• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD: Milky Room Sweeper: Vintage E1 twisty w/ addl Z52 twisty & McE2s installed.$369

Kestrel

Flashaholic
SOLD: Milky Room Sweeper: Vintage E1 twisty w/ addl Z52 twisty & McE2s installed.$369

For sale is a complete package w/ two tailcaps & customized McE2s switch: My vintage SureFire E1 with the classic SF cross-hairs logo - these retro E1's are seldom seen for sale on CPF these days. For this particular build I spared no expense in obtaining a top-class EDC light (more to follow, including lots of pictures). I am asking $369 SOLD shipped, tracked, & insured to CONUS via USPS. I can ship internationally via USPS for an additional $10.
It went to Milky about a year ago for the full 'Room Sweeper' treatment, taking a number of months to put together. People here familiar with Scott's work understand that quality workmanship does take time, and there does seem to be a waiting list for his conversions.

This light includes an additional vintage Z52 lockout twistie, in which Scott installed a McE2s two-stage switch, custom-resistored for a low level of ~ 5-10 gentle floody lumens or so, making this an excellent all-around EDC light. Its initial draw off of 1x IMR16340 is ~2.8 amps, for perhaps 600 initial lumens give or take - ask Scott, Hogo or others if you have any questions on output, or refer to the main 'Room Sweeper' thread. As Rolls Royce used to state for their horsepower figures, its output is "entirely sufficient". I have tested its runtime on 'high' to be ~12 minutes. The runtime on 'low' is considerable.

From what I gather, the older Z52 lockout E-series 'twistie' tailcaps are relatively rare. Also, the excellent McGizmo McE2s two-stage switches are exceedingly rare now, I can't remember the last time I've seen a switch or tailcap+switch for sale by itself. This switch was discontinued a while ago due to intellectual property concerns from SureFire. I believe this switch 'makes' this build, and do not want to split this package - Milky installed this switch in the additional tailcap to accompany this light. Here is a web link for more information on this product:
http://dmcleish.com/CPF/McE2S/index.html

This light has excellent flood and lights up an entire room on 'high'. Having a 'low' (via the McE2s switch) makes this very useful as an all-around EDC. It operates comparably to the two-level output on the SureFire L1/L2 series:
  • twist for 'low', twist further for 'high'
  • push 'momentary' for 'low', push further for 'high'
  • twist for 'low', push momentary for 'high'
IMO this is the best flashlight UI ever. This light package is for a SureFire 'twistie' flashaholic.

Its original tailcap (included) is the old 'twisty' non-lockout tailcap, prior to the newer 'clicky' versions. From what I read on CPF, these twisty tailcaps are superior to the 'clicky' versions for high-current applications. They are also exceedingly reliable.

Milky installed an adhesive diffusion film to the original Lexan lens to smooth up the beam from the 4-die P7 LED. It is removable and even reusable, although I have not removed it, being happy with the diffused beam in its current configuration.

This light includes 2 IMR16340 cells. Each cell has been cycled ~3 times or so.

I am having a very difficult time putting this up for sale - I have lovingly carried this in my jeans pocket (always by itself - no change, keys, etc) for the past year. It remains in excellent (but not perfect) condition, with a few minor wear spots from the prior owner. I have included plenty of pictures to document its condition, and the inevitable slight HA mismatches from SureFire. It has been a very good companion and has never let me down. I am not interested in trades at this time, but am always looking for extra McC2s resistor boards, any resistance is OK.

Pics:
MilkyE1001-1.jpg

MilkyE1019.jpg

MilkyE1017.jpg

MilkyE1010.jpg

MilkyE1016.jpg

MilkyE1015.jpg
MilkyE1013.jpg

MilkyE1012.jpg

MilkyE1011.jpg

MilkyE1005.jpg

MilkyE1004.jpg

MilkyE1003-1.jpg

Other pictures taken previously:

MilkyE1003.jpg
MilkyE1001.jpg

EDC002.jpg

The main 'Milky Room Sweeper' thread by Hogo:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/209239

Thank you for looking,
K

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: FS: Milky Room Sweeper: Vintage E1 twisty w/ addl Z52 twistie & McE2s installed.

Light is SPF.

That was fast, I put 1.5 hrs into composing my initial post. :crazy:

I'll miss this one. :sick:

PM incoming...

K

lisantica

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SPF: Milky Room Sweeper: Vintage E1 twisty w/ addl Z52 twisty & McE2s installed.

I'll take back-up spot.

jwyj

Enlightened
Re: SPF: Milky Room Sweeper: Vintage E1 twisty w/ addl Z52 twisty & McE2s installed.

Does the resistor board of the McE2s normally loose like what you have shown or is something missing? I have one like that and I can't find a retaining ring to fix it inside the tail cap securely.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

Karl... knowing Kestrel, this light is sure to be everything Kestrel says it is! Good snag and a fantastic find for a flashaholic.

Kestrel... sorry you're letting this beloved light go, but I'm sure you'll come up with something as pleasing to you or more so in time!

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Karl... knowing Kestrel, this light is sure to be everything Kestrel says it is! Good snag and a fantastic find for a flashaholic.
Kestrel... sorry you're letting this beloved light go, but I'm sure you'll come up with something as pleasing to you or more so in time!
Thanks DHart. I really liked this light - a great combination of vintage SureFire and new custom work, I've thought of it as a little jewel & was proud to carry it daily. Although the E-series lights are really popular on CPF (for good reason), I've found that my somewhat-larger SF L1's (yes, plural, it sounds crazy I know but I think I may have too many lights...) just fit me better. And next year, one of my L1's may be making its own pilgrimage to the Milky Labs... :sssh:

Edit: PP payment received, so this light is SOLD. Thanks Karl, I am confident that you will find this to be a very fine light.

BTW another vintage SF touch, note that this 'cross-hairs' E1 was made before the pocket clip was altered slightly to incorporate a lanyard attachment near its end, making it early early production. I always thought that this particular E1 looked much smoother and more elegant than any of the later versions.

Last edited:

karlheinz3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SOLD: Milky Room Sweeper: Vintage E1 twisty w/ addl Z52 twisty & McE2s installed.

Kestrel, this one is a definate keeper! I have a history of "catch and release" but you have got to be the most meticulous member in the forum. I remember the great lengths you went to in your description of a Malkoff dropin module that I purchased from you a while back. You are truely an asset to the forum and I will treasure this little gem. Out of curiousity, how long ago did Milky mod this one? My compliments on your choice of pieces to use for this build. :bow::bow::bow:Thanks again....Karl

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: SOLD: Milky Room Sweeper: Vintage E1 twisty w/ addl Z52 twisty & McE2s installed.

Kestrel, this one is a definate keeper! I have a history of "catch and release" but you have got to be the most meticulous member in the forum. I remember the great lengths you went to in your description of a Malkoff dropin module that I purchased from you a while back. You are truely an asset to the forum and I will treasure this little gem. Out of curiousity, how long ago did Milky mod this one? My compliments on your choice of pieces to use for this build.
LOL, I was trying to remember what I had sold you a while back - one reason I try very hard to describe items for sale accurately (particularly if I am impressed with them) is because I very much dislike being surprised when I purchase something and upon receipt, find out it was not quite as nice as what I thought I was getting. That and I just really get a kick out of the details. :)

I did use an entire page of text to describe the characteristics of that M60 - that was the other time I've kind of went over-the-top with the descriptive text. Funny that you dropped by both times. ;)

This light was modded by Milky in Feb 2009 - I've been carrying it every day since then and although I used it often, I don't think I ever even scratched the finish.

Thank you for the compliments tho. I intend on shipping your light out on Thursday, and I will send you a PM when it goes out.

Take care,
K

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

This Milky Room Sweeper is arguably the coolest and superb E1's I have seen on this site.

You took something rare and made it even more rare. There are few E1e room sweepers and even less Vintage E1e room sweepers.:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

Kestrel

Flashaholic

This Milky Room Sweeper is arguably the coolest and superb E1's I have seen on this site. You took something rare and made it even more rare. There are few E1e room sweepers and even less Vintage E1e room sweepers.
:sigh: Argh BigC, you're not making me feel any better about this sale. ;)

It does please me tho to see all the 'twisty' love here - this light was built for a SF 'twisty' fan.

GunSmoke16610

Enlightened

Karl- Nice buy.... I am STILL waiting on Scott.... lol The Room Sweeper is top notch!

karlheinz3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just received this light and I have to admit that Kestrel is probably one of the most detail oriented members on the forum. His attention to detail is second to none. The package arrived very well packaged and his communication throughout the transaction was top knotch. I feel guilty about using this light because it should be kept as part of a collection for a true Surefire enthusiast. I purchase many lights just to see them in person and examine the the great lengths members go to to create a masterpiece of which this classic definitely fall into the vintage category. I feel that this light is too nice for me and I am going to do another "catch and release" with this beautiful piece. Kestrel....I mean no disrespect and admire your commitment to detail. My most humble admiration on this classic creation! :bow::bow::bow: