• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

What do you run in your Sundrop XR-U?

SFfanman

Enlightened
I know there have been some pictures posted in the original info thread but always wondering what some of you all have setup behind the lens and any thoughts and impressions as a result. Any change in output (by how much), runtime, and or throw? Pictures including beamshots are welcome too. ;)

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran a High CRI Seoul GDuP light engine in my XR-U. It had the best overall beam and color rendition. It wasn't as bright as an XR-E or MC-E, but it looked way better and was more useful for me. I'd rather have an XR-E and MC-E behind a reflector or behind a window as a mule.

SFfanman

Enlightened
I hear ya. It seems many these days are prefering custom mules over the Sundrop so I am guessing it is the larger viewing angles. :sssh: I swapped out my XR-E LE from the Haiku and definitely noticed an increase in lumens at each level yet I too am currently running a high CRI, the standard Nichia 083 because it is hard to stray too far from the warmer tints once you have experienced them.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Cree in the XR-U, Nichia 083 in the SunDrop. Both are cool and quite useful, the Cree having the edge in raw power.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maxspeeds (formerly :thumbsup:) Seoul in one XR-U - the original Nichia in the other. Occasionally I'll drop the Sandwich Shoppe engine into one of them. Whatever the engine, I love the pattern from the XR-U - if you aren't concerned with uber throw, then these lenses give wonderful, even coverage.

I know you have seen it, but there are a few images posted over here..

Good thread, sffanman! :twothumbs

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to see an XP-G in an XR-U head. I have a feeling it will look great at 1A. I'm waiting for the neutral bins to become available to us CPF'ers.

SFfanman

Enlightened
Thanks run4jc. :thumbsup: I just now figured out your username here. :ohgeez: :laughing: Call me a slow learner. Anyway, I agree with you Maxspeeds, I too had that curiousity and am hoping the warm XP-G when it does come out will be some shade in between the warm Mini 123 Quarks and the XR-E.

:popcorn:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to see an XP-G in an XR-U head. I have a feeling it will look great at 1A. I'm waiting for the neutral bins to become available to us CPF'ers.

I'd bet others have done this, too, but I pulled the engine out of my Haiku XP-G (being careful to make certain the tiny O-ring stayed in place on the back of the reflector!) and put it in an XR-U - it is AWESOME. A warm version would be amazing.

Thanks run4jc. :thumbsup: I just now figured out your username here. :ohgeez: :laughing: Call me a slow learner. Anyway, I agree with you Maxspeeds, I too had that curiousity and am hoping the warm XP-G when it does come out will be some shade in between the warm Mini 123 Quarks and the XR-E.

:popcorn:

Yup! Back in 2007 I ran 3 marathons - Disney in January, Marine Corps in late October, then New York a week (!!) later in early November. :ohgeez:

Don't run much any more - mostly bike - but back when I was running, it was 4 JC!

;)

Silversurfer

Enlightened
Nichia 183 in my XR-U. Very very useful. Purchased the LE from one of our custom builders.

Latest posts