Peak First responder P7 with optic vs chinese reflector P7/MC-E throwers?

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I am in the market for a new duty light. I have a lumapower Q2 version and it works great but is a little dated. I was thinking about the FR400(R5) or the FR600(P7).
My duty holster is meant for a streamlight stinger so I am not limited to the smaller night patrol sizes. I figure I will get better throw with the first responder.
I have not found any reviews comparing peak lights to any of the chinese throwers. Ive read that the NP400 with R5 led will out throw the pelican 7060. The pelican 7060 is just slightly better than my MRV Q2 with an 18650 so I figure that is the minimum for me, I dont want to step back.
Problem with the FR400 is it is supposed to be rather narrow, not so good at traffic stop distances when talking to the driver and other people are in the car.
I am sure the FR600 with it P7 will light up the car nicely but I am worried about its throw capability. I have not seen any of the chinese throwers using optics with a P7 or MC-E so I am hesitant on how well the P7 will throw with an optic in the FR600. Other than that I think the FR600 is ideal in size, capabilities etc.

Thoughts on the subject or personal testimony/observations?

THank you

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
I would go with the PEAK for one simple reason- durability. IMO it will survive far greater "abuse" drops, strikes, other impacts than any chinese throwers (that may even out throw the peak while used in shelf queen conditions/environments). Not trying to bash chinese lights here- I am just stating what I would rather have on my duty belt WTSHTF.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I trust that they are durable but I am also cruious how well optics do with the multi die LEDs. I havent really seen any other companies using optics, all the other throwy lights seem to rely on reflectors.
I dont know if there is some cost benefit or if they are onto something and the reflectors do better or what...
Begs the question, if optics were better fir multi die leds why isnt everyone using them for throwy lights?

MWClint

Enlightened
with the optic you get a large square hotspot and less spill.
overall, it's a tighter beam than a reflector of the same size.
comparing the 27mm optic(i think it's 27mm) it would easily out throw
the 27mm p7/mce khatod or ims reflectors. you'd have to step up
to a mag sized 50mm reflector to beat the 27mm optic in throw.

peak's P7 is driven quite nicely @3.4amps on the FR1000A high, and has excellent
heatsinking and overheat temp control, so you are going to get more output
than the overseas lights. the adjustable knob version is absolutely wicked.
3.4amps is meant for short bursts, and the light will blink at you as it
preserves the led..telling you to turn it down a bit for extended runs. i tend to
run it around 2amps..or way down low at 10mah. There's also 3/4/5 AA bodies
if you want to go that route.

fr1000a_13.jpg

fr1000a_6.jpg

fr1000a_2.jpg

fr1000a_17.jpg

it replaced my 3 D Cell Mag D2DIM P7 w/mop. i keep the FR1000A mounted on
the rollcage of my Rubicon. it's an amazing light and gets plenty of use.
I marked graduations into the knob at different current intervals to give
10mah, 500mah, 1amp, 1.5amp, 2amp, 2.8amp, full on 3.4amp. i also have a
tritium dot i want to mount in the knob..just havent gotten "a round tuit" yet.

Last edited:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
interesting..
I wonder why the chinese companies dont jump on the reflector train then?

I think ill get the P7 FR600 then. Just hope they dont come out with the SST version in the smaller size and have it be better...

MWClint

Enlightened
interesting..
I wonder why the chinese companies dont jump on the reflector train then?

I think ill get the P7 FR600 then. Just hope they dont come out with the SST version in the smaller size and have it be better...

Call RMSK, He'll be able to help you decide 100%..and probably knows about the upcoming SST versions as well. I'm pretty sure rated by throw FR400>FR1000>FR600.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Call RMSK, He'll be able to help you decide 100%..and probably knows about the upcoming SST versions as well. I'm pretty sure rated by throw FR400>FR1000>FR600.

So how are the throw and the flood on your FR1000?