ARC AAA D Cell body?

benh

Newly Enlightened
I seem to recall people talking some time ago about building a D Cell body that an Arc AAA head would fit on.

The general idea was that this would be a super long runtime small area light.

I was trying to search for threads on this, and didn't come up with much. Did anyone ever make such a thing?

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't know about a D-cell body, but Valiant Concepts makes an AA-cell body for the Arc-AAA, sold at JSBurlysFlashlights.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
At your service. Sorry, but I couldn't resist this little project. Took a couple minutes with a paper clip and an old stool foot. :nana:

SN850705.jpg

Geoff

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
good looking light^

does it also come with a tactical grip?

MWClint

Enlightened
I don't know about a D-cell body, but Valiant Concepts makes an AA-cell body for the Arc-AAA, sold at JSBurlysFlashlights.

I have one of these AA bodies and it's pretty sweet. Works with Arc-AAA, Peak matterhorn, Mcgizmo/arc sapphire and Peak eiger heads.
Since, the different company's heads have various engagement points, you
can adjust for this by building up a paper spacer around the +tip of the AA
battery to allow the head to sit in the AA head properly..threads are all the
same.

I've been using it primarily with a peak Eiger #8 on a 14500.

There's also a simple(=no soldering required) resistor trick that you can do
with the tail cap spring to turn the AA body into a two mode twisty.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
At your service. Sorry, but I couldn't resist this little project. Took a couple minutes with a paper clip and an old stool foot. :nana:

SN850705.jpg

Geoff

Ingenious Geoff....do you know off hand what diameter that rubber chair leg cover is...I will be making a trip to Home Despot post haste. Thanks.

-Jeff

benh

Newly Enlightened
That's actually not a bad little hack.

I was going to make one out of some PVC, but don't have any decent way to thread anything, so unless I can find a fitting somewhere with the right threads, I'll have difficulty making something I'd be happy with.

I will check out the AA body. That looks interesting and would in some ways be a better choice, since I have very few things that take D cells and plenty that take AAs.

Though, I admit that the thought of all that D cell capacity mated with a tiny power draw like the Arc is pretty cool.

Thanks

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
That's actually not a bad little hack.

I was going to make one out of some PVC, but don't have any decent way to thread anything, so unless I can find a fitting somewhere with the right threads, I'll have difficulty making something I'd be happy with.

I will check out the AA body. That looks interesting and would in some ways be a better choice, since I have very few things that take D cells and plenty that take AAs.

Though, I admit that the thought of all that D cell capacity mated with a tiny power draw like the Arc is pretty cool.

Thanks

I am diggin it- that thing would probably run for a week (or longer?)- tailstand- no problemo. Tactical Grip??- I shall use Gorilla Glue Brand black Duct tape.

-Jeff

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The rubber cap is 1.25" (3.2 cm.) inside diameter, essentially exactly the same as a D battery. This one has probably been stretched slightly. I got lucky having something that fit just right. I also put a tiny wad of aluminum foil inside the foam doughnut for contact so I wouldn't have to remove it. A little duct tape would keep it together nicely.

I might have to try it with the head of my EZAA.

OceanView

Enlightened
<shaking head>What a waste of a perfectly good stool...

LOL, just kidding. That's a great hack! I'm diggin' it. :thumbsup:

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geoff,
That is awesome! Do a runtime test, will you? I think I will look for a similar stool foot cap. Maybe a c-cell version could be made out of a slightly smaller foot cup. And you could slide a small piece of thick paper, thin cardboard, or thin plastic between the head and positive battery terminal to turn it off without disassembling it, and just pull it out to turn it on.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Geoff may have just inadvertently inspired "The 2010 First Annual Stool Foot Paper Clip build off".......:twothumbs

-Jeff

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm glad you all like the rig. I'm sure other folks have made very similar things before. If I have a fresh D batt I'll try a runtime. An E01 head would probably be a bit more efficient, since my Arc is an oldie. It worked fine with a Peak red LED head, too, and would really last forever.

I look forward to seeing other D cell creations.

Geoff