"Alice in Wonderland" stomps Avatar on opening!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dam wabbits :rant: 3D is taking off. Folks really want it if they have a choice.

Last edited:

Greta

Flashaholic
Hmmm... I found the 3D in "Alice" to be very distracting. I am looking forward to seeing the movie again on DVD... NOT 3D! It was a good movie but for me, the 3D?... not so much.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... I found the 3D in "Alice" to be very distracting. I am looking forward to seeing the movie again on DVD... NOT 3D! It was a good movie but for me, the 3D?... not so much.

Did you see/like Avatar?

Greta

Flashaholic
Didn't see it... no interest in seeing it. Not much into blue people with political undertones. Keeping in mind that I only saw the first of the LOTR movies and didn't care for it much and I've never seen all of the Star Wars movies and not really into Star Trek either. Just don't care for that stuff. But yet... really enjoy stuff like "Alice in Wonderland". Perhaps it's just Johnny Depp? ;)

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, did you see Alice on an Imax screen or regular screen...I found Avatar much better...smoother on the Imax. Never the less...perhaps you are more into a movie for the story rather than to see new tech...and nothing wrong with that. I`m sure after the thrill of 3D wears off for tech guy`s like me...movies will be about the story again. I`m just easily amazed :tinfoil: :)

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I guess if you want to use the word "stomps" against a movie that has been out 80 days, and broke the dam holding back 3D as a viable presentation modality, go for it dude. :rolleyes: It will be interesting to see how many use 3D as wisely and effectively as Avatar.

My default setting is to almost never see a movie in a theater unless it is something sensational & gets above average reviews. With this (somewhat) reliable audience rating from Rotten Tomatoes, it just became a DVD rental, and I would be hesitant to shower it with accolades. I'm sure some will like it.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I agree. If Avatar had not brought 3D to theater goers "Alice" probably would not have had such a opening. It was in the pre-views of Avatar. I stole the wording "stomps..." from somewhere on the net. We shall see how Alice holds up after a few weeks. Johnny Dep has a draw in his own right. A most interesting charactor/actor. The NASA Hubble pre-views looked interesting as well. To me.

anonymoususer

Newly Enlightened
A lot of movies stomped Avatar on opening day. I doubt Alice in Wonderland will surpass Avatar on gross sales though.

BTW Avatar was a GREAT movie. Lots of ground breaking technology, tons of action, and an excellent storyline. And Neytiri is HOT :naughty:

burgessdi

Newly Enlightened
I have never been a huge fan of the story. I know most people say it's an innocent childrens' story but it just always seemed to me like some little girl's acid trip.

Having said that, Tim Burton is the perfect director for the story. :crackup:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never been a huge fan of the story. I know most people say it's an innocent childrens' story but it just always seemed to me like some little girl's acid trip.
That's exactly why I've never ever bothered with the story, except I assumed it stemmed from Charles Dodgson's drug taking... which apparently he didn't do. :confused:

burgessdi

Newly Enlightened
That's exactly why I've never ever bothered with the story, except I assumed it stemmed from Charles Dodgson's drug taking... which apparently he didn't do. :confused:

I guess we'll never know for sure. Apparently he wrote 10+ diaries and a few volumes and pages were taken by the family. And in the intact parts he mentioned being a "vile and worthless" sinner, unworthy of the priesthood. :shrug:

JB5

Newly Enlightened
I just saw it yesterday and while it was a good movie, the 3D was as stated earlier a distraction and its not one I would see again (maybe on DVD. It would be much better in 2D. I read that itwas filmed in 2D and transformed into 3D post production. Nothing compared to Avatar. Avatar is one I think is a must for 3D as it really brought you into the movie. Since this was the first new 3D movie since Avatar hundreds of theaters that didn't have that capability before have installed them so its no wonder the opening weekend sales were so much higher. Plus there were tons of little kids filling the theater with there parents so that is probably another reason.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Odd the review I saw of it described the effects as being the best part with the movie itself being "soulless".

Avatar pretty much filled the cool looking but soulless category for me for a while. At least it had lots of excitement and eye candy to make me almost forget the 2 dimensional characters and Last Samurai in Space hastily adaptated script. It sounds like Alice didn't even pull off the cool looking that well. Glad I missed it.

I know most people say it's an innocent childrens' story but it just always seemed to me like some little girl's acid trip.

:crackup::twothumbs Couldn't have described my impression of the story better. It wasn't a story I liked even as a kid.

burgessdi

Newly Enlightened
:crackup::twothumbs Couldn't have described my impression of the story better. It wasn't a story I liked even as a kid.

Me neither. My friends thought I was weird for not liking it as a kid when THEY did. I know I am but that's a different thread. ;)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Visually speaking, Avatar is gorgeous. From a plot point of view, it seems to have been written by a long-term resident of a mental asylum. Apparently all humans are evil, and betraying your own species is somehow heroic.

No wonder Alice kicked its @$$.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw Avatar about 90 days ago and I just saw Alice In Wonderland about three hours ago. My take:

Avatar had the better story line.
Avatar had the better 3D (there were fuzzy scenes in Alice that were distracting).
Avatar had the better audio (I had a difficult time understanding what was said in Alice more than a few times).

I really like Johnny Depp's acting, especially when he plays weird and unusual characters like Captain Jack Sparrow but his performance here just didn't do it for me.

How would I judge these two movies? Let's just say that I would think about buying the Alice In Wonderland DVD (let alone the Blu-Ray) while I'm thinking of watching Avatar again at the theaters and I'm planning on buying the Blu-Ray when it comes out.