LED replacement Bulbs?

Likebright

Enlightened
I have a couple of Mag Lights a Three D cell and a 4 C Cell.
I just purchased an Epieon LED Replacement Bulb for the 4 cell model. I like it but it does seem to be lacking in brightness in the corona although the spot is good and bright. I have come across another LED bulb the Ever-LED which seems to have a "do maw hat ha chi" on top of the LED presumable to disperse the light better on to the reflector. Has anyone had any experience with these LED replacement bulbs.
Could they shed a little light on them for me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have one yet, but the are lots of posts concerning them:
How Do You Like Your Everleds?
is there everled best choices conensus

That cone on top of the EverLED is there because it is a side emitting luxeon. It is designed that way to cast the bulk of the light to the sides, to be used with a reflector.

The Epieon is not fully regulated like the EverLED. The EverLED can be used with one to six 1.5V cells, and is for the most part, constant brightness through that range, because it is regulated.
It contains circuitry that will protect it by limiting the current to the luxeon when it is getting too hot.

The general consensus at CPF seems to favor the EverLED over the Epieon.

Likebright

Enlightened
Thanks, I guess I will order an EverLED and give it a shot.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like I'm a little late to the party, but for what it's worth, I own one of each bulb (EverLED, Epieon). The regulation circuitry in the EverLED, in my opinion, really makes it the bulb of choice. It means you have both flexibility in choosing the specific host for this bulb, and the ability to run ordinary alkaline batteries until they're dead with essentially the same brightness throughout.

That said, I put my Epieon (2-cell version) in a cheap Rayovac tent lantern and ran it on a pair of lithium AA cells, and it's doing great. I like to think of lithium cells as a quick way to "regulate" the output of a light for which regulation circuitry isn't available or feasible.

Hope this helps.

Likebright

Enlightened
Thanks Scott,
Yep. I went for it should have one in three or four days. The ability to switch it around from light to light regardless of the wattage is a plus in its self. Will keep you posted.

Mike

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
likebright said:
Thanks Scott,
Yep. I went for it should have one in three or four days. The ability to switch it around from light to light regardless of the wattage is a plus in its self. Will keep you posted.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike, you won't be disappointed. (If you are, I'll buy the EverLED from you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) I find the quality of the beam most satisfying in flashlights that use faceted reflectors, as the faceting hides any imperfections in the beam. Two lights I've tried that have worked very nicely are the rubber-armored Craftsman Tool Light 4AA and that Energizer 4AA light which converts from flashlight to lantern.

That said, I don't think the beam quality will be any worse in a given light than it would have been using an incandescent bulb. Good luck to you.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this Craftsman light the one with the battery level LEDs?

Do you know a link to a photo of one?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes -- the Craftsman 4AA Tool Light (at least the one I've got) is rubber-armored and has a battery level indicator. Not sure if it's (the battery level indicator) LED driven as the indicator is hidden under some opaque plastic, but since it changes from green to yellow to red, I imagine there are indeed LEDs driving it.

I found this thread here on CPF, and it includes a photo of this light.