Returning Quark, trying something else

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
Well I've used my Quark 123-2 R5 Regular for about a solid week now, it's pretty good but for my specific needs has a few issues. It doesn't throw as far as I'd like, I'm not saying I need something that throws 50x further, just a little tiny bit tighter beam to throw a little further, and the UI is very much a pain in a lot of situations, I could have solved that by getting the Tactical version but since throw is a little issue I have decided to just return it for a refund over exchanging it for the Tac.

I have nothing agains the Quark it just isn't for me.

I have my eyes set on getting a EagleTac P20C2 MKII R5 with OP reflector to replace it, can anyone give me any insight on if that will throw a little better? I have also considered the Surefire E2DL but I feel that's a semi limited light, mostly directed towards defense as it's marketed, the UI is setup in that way as is the design.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Well I've used my Quark 123-2 R5 Regular for about a solid week now, it's pretty good but for my specific needs has a few issues. It doesn't throw as far as I'd like, I'm not saying I need something that throws 50x further, just a little tiny bit tighter beam to throw a little further, and the UI is very much a pain in a lot of situations, I could have solved that by getting the Tactical version but since throw is a little issue I have decided to just return it for a refund over exchanging it for the Tac.
must have great retailers over there to let you use something for a week then send it back. If I asked for that kind of service at a shop in my country they would just shove me back out the door with a laugh.

I have my eyes set on getting a EagleTac P20C2 MKII R5 with OP reflector to replace it, can anyone give me any insight on if that will throw a little better?
I'm awaiting delivery of one myself in the hope it will throw a tad better than my Quark Turbo.

I can't tell you if it will or not but if it's of any use as a comparison, my P100C2 (q5 model) out-throws my Quark R2's (2-123, 17670 etc) by quite a noticeable amount when compared in the real world open spaces of my paddocks so I sort of have a glimmer of hope that the P20C2 will be better.

C4ReeN

Newly Enlightened
i think my fenix flashlights have more thrower than Quark, since i've compare Quark AA with Fenix LD10. but the different is not significant.
if u really wanna thrower, i think i will go for DBS since it is made for those think and you don't mind using CR123. and if u really really need more thrower just add collimator head for DBS.:D

Last edited:

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
must have great retailers over there to let you use something for a week then send it back. If I asked for that kind of service at a shop in my country they would just shove me back out the door with a laugh.

You guys over there don't have a thing we call "Satisfaction Guarantee"?

polkiuj

Enlightened
The XP-G are not throwers. If you want more throw, get the Turbo.

Or even the XP-E R2 Quarks. They throw far better.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
I have my eyes set on getting a EagleTac P20C2 MKII R5 with OP reflector to replace it, can anyone give me any insight on if that will throw a little better? I have also considered the Surefire E2DL but I feel that's a semi limited light, mostly directed towards defense as it's marketed, the UI is setup in that way as is the design.
If you want throw, you'll be more satisfy with EagleTac P20C2 MKII R5 with SMO reflector than the OP reflector. If you don't mind slightly bigger form factor, go for EagleTac T20C2 MKII R5 with SMO reflector.

We had a small group gathering last week where we tested various new EagleTac lights (all with LOP reflector), some findings:
- EagleTac T20C2 MKII throws further than P20C2 MKII
- Quark Turbo (SMO reflector) throws further than EagleTac T20C2 (LOP reflector)
- EagleTac T20C2 MKII is brighter than Quark Turbo
- SureFire E2DL (200 lumens version) throws slightly better than Quark Turbo
- Tint on these EagleTac MKII lights are generally less greenish on Max

polkiuj is right, the XP-E or XR-E gives better throw than XP-G with the same reflector.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
The iTP C series lights throw great, totally under-recognized on CPF.
They have really deep reflectors, bottom 1/2 is OP, top 1/2 is smooth. Project a tightly formed spot a good distance, and also narrow the spill cone of the peripheral light.

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
Does 4Sevens have a satisfaction guarantee?

"Our goal is to make you a satisfied customer. We take the time to pick the highest quality products to carry in our store.

In the case that you are not satisfied, returns are allowed within 30 days of receipt as long as the product is still in new, re-sellable condition. Return shipping costs are the responsibility of the buyer. Please contact us first before returning a product for exchange/refund/or warranty repair.'

carrot

Flashaholic
If you are satisfied with the quality of the Quark then you may wish to consider the Quark Turbo. It is a bit larger but it addresses both of your concerns (need more throw, would prefer tac UI).

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have been happy with the ET P100C2 and Malkoff M60 in terms of moderate throw with serviceable flood and a smooth transition in between. Either light is in the 200L neighborhood. The beam transition is pretty smooth in both lights from hot spot to flood.

Between the two the ET will throw a little farther and has a hotter spot in the middle. Neither light is excessively "tactical", like you may have found with the E2DL.

Ditto what the others said about the quark turbo head... I dont think its possible to get an XPG to out throw an XRE or XPE in a small/shallow/EDC OP reflector.

Good Luck!!

Last edited:

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened

Is this kind of return policy [for flashlights] uncommon outside of the U.S. ? Recently when my family decided a 4sevens Preon II, it took me a short amount of time to find several U.S. flashlight retailers that have such a policy where you can receive a full refund (or a refund for the purchase price minus a restocking fee) if you return the flashlight in like-new condition within x-number of weeks. We purchased our light from 4sevens.com, evaluated it, decided it wouldn't fit our needs and, per the terms of their return policy, returned it in like new condition in less than 30 days and received a full refund.

Last edited:

sabre7

Enlightened
Is this kind of return policy [for flashlights] uncommon outside of the U.S. ? Recently when my family decided a 4sevens Preon II, it took me a short amount of time to find several U.S. flashlight retailers that have such a policy where you can receive a full refund (or a refund for the purchase price minus a restocking fee) if you return the flashlight in like-new condition within x-number of weeks. We purchased our light from 4sevens.com, evaluated it, decided it wouldn't fit our needs and, per the terms of their return policy, returned it in like new condition in less than 30 days and received a full refund.

That kind of return policy is very common among retailers in the U.S.-- 4Sevens has become a favorite on this forum in large part because of their commitment to customer satisfaction.

In fairness, also like 4Sevens, most of the flashlight dealers on the "CPF Specials webpages/dealers" page have very generous return policies and also have CPF discounts and offer free or reasonable rates on international shipping too...

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=181841

Last edited:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
In Australia the consumer law generally spells out that you can return faulty products for refund or replacement but you can't do so simply because you changed your mind or didn't like it. It basically has to be "not merchandiseable or patently unfit for the purpose it was sold for".

That said, there are shops that will allow exchange outside those bounds but very few will do it on electricals.

If you have a look inside your brand new quark head after an hour or two's use and you'll find very obvious signs that the battery has been wearing the surface of the positive node (maybe that's just an issue on quarks, I don't know).

Obviously things are different here but to me that sort of marking renders the device unfit for sale as anything other than used goods. If I ordered a new torch and received it with marks like that from previous use I'd get very uppity with the seller and demand immediate refund or replacement (and that did actually happen with one torch I bought).

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have nothing agains the Quark it just isn't for me.

Consider getting the SureFire LX2 instead of the E2DL. It is a fantastic light, truly the best in its class.

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
definitely sounds like you need the quark turbo, which solves both your issues.