greentee

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I have been using an LF2X for 2 years now, and a Drake R2 for
3 months. I am looking for a replacement for the LF2X Q5; brightness
should be continously programmable and there should be at least
2 easily accessible brightness levels. I also like the floody beam
of the Drake better than the LF2X's beam. It should be brighter than
an Q5. Lithium compatibility would be nice as well, but not a necessity.
Would someone be as friendly as to point out the current options
out there? I am also thinking of a Draco, this comes relatively close
to what I am looking for.
Thank you!
Matthias
PS: ~30 up to ~300 USD
PS2: by "tactical", all I mean is brightness programmability

Last edited:

LED Cool

Enlightened
the successor of LF2X, the LF2XT.
it is a clickie with either CREE XPE Q4 4C neutral/warm tint or XPE R2 WH LED. twin UI. 3 minutes auto-off.

khoo

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,
Thank you!
Matthias

Huh?? :thinking:

vali

Enlightened
I allways thought "tactical" means: "I can switch the light on whethever times I like and will allways get the same predefined amount of light". The only programmable & tactical light I can think of is the Quark.

Try sending a morse message with a programmable light... (at least the ones I know about).

Databyter

Enlightened
Hello,
Thank you!
Matthias
Quark AA Tactical, R5 Edition

This isn't an AAA light, so you might dismiss it right there.

But if you are willing to listen, read on.

This does not share the usual UI of the other quarks.

It has 2 programmable tactical modes that are instantly accessed and do what you program them to do and of course momentary, and hidden modes etc.

Also the moonlight mode is excellent!

It's not a AAA but it's only a smidge bigger, and unlike some lights that are just called tactical, this one really is designed to be exactly that from the ground up.

Enjoy.

EDIT: there are 1 and 2 cr123 versions of this and 1 and 2 AA versions of this. the "squared" sign means two batteries and 123 in the model means it's the lithium version. Make sure you look at the "tactical and not the regular quarks. The link above is for the single AA closest to your inquiry.

Nut n Fancy just did an excellent review of this light in the 2 AA version here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czUxszAf-JU

These are long detailed reviews (the Nut N Fancy), but very thorough and at the end of the review, you will intimately know what has been reviewed.

Last edited:

cistallus

Enlightened
I too have an LF2X (run it on 10440). From all I've read the LF2XT is an excellent successor, as long as you don't mind clicky instead of twisty.

I took a different path for a brighter, floodier light with more throw: got a 4Sevens Quark Mini 123, it has XP-G; I run it mostly on 16340. It's much shorter than my LF2X, but fatter. I still carry my LF2X in my jeans key pocket, and have added the Mini to my keyring (and still have a Photon on the ring too). The Mini isn't programmable but has 3 good levels, and I still have the LF2X if I want to get fancy.

But if you really want small, and price is no object, the Draco or Lummi Wee looks good, besides your Drake (maybe just get another Drake?). Oh, also look at the Muyshondt Aeon (CR2) - oops, apparently it has only two fixed levels.

If it's programmability you are after more than the smallest size, consider the HDS Ra Clicky series - they get rave reviews.

greentee

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

Thanks to all that have answered so far.

@khoo: Didn't know the lf2xt is currently available with R2! I'd still prefer more flood and smaller size for an AAA, but it still comes closest so far. (would be happy to deal with you again, if so.) I also think it's a step backwards that liteflux made it's AAA even larger than the lf2x.

@outdoors fanatic: Well, I don't know what exactly "tactical" implies.... thought this might mean strobe modes + various brightness etc. programmability. Did I expose myself?! I am not a native speaker.... What I was saying was, I'm not after SOS.....

@databyter: I already have the AA Tactical and it is way too bulky, I am very disappointed with the lumen presets, and it is so grippy it doesn't slide well into one's pocket. And the clip starts at the middle of the light and is too inflexible. And no, it is NOT really programmable in terms of brightness, these are badly-chosen presets. There is nothing in the mid-range, for my taste of brightness, and the looking at the presets' runtimes I think 4sevens should make available e.g. 3hrs, I think 0,8 hrs is too short, and 6hrs too long (and therefore too dim) (referring to the preon 1 here, but this pattern can be found with most 4sevens lights). Thanks still for your recommendation :)

What a shame there seems to be no AAA extension for the Drake, just for the Draco... Can a Drake w/ extension also handle Alkaline AAAs?

I have thought about it. AAA size is still a MUST, but I would also consider any AAA light that has no continuous brightness programming, yet has a preset that delivers high output without dropping under say 50min of runtime -- so the Preon 1 would just make it - especially since the R5 seems to meet my flood requirements. Does anyone know if the Preon can handle lithium cells?

Please be as kind as to point out errors in my thinking and premises... I am only a semi-flashoholic.

THANK YOU!

Matthias

Last edited:

Databyter

Enlightened
@databyter: I already have the AA Tactical and it is way too bulky, I am very disappointed with the lumen presets, and it is so grippy it doesn't slide well into one's pocket. And the clip starts at the middle of the light and is too inflexible. And no, it is NOT really programmable in terms of brightness, these are badly-chosen presets. There is nothing in the mid-range, for my taste of brightness, and the looking at the presets' runtimes I think 4sevens should make available e.g. 3hrs, I think 0,8 hrs is too short, and 6hrs too long (and therefore too dim) (referring to the preon 1 here, but this pattern can be found with most 4sevens lights). Thanks still for your recommendation :)

THANK YOU!

Matthias
I can see your point about the presets. They would fit some tastes/uses but not really flexible enough to fit all.
You need a wider choice of levels or a ramp programmable that truely lets you set custom levels.
I have to own a light that is too grippy to go into a pocket!. Alot of the good tacticals are designed purposely to be extra grippy for use in cold or wet weather and or with gloves, but I see your point for your use.
I'm sure the guys here can direct you to the perfect light:popcorn: