Help deciding between itp A1 SS and non-SS

joe1512

Enlightened
I would like to get a keychain light that is reasonably priced. I like the twisty motion so it will not accidently come on, the brightness of the CR123 (AW's protected RCR123 which I will use). It is also one of the smallest lights around. (2.3 inches by 0.8 inch diameter).

The question is: Do I go with the Stainless Steel version or the aluminum version?

SS: Uses a XP-E R2 bin for slightly more output.
Tougher I suppose. Orange Peel.

Normal: Cheaper. Uses XP-E Q5 bin, less output. Better heat sinking. Lighter. Says smooth.

Since this will be on my keychain with no clip, would I be better off with the SS or the normal? Will the SS wear better due to higher strength? Or would the HA3 Anodize protect the aluminum just as well?
Are there any significant differences between the beams due to the emitter and reflectors? Does normal really use a smooth one?

Anyone who has experienced both could definitely provide some good input here. Thanks! For reference I have an A3 EOS SS upgrade which Ill be giving as a gift.

PerttiK

Enlightened
The normal A1 also has OP reflector, atleast the one I have.
You shouldn't use either of them for long periods on hi with RCR, especially the SS version.
And the anodizing won't last long in a pocket with keys.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly I don't think SS is worth the price alot of the time. If I am going to spend extra for a special metal, I'd rather go balls out and get titanium.
Also, R2 leds generally have a tighter spot so I would personally prefer the q5 for keychain use since you will mostly use it for close up stuff.

A major concern for me would be wether or not the ss is harder to twist as I know this is the case with Titanium, however I don't know about this, anyone?

Have you considered the quark mini 123? The R5 is very nice and its only a bit more expensive than the A1.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SS A3's have smooth threads, for keychain use they are great IMO. Not much weight difference.

joe1512

Enlightened
The quark mini is tempting. Still, I dont think I can bring myself to spend 70 bucks for a titanium one, as cool as it would be.

With an RCR123, Id have to limit its usage on high but I suspect that would be the case with any material or even CR123.

The biggest question was about the wear. What does a SS one look like after a year in the pocket? What about aluminum?

PerttiK

Enlightened
You can always buff up the SS if you don't like the patina.
There won't be much anodizing left after a year.

Zendude

Enlightened
Also, R2 leds generally have a tighter spot so I would personally prefer the q5 for keychain use since you will mostly use it for close up stuff.

I hope Carrot doesn't read that.:duck:

To the OP, get the SS. Just remember to use high for short durations only.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha you are right, I remember his recent thread.

I have an AL quark mini and I am really impressed with the anodizing so far. It is almost scratch free after like 2 months on my keychain. I guess scratches aren't a big deal to me though, I kinda like em. If you are looking for a light that will survive functionally over time I think AL has always been tough enough for me and what is a bigger factor is manufacture quality(the switches, circuitry etc). However if appearance is important to you, TI or SS are def the way to go.