Replacement for M@g Charger

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am so sick of M@g that I want to replace my M@g charger. I am thinking of getting either the Ultra Stinger or Tigerlight. I was wondering which is more effective at a distance of 300 ft. tops. I know that the US will throw farther, and the TL puts out more light, but are they about equal for throw at distances of 300 ft. and under?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Get the TigerLight.
The UltraStinger is the most expensive waste of money I've ever made. The TigerLight on the otherhand is one of the most impressive non-SureFire flashlights I've ever been pleased I bought.

Al

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i wouldn't say the us is a piece of crap.

i rather like mine, but i don't have a tigerlight to compare it to.

i got the us before the tl was an option.

are there any plans for a fast charger for a tigerlight? my us has a 2.5hr charger, and that was a strong point for me...

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
The TL charger is slow, I think it 10x useage time.

TL recommends you keep the light on the charger unless you are not going to be using it for an extended period of time.

They also include an adaptor for the charger for use in your car.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
US is a great light, use it almost every day harder than most people would.

TL another great light. I've found the NiMH battery pack to be very well made. Doesn't have a steep discharge curve. The weak spot on a TL is the plastic lens. I upgraded to one of those glass lenses from flashlightlens.com

--dan

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have decided to get the TL over the US. The TL is so much shorter and brighter, and I like where the switch is, because it will be easy to operate with the way I like to hold larger lights. I was just wondering, will the TL fit into the M@g belt ring for C and D M@glites?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking about the US only because it takes T2.5 bipin bulbs. This makes it possible to drop-in the WA01160 or 01111 bulbs. You can't easily do this with the TL. Magcharger, yes, TL no. Plus, I think I'd prefer longer and thinner to shorter and fatter just because I have smallish hands...and no comments from the peanut gallery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
hold up ginny...

you're saying i can improve the output of my us?!

tell me more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
(and remember...i'm a led modder..i know nothing about these "bulbs" you speak of)

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roth,

I'm pretty sure you can. It's a 6V light and takes T2.5 bipin bulbs. The stock bulb is a measly 6.3V, 1.59A unit. I'm guessing it makes 200 lumens at best. This means it's ripe for the WelchAllyn 01111, 6V, 3.35A, 465 lumen bulb or the 01160 5V, 3.45A, 500 lumen bulb. Of course, I'm not sure the sub-C nicads will give you very much runtime. At 1.8Ah capacity, they're going to be pushed pretty hard and I don't know if they can supply the current. Most nicads seem to be ok at high current so it'll probably be ok.

But is the reflector aluminum?

Wilkey

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yes, it's an aluminum reflector /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

465 sounds reaaaal nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i dont' care much about runtime...i've got 3 edc's for that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

please...get me a bulb! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifleads: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ginseng,

From your picture, I guess you do have small hands! I'm surprised you can type at your age.

Hey wait, that picture isn't you...

Is it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roth,

Do you want some of those superbulbs? I can hook you up...but it's gonna cost ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif PM me if you are interested. BTW, check out PaulW's thread in the "Modified" forum. He just did a round of testing with some WA bulbs. Not the ones you'd use, but some others and it looks pretty good.

Beretta,

In fact the only flashlight I can get my hands around is the Arc AAA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
That's my daughter. 5 months old this week. Yay!

Wilkey

JackBlades

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
The UltraStinger is the most expensive waste of money I've ever made.
Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to take anything away from the TL, but the US is far from a "waste of money". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Velcro

Enlightened
Yeah, but Al has a thing going for small, short flashlights with the pushbutton at the tail. Ain't that right, Al? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
The UltraStinger was a waste of money for me.
My money.

For a number of reasons:

US = UltraStinger
TL = TigerLight

1) I was against the US before I bought it. I didn't want to like it. This is an important factor.
To counter for the TL:
I have heard a lot about how great the TL was compared to the US and even though I had a duff lamp when the TL finally turned up, and I don't have an AC charger for it, it exceeded my built-up expectations.

2) It's too long. I certainly would prefer it to be "double barrelled".
To counter for the TL:
It's short and compact, it's got a solid feel to it that the US lacks. The TL also fits very neatly into a BlackHawk M6 Pouch which is great.

3) The switch is in the wrong place to what I'm used to. Thinking about it, it would be silly to be a tailcap switch on the UltraStinger, but still, the switch is difficult to locate in a hurry compared to a tailcap switch.
To counter for the TL:
At least with the TL the switch is at the right end of the flashlight. Of course, I also have trouble locating the TL's switch in a hurry but at least I pick it up with my thumb at the right end to the switch which is a start!

4) It can be defocused. It never seems to be focused when I want it.
To counter for the TL:
The TL's focused beam is not defocusable. It's always focused when I need it and I can rely on this.

So why did I get an UltraStinger if I knew I'd be disappointed? I guess I wanted to know for sure as I do read and respect other people's opinions and I wanted to form my opinion based on actually having an UltraStinger that I had paid for.

So why did I get a TigerLight? I guess I wanted to know what all the hype was about. The TigerLight lives up to it's hype. I believe it to be crude (raw, powerful, utilitarian) but it does the job I expect it to and for $150 (all in) or whatever I spent on it, it was money well spent.

Actually, I am still tempted to get a MagCharger. It'd have to be the latest version though. There is another flashlight I need to get first that will cost about the same I believe. Again, it's had a lot of hype from people I respect. It's not a SureFire and this time, I suspect I will like it!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
There is another flashlight I need to get first that will cost about the same I believe. Again, it's had a lot of hype from people I respect. It's not a SureFire and this time, I suspect I will like it!

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, enquiring minds want/need to know, what is this mystery non-Surefire light that you think you will like?

Pat