New ITP A3s now have centered emitters via centering device?

Newly Enlightened
I received a new ITP A3 Upgraded recently and just noticed that unlike the pictures in the various A3 reviews on CPF, the emitter PCB actually has 4 black tabs holding it in place from each side. From what I can tell, the emitter is perfectly centered. The tabs look exactly like those on the Preon that are supposed to center the emitter. Is this a new thing that ITP added to the A3 lights or a one-time manufacturing mix-up? It looks pretty nice.

Last edited:

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ITP A3 now has an emitter centering device?

Very cool. I have one coming (may even be in the mail today), and I'll look to see if it is has one. If its there, I'll see if it's comparable to the one in my Quark AA.

Newly Enlightened
Here is a pic of the centering device I'm talking about on my A3:

emitter.jpg

I haven't seen that in any review pics of the A3 yet.

Last edited:

1anrm

Enlightened
I have an A3 SS and it doesn't have that black centering unit. I checked my A2 and it has that centering unit and thought where have I seen this before... yup it looks exactly like what is used on the quarks :)

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Mine (bought around 3 months ago) has a white surround and the LED is indeed a little off-centre, so this looks like a recent addition.

Certainly looks to me like a blatant copy of the Quark system. Were I buying now this would be a strong reason for me NOT to buy this light.

I'd rather have the Preon anyway, for the more sensible L-M-H sequence and the higher PWM frequency. Perhaps ITP will copy those as well given enough time . . . :thumbsdow

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Certainly looks to me like a blatant copy of the Quark system. Were I buying now this would be a strong reason for me NOT to buy this light.

Perhaps ITP will copy those as well given enough time . . . :thumbsdow

Curious... is the black retainer component a Quark design?... or an off the shelf catalog component?

FWIW, heres my 6 month old light. its a nice light and has not given me any troubles. Its a legit 75L OTF with an eneloop (see bigchelis thread in my sig).
dscn5758.jpg

dandism

Enlightened
Mine (bought around 3 months ago) has a white surround and the LED is indeed a little off-centre, so this looks like a recent addition.

I'd rather have the Preon anyway, for the more sensible L-M-H sequence and the higher PWM frequency. Perhaps ITP will copy those as well given enough time . . . :thumbsdow
What makes you think there is any copying going on? Perhaps they're all made by the same company:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3186355&postcount=63

flasherByNight

Enlightened
"imitation is the...." yaddy yadda....

Unless there's a patent of some sort etc...I got no problem with a company taking the best innovations and incorporating it into their product

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Curious... is the black retainer component a Quark design?... or an off the shelf catalog component?
What makes you think there is any copying going on?
From 4Sevens Design Philosophy #7 - Perfectly Centered LED's EVERY TIME:
Properly centering every single LED was part of the DESIGN of our light from ground up.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=195406

Sure, in an ideal world patents might be the way to go, but they cost a fortune to defend which may not be worth it for such a small component. Or perhaps there is some sort of licensing deal going on.

Nevertheless I'd rather give my business to the guys who've gone to the trouble to listen to what customers want and taken the time and effort to innovate than to those who borrow/copy/imitate whatever you want to call it.

flasherByNight

Enlightened
It's a nice sentiment, but like most innovations everyone eventually incorporates it into their designs and after a few generations most people forget/have no idea who "invented" it in the first place.

It's especially true with technology, and one of the reasons why it's constantly evolving so quickly. Kind of reminds me of all the rehashed songs on the radio these days (contemporary/pop/hip hop etc) that are remade versions of songs 10/20/30 years ago....

I for one don't have the interest/patience to look at a light and think to myself hmmm, I wonder if that neat design/component was designed by someone else.

Really not intending to be argumentative, I appreciate the sentiment I do...but like I said, it's not how I make my purchasing decisions and just don't think it's realistic.

To make a reduction ad absurdum type argument...xyz light wasn't the first to use/innovate the use of an LED, they're just copying abc's design

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Judging by this thread, the design originated with 4sevens, and since it's such a brilliantly simple idea that has been enthusiastically applauded by consumers it's hardly surprising to see a competitor "borrow" the concept for their own lights. The bad news, at least for 4sevens, is that they can no longer boast about having this feature exclusively, but the good news for consumers is that lights with perfectly centered LEDs will start to become more widely available.

Newly Enlightened

As far as anyone can tell, ITP makes the Preon. Which means that you just don't know how much anything is shared between the two companies or even who developed this particular solution. And the regular Quarks are very similar to Fenix's offerings (particularly in UI), and 4sevens engaged in a few business practices that I don't agree with (which will get this thread closed if I discuss it, so forget it), so nobody is "without sin" in my view.

I'm liking the ITP more. It has none of the BS of the Preon (flashy modes, $55 in Canada vs. $23 for the ITP). I prefer the M-L-H sequence because 99% of the time I use medium mode and would hate to subject the light to more wear and tear by having to twist twice each time I want to use it (you'll notice that the coating of the positive battery contact starts getting worn out very soon after you get it, and since the board of the Preon is almost identical to the ITP, it will wear out faster with twice the number of twists). I also think it looks better. The PWM doesn't bother me at all (I thought it would but decided to get it anyway to try; that turned out to be a very good idea). The centered emitter is a bonus.

Judging by this thread, the design originated with 4sevens, and since it's such a brilliantly simple idea that has been enthusiastically applauded by consumers it's hardly surprising to see a competitor "borrow" the concept for their own lights. The bad news, at least for 4sevens, is that they can no longer boast about having this feature exclusively, but the good news for consumers is that lights with perfectly centered LEDs will start to become more widely available.

Even then it's hard to say exactly who designed it. Without being privy to the original talks, we don't know if 4sevens designed it themselves or simply asked the manufacturer to come up with some way to ensure perfectly centered LEDs or something in between. The requirement to have perfectly centered LEDs comes from 4sevens as far as I can tell but the actual implementation may or may not have.

Last edited:

PerttiK

Enlightened
Now that you mentioned... My A2 and A1 seem to have that too, and so do SA2.

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even then it's hard to say exactly who designed it. Without being privy to the original talks, we don't know if 4sevens designed it themselves or simply asked the manufacturer to come up with some way to ensure perfectly centered LEDs or something in between. The requirement to have perfectly centered LEDs comes from 4sevens as far as I can tell but the actual implementation may or may not have.
Based on this comment:
We created a built in jig that centers every time.
it certainly looks like they're claiming ownership of the design.

Newly Enlightened
Based on this comment:

it certainly looks like they're claiming ownership of the design.

It's just marketing-speak. If I hired someone to do design work for me, I can still market it as my own design. Not saying that's the case for sure, but it is possible. Until we get to see their signed and witnessed contracts / design logbooks, we probably won't ever know.