Can i get a SST-90 for a dereelight DBS?

johnzm

Newly Enlightened
If so where can i buy one and about how many lumens is it going to put out over ther MC-E. Thanks.

nailbender makes em.

i got a SST50 in my DBS and its pretty fantastic. MUCH better for my uses and still has a good amount of spot for hitting things far away.

AlexLED

Enlightened
If so where can i buy one and about how many lumens is it going to put out over ther MC-E. Thanks.

Uhm ... how would you produce the 5A or so from 1x18650 ? Or are you going to use the extender ?

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
nailbender makes em.

i got a SST50 in my DBS and its pretty fantastic. MUCH better for my uses and still has a good amount of spot for hitting things far away.

OP asked for a SST-90 and that can't happen in the DBS, at least not with the current design. Insufficient heat-sinking, no compatible reflectors and of course the issue of power.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
nailbender makes sst-90 dropins, he fixed the heat issue by underdriving them at 2.5A (at least thats what mine pulls at the tail) instead of the full 10A they can handle. Helps with battery consumption, heat, and LED life (hey they are expensive!) and its still beautiful. Mine is somewhere between 550-800 lumens, not sure exactly where, it doesn't matter. I LOVE the beam pattern and the tint. If you aren't faint of wallet I highly recommend one.

flashfiend

Enlightened
Not able to do it stock. The reflector hole is too small for the 90. You would have to ream it larger. The 50 & mce are fine. As for battery you could use an imr to get more current but a single battery still may not be able to push a lot of current. I have a direct drive 50 in my DBS and use a protected 17670 battery that pushes about 3.5 amps to it with no heat issues. The 90 in a DBS is kind of pointless because the led is too large to focus for any significant throw in a reflector that size and then there is the power issue.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
ah yes, i was under the impression that the DBS was a P60 drop-in light, i didn't know it had the proprietary extra throwy weird reflector. The references I have always seen mention the dereelight pills which i assumed (incorrectly) were all P60, good news however! I JUST tested my SST-90 dropin with a standard Dereelight reflector, and the threads ARE compatible, I could only screw it on a little ways though because, as mentioned earlier, you will have to bore out the reflector a bit to make room for the massive SST-90 dome.