TSA triple scanned my G2!

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
On a recent trip back from Raleigh to Chicago, the TSA officer asked me if the flashlight in my bag was "dual purpose". I said, "No it's just a light." She then proceeded to scan my bag two more times before calling over a couple of guys to search my bag.

They took out the offending light and one of them pointed out to the other guy that the officer scanning the bag must have focused in on the tailcap switch (I can only assume that perhaps they thought it had a second function of spraying mace?) Of course the guy then pushed the tailcap switch while the other guy was looking into the business end and POW he got it in the eyes. The drop-in was only an M60LL but at just a few inches away the guy was seeing spots.....good thing it didn't spray mace!

Bottom line....got my G2 back and all is well.

carrot

Flashaholic
The TSA more than triple-scanned my carry-on the last time I flew! I had, about 20 flashlights in my bag and the TSA officer doing the scans looked really perplexed for a moment, and then muttered "flashlights..." before letting it through.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hah, I bet he wasn't expecting light to come out of a flashlight! Wait, what?

and "Dual-purpose," nice :thumbsup:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
- "Yes officer, it emitts light and fires tactical nukes. Is that a problem?"

Or...

- "No officer, it is triple-purpose. It makes coffee too."

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I flew down to Florida a couple weeks ago. I took my little Maratac AAA. They didn't even question me. I was half expecting to have to explain that tiny light.

This was my best flying experience. I was in the aiport for 10-12 minute tops. I checked in online the night before so I could skip all that. I was through the scan in 3 or 4 minutes. There was a small line, but they opened another aisle and I was right there! Rest of the time was waiting to board. Flight was on time and landed on time.

Being a mild flashaholic and a LED nerd, I did notice the TSA person's aluminum UV flashlight. :laughing:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SC1's and SC2's get a second look every once in awhile. They look like speed loaders in the display.

OceanView

Enlightened
The last time I flew I complimented the nice agent on her Inova x5 uv light too! She just looked at me, unamused. Like whatever nerd. Lol.
:laughing: Funny story... That's OK, she doesn't appreciate what a cool item she's got in her hand! :cool:

Mr_Black

Newly Enlightened
The last time I flew I complimented the nice agent on her Inova x5 uv light too! She just looked at me, unamused. Like whatever nerd. Lol.

They are pretty cool looking lights. I spotted a few of those Inova lights in the hands of agents at a number airports and figured that they were standard TSA issue. I've also seen one used at Chuck E. Cheese's for checking handstamps.

LEDMaster2003_V2

Newly Enlightened
They are pretty cool looking lights. I spotted a few of those Inova lights in the hands of agents at a number airports and figured that they were standard TSA issue. I've also seen one used at Chuck E. Cheese's for checking handstamps.
I've also seen the X5-UVs in both the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport and the Sacramento Airport when I traveled last November, furthering the probability they're TSA standard issue. Sadly, I lost my X5UV a while back...

flasherByNight

Enlightened
If you have a large collection you're transporting it would probably be a good idea to have them in an organized dedicated case.

1) Organized electronics are always easier to identify via xray
2) If needed to be visually inspect, helluva lot easier to pull out the one bag.
3) Keep them from getting banged up
4) Looks nice :twothumbs

(Same applies to battery but with the added point of them being less likely to be shorted *additionally, it's a TSA requirement for batteries)

Last edited:

dcycleman

Enlightened
I never fly with my best stuff. I have a old E2L that I take instead of my new one.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Heading to Vegas about 6 months ago, the TSA Screener announced to everyone on the line to put their keys, pens, flashlights, and wallets into the blue trays.

I tossed in the two lights I had on me. A Pelican 3330 LED model, and a Fenix E01. Picked them up on the other side. No issues.

What the heck kind of TSA Screener has never seen a Surefire G2 before??

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a recent trip back from Raleigh to Chicago, the TSA officer asked me if the flashlight in my bag was "dual purpose". I said, "No it's just a light." She then proceeded to scan my bag two more times before calling over a couple of guys to search my bag.

"Is this dual purpose?"

"Yes... it's also my lightsaber"

* performs Jedi Mind trick *

"Let him pass... these are not the flashlights we're looking for!" :D