10A linear constant current driver

I'll take 2.
    I'll PM my email for the data sheet draft.

I'd like 2 of the IS1006-1025 10 2.5

I will paypal you 54.95; If this is incorrect let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon520 View Post
    I'll take 2.

I'd like 2 of the IS1006-1025 10 2.5

I will paypal you 54.95; If this is incorrect let me know.
    That's correct, assuming you have a US mailing address!

D

So if you connect H to C (on high) and leave it, it can be used as a regular single mode driver?
    Last edited by spc; 03-07-2010 at 04:55 PM.

I've paypal'd for:
    IS1006-0517 5 1.7
    $29.95 board+shipping

John F

Quote Originally Posted by spc View Post
    So if you connect H to C (on high) and leave it, it can be used as a regular single mode driver?
    Yes.

Hi

paypal sent for 2 of the
    IS1006-1025 10 2.5

plus 4.95 postage

Thanks

Dave

1 - IS1006-0517 CC for now + 4.95 paypal sent.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by DIWdiver View Post
    [CODE]model Hi(A) low(A)
    IS1006-10100 10 10
    IS1006-1025 10 2.5
    IS1006-0880 8 8
    IS1006-0820 8 2
    IS1006-0550 5 5
    IS1006-0517 5 1.7[/CODE]
    Added CODE tags and a bit of spacing. Is there some reason you haven't included or linked to the full specs?
    No, a torch does not always mean flames.
    Ian.
    LED Driver List - now database driven and with new search features.

Quote Originally Posted by TorchBoy View Post
    Added CODE tags and a bit of spacing. Is there some reason you haven't included or linked to the full specs?
    Can you explain what you mean by CODE tags? That's not a term I'm familiar with.

The spacing looked a lot better in the preview window. Not sure why it changed when I posted it. I'll add some spacing. EDIT: I tried to change the spacing, but you can't use tabs and it deletes more than two spaces in a row! I don't know how to create a better table there. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

I haven't posted the specs because it's a document, and I don't have attachment privileges, nor a site I can link to. I have it as a PDF, but if I posted it as an image, I'd catch all kinds of flack for huge pictures. If you can suggest a good solution, I'm all ears.

D
    Last edited by DIWdiver; 03-07-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Flashaholic*

2 X 10A/2.5A for me :-)

PM sent

Cheers
    Dom

Can you explain what you mean by CODE tags?

The spacing looked a lot better in the preview window. Not sure why it changed when I posted it. I'll add some spacing. EDIT: I tried to change the spacing, but you can't use tabs and it deletes more than two spaces in a row! I don't know how to create a better table there. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

D
    Thats what the CODE tags are for. When you need more than one space in a row, etc.

Hi, i'd like 2 IS1006-1025.

How much for shipping to Portugal, please send it via USPS.

Thanks

José

Hey, I almost missed mine. Give me a few to get the mode selection and I'll get PayPal right over.

(4 NiMh high drain will work right?)

O.K. I get it, the code was messing me up. I just need "Holy Crap High" and "low", so I think it's the:

IS1006-1025 10 2.5

plus 4.95 postage

PayPal on the way!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

The money has been sent!
    Last edited by Aircraft800; 03-08-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Fixed Info.

Hi gang,

IS1006-1025 10 2.5
    Money sent for 2 IS1006-1025 10 2.5

There's a button for CODE tags in the advanced post editor, along from B, I, etc. Or you could have a look at how I did it in my post by clicking on the quote button.

I haven't posted the specs because it's a document, and I don't have attachment privileges, nor a site I can link to. I have it as a PDF, but if I posted it as an image, I'd catch all kinds of flack for huge pictures. If you can suggest a good solution, I'm all ears.
    How about just typing the main points in your first post?

Quote Originally Posted by Aircraft800 View Post
    This is a good example of the information that should be included.
    No, a torch does not always mean flames.
    Ian.
    LED Driver List - now database driven and with new search features.

How will this driver behave if the Vin is below the Vf of the LED? Will it go into direct drive mode?

I guess I and others are probably a little disappointed that there is no switch mode driver available yet for the SST-90s. I for one want to use a 2S Li Ion pack or even 3S.

But I have a cunning plan. Use a LDO10C voltage regulator and set the output at 0.5v (+-) above the Vf of the LED and run that into this DIW's linear regulator. This will give a constant current regulator that you can run off any voltage up to 13.8v and yet still be fairly efficient.
    Use some thermal feed back as well just for protection. Unsure if its best to use the thermal feed back on the CC driver or CV driver though.
    Thoughts?

Unenlightened

I am very new to all of this but I am trying to learn and this looks like a great place to do it. I bought a green 10w led that has a forward voltage of 11.5 to 12V and a forward current of 1000mA. I want to use this for a fishing light but I don't know how to power it from a 12v battery. If you have a driver that will work for this that would be great. any help what so ever would be nice thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Ever View Post
    Hi, i'd like 2 IS1006-1025.

How much for shipping to Portugal, please send it via USPS.

Thanks

José

Priority Mail to Portugal with insurance ($50) and return receipt is $19.15 EDIT: sorry, it's only $18.25 the higher number is for $100 insurance.
    Last edited by DIWdiver; 03-08-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aircraft800 View Post
    Hey, I almost missed mine...

No, I've been holding one for you!

Yes, 4 NiMh is probably the best configuration available for this driver.

D

My $100+shipping is in for 2 of each. Can you explain what happens if using 2S LiIons?

Thanks
    Hector

Quote Originally Posted by Packhorse View Post
    How will this driver behave if the Vin is below the Vf of the LED? Will it go into direct drive mode?

I guess I and others are probably a little disappointed that there is no switch mode driver available yet for the SST-90s. I for one want to use a 2S Li Ion pack or even 3S.

But I have a cunning plan. Use a LDO10C voltage regulator and set the output at 0.5v (+-) above the Vf of the LED and run that into this DIW's linear regulator. This will give a constant current regulator that you can run off any voltage up to 13.8v and yet still be fairly efficient.
    Use some thermal feed back as well just for protection. Unsure if its best to use the thermal feed back on the CC driver or CV driver though.
    Thoughts?
    The driver will go into DD mode as the voltage falls. At some point the voltage will be unable to keep the FET turned on, but by then your batteries are pretty well done. There is always some minimum resistance in the driver, which is around 0.01 ohms for the FET plus 0.02 (10A versions) to 0.04 ohms (5A versions) for the sense resistor.

You're right, that's a cunning plan. I think it should work very well.

If you pull the C terminal down toward B-, it will reduce the output. Maybe a 50K NTC thermistor there would do the trick. Maybe some cunning member could pick a good value? As the resistance falls below about 15-20K, the output would start to fall.

D

Quote Originally Posted by 350xfire View Post
    My $100+shipping is in for 2 of each. Can you explain what happens if using 2S LiIons?

Thanks
    Hector
    There were six models listed. I'm assuming you want two each of -1025 and -0512?

Using 2S LiIon would not inherently be a problem. The absolute max input voltage is 12V, and the max power dissipation is high enough. It's just that if you're only driving one LED, the efficiency would SUCK.

Eff = Vled/Vbat, so assuming 3.8V for the LED and 7.6V for the batts, you'd get an efficiency of 50%. The driver would happily do this for you if you can keep it cool, but it's going to generate even MORE heat than the LED (same amount of power, but the LED gets rid of some as light). The driver would be a little more forgiving of high temperature, but not a lot. So it's going to need as much heatsink as the LED.

With Packhorse's suggestion though, you could use that 2S LiIon pack, and probably keep the efficiency around 80%

D

I just noticed that my previous edit of the Model chart didn't get posted. The last row should show a model IS1006-0512, 5A and 1.2A, not a -0517 with 5A and 1.7A.

Refunds will be made to anyone who already paid and would like a refund because of this.

D

I can't wait to see the lights made with these.

I've never done an LED MOD, just a few drop-in upgrades and some Incandescent mods (and laser stuff).

With the new emitters and kick-ass drivers like this, I'm seriously interested in learning and building again.

It's a good time to be in CPF, you can really make some unique creations.

I'm really interested in seeing what you LED modders can do with this driver, and may follow suit.

I can think of some fantastic builds that already exist that could be improved considerably by upgrading to this driver.
    Databyter (Mike)
    databyter@cox.net

There were six models listed. I'm assuming you want two each of -1025 and -0512?

Using 2S LiIon would not inherently be a problem. The absolute max input voltage is 12V, and the max power dissipation is high enough. It's just that if you're only driving one LED, the efficiency would SUCK.

Eff = Vled/Vbat, so assuming 3.8V for the LED and 7.6V for the batts, you'd get an efficiency of 50%. The driver would happily do this for you if you can keep it cool, but it's going to generate even MORE heat than the LED (same amount of power, but the LED gets rid of some as light). The driver would be a little more forgiving of high temperature, but not a lot. So it's going to need as much heatsink as the LED.

With Packhorse's suggestion though, you could use that 2S LiIon pack, and probably keep the efficiency around 80%

D
    Lets do the 820 and the 517... I really see no reason to push 10amps through a 90.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Packhorse View Post

Thoughts?
    Pack:
    Are you referring to something like this?
    http://www.eidusa.com/Electronics_Voltage_Regulator.htm
    DIW, why not build it into your circuit, charge a bit more and save us some trouble for those who want LiIon? I'd be willing to pay a bit more.
    Thanks
    Hector

Quote Originally Posted by 350xfire View Post
    Pack:
    Are you referring to something like this?
    http://www.eidusa.com/Electronics_Voltage_Regulator.htm
    DIW, why not build it into your circuit, charge a bit more and save us some trouble for those who want LiIon? I'd be willing to pay a bit more.
    Thanks
    Hector
    I didn't include that because it's a LOT more complicated, and others are already working on it. I didn't see any need to compete with them. This was something easy that could hit the marketplace quick, without doing much damage to their sales.

This design literally took hours. With board layout, parts ordering, prototypes, datasheet, posts, etc, I might have 30-50 hours in the whole project. A well-done switchmode driver could be five or ten times that.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Simon520 View Post
    I'll take 2.
    I never rec'd a PM. I sent datasheet to your paypal address. If that's not right, please try PM again!

D

Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast