Surefire U2 control ring

troller_cpf

Enlightened
One silly question:
on the SF U2, the control ring, moves continuosly without having some predefined "clicks" or it cliks like the one on the Kroma?

thanks

GreySave

Enlightened
Have both lights. The Kroma has detents and soft clicks while the U2 moves freely. Both are normal conditions.

From my perspective the detents and soft clicks were necessary on the Kroma because of the different colors that the ring selects. Since the U2 is one color that is not an issue. Plus with very little practice you can usually either chose the correct output level with the U2 turned off or be perhaps one setting away.

Tim B

Newly Enlightened
There are no audible or tactile clicks but the light has 6 predefined brightness levels. Although the control ring moves smoothly between the two stops the light is not continuously variable. If you move the ring slowly beginning on low as you turn it a bit it jumps to the next level, continue to turn a bit more, then it jumps to the next level and so on even though the action is smooth.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any one here have a way of cleaning under the ring? It's not bad, but I can tell there's one or two small specks of sand undder there...anyway to "safely" remove it???

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
One silly question:
on the SF U2, the control ring, moves continuosly without having some predefined "clicks" or it cliks like the one on the Kroma?

thanks

Lots of links on CPF on the selector ring and removing it:

Any one here have a way of cleaning under the ring? It's not bad, but I can tell there's one or two small specks of sand undder there...anyway to "safely" remove it???

I used the "twist-off" method to remove the selector ring, allowing you to clean under it and also lube the o-ring:

- Turn the selector to the Min setting's stop.
- Grip the head and selector tightly.
- Crank on the selector hard to force it to "jump" over the stop.
- Once you feel the selector jump the stop, turn the selector a little bit more until the ring can be easily pulled downward toward the tailcap and slid off the light.
- Remove the c-clip from the head so that you can very easily remove the selector ring in the future.

Once the c-clip is off, you need to use a slightly different technique to turn the ring. You have to make sure that you only apply twisting movement to the ring. Any downward force can pull the ring off the head. But there should be enough resistance from the o-ring to keep the selector on the light normally. I've carried my U2A without the c-clip for several months now with no problems.

Last edited: