How tough are your EDC torches - post your experiences

JCK

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I can't actually answer this question, as I don't currently own any torches albeit a dolphin light from ages ago, which is still going strong.

So I was wondering, more for self interest and a good topic starter, and a bit of info for myself. how tough is the EDC light you carry.

I mean in terms of daily rigours / abuse you put it through
i.e.
drops on concrete, tiles,
how much weight you think you could put on it, before it would break, could you run over it in a tank,
a truck,
small car,
motor bike,
pushbike,
stand on it.

Resistance to water (if you have tested this, on purpose or by accident)

Resistance to bumps, and knocks, maybe breaking glass, peoples skulls, etc

Just want to know your thoughts, and if anyone here has any quark, speak up, I'd like to hear your opinion. I'm trying to get an unbiased opinions of everyone's lights, but if anyone does say quark, well then it will be of interest to me, as this may be me next light purchase.

Anyway, post your thoughts

I'll start

My Eveready Dolphin Torch

Been dropped plenty of times, made of plastic body, so its all good, no cracks whatsoever in the past like 15 years i think we've owned it

Could maybe stand on it, but yeah its not so good in that department

Water resisitance - well it is a marine torch, so I think its waterproof, eitherway, its been in water plenty of times, and I bet unlike todays torches, it floats, so if you drop it over the side of the boat, will float and stay on.

Bumps and knocks - handled years of bumps and knock fine

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've accidentally put my old Arc AAA through the wash once, and the Fenix E01 twice. Both lights emerged smiling brightly. The Quark Mini 123 hit a hard floor once with no problem but a slight nick. No other notable accidents.

Geoff

Databyter

Enlightened
Well, my everyday EDC is a P1D CE. I've had it for years, since it came out, and even the holster still looks good. I take good care of my lights, but over the years, uno working on cars and stuff I have dropped it quite a few times. It has suffered a nick or two but not even really noticable and it works perfectly.

I just cleaned and lubed it for the first time ever just because I felt like a bad parent and OMG it's twisting sweet now. Still bright as the day I bought it too.

At work I still carry the P1D but my main work EDC is the TK-40, which I've dropped once from about 3 feet with no damage, it's been in some really wet weather all night long and never failed me.

Heres a link to how tough the TK 40 is.

There is actually a UTube video detailing this abuse as well.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/233856

Numb

Newly Enlightened
My Fenix E01 attached to my keys has so far survived a fall from 7 meters onto concrete, quite a few falls from 1 meter or less when I simply have dropped my keys on the floor, two rides in the washing machine, one ride in the dishwasher (ask my two year old son about that) and lots of bumps and scraping from other stuff I have in my pockets. It has some dings and are not quite as black as when I bought it but it still works and works and works... :twothumbs

wingnut86

Banned
Since I don't EDC, and I only carry one when I know I will be using or needing one, I don't really know how tough they are. Other than the usual short drops or being in my hunting/fishing bags with other hard items, they don't see a whole lot of wear...I do like to take care of things when I'm using them...:thumbsup:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a Quark AA, dropped it a few times on concrete floors 2-3 feet high: no damage.
It slipped from my hand once, flew about 5-6 feet and fell onto ceramic tiles: small flat surface on the rear end you barely can notice.
I've used it working with chemicals, never dropped it in, but I usually rinse it in cold/warm water for a minute, no problem there. Could probably roll on it with a small truck.

Dropped my TK40 3-4 times on asphalt and gravel about 3 feet high: 4 very small dents where the anodizing came off a bit (you have to look for it to find them), but no damage otherwise. As mentioned before, this light can take a LOT more abuse and still work.

Dropped my L2D on gravel at least twice 2-3 feet high : no noticeable scratches. I also put it in a glass of water for ~15 minutes while on; no problem there. Could probably roll on it with a small truck without any problems.

I also have a M1X (still brand new) and in comparison to the TK40, it most likely could withstand the same torture test, except perhaps the roll-over with the truck should be tested with a small car first, as the battery tube is a lot smaller and possibly could break where the head thread into it, but I'm not gonna find out the hard way myself :grin2: ... anyone want to give that light the same torture test as the TK40 ??? :popcorn:

They all work fine to this day; all good lights if you ask me.

Nebuchadnezzar

Newly Enlightened
I've beaten the snot out of an E2d and E1e. Tossed them across the shop a few times to show the other mechanics they weren't a waste of money.

Only other real damage, was on a Tiablo A9 with aspheric lens. It took a tumble off a counter onto tile and bent the head causing it to jump a few threads and become a real booger to get off.

My minimum expectation for an EDC light is to easily survive a drop from a few feet onto concrete. There are some great reviews posted here and youtube that show what light can take. Anymore I leave the torture and abuse to others, any damage mine suffer is infrequent and accidental.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Falls onto concrete seem to be a familiar theme.

Dropped my (hard-anodized) SureFire onto concrete once, not only were there no issues, but it hit on the bezel edge and didn't even leave a mark on the light.

Last edited:

strinq

Enlightened
I EDC a liteflux LF2XT.

Have dropped it a gazillion times onto concrete and marble etc.
There are marks but slight compared to the amount of times dropped.
The coolest thing? The ano stayed on perfect...

Tough little bugger.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Quark AA^2 here, I've dropped it hard quite a few times, some on concrete, showered with
naughty.gif
and dunked it. No problems, continues to work flawlessly.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long before I discovered this place and Surefire I used to use a 3D Mag for work. This thing was, and is still tough as nails. I do health and safety work and I am always crawling around in building spaces. Lots of hatches to access, some that haven't been opened in years are frozen shut. I used my Mag as a hammer to open these stuck hatches. I left it in a return air plenum at a job site. I only realized this as I was flying home. Five years later I got a contract to update the building hazmat plan. I remembered where I left my light and went to look for it. It was right where I had left it! Because it was in an airconditioned space the batteries maintained a stable temp of about 65 ˚F. They didn't bleed out! I still have that light, it rides in my truck tool kit. It looks alot older than its 20 years.

JCK

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies everyone, you've given me more faith in the torches you all have

737mech

Enlightened
During a main landing gear tire change on a 737 my buddy down jacked the airplane onto his Streamlight Stinger.The light was under the tire and was still on! After jacking the airplane back up to get his light out it only had a couple scratches on the body and the bezel was only slightly bent. Still works and he is uses it everynight.:eek:

flasherByNight

Enlightened
During a main landing gear tire change on a 737 my buddy down jacked the airplane onto his Streamlight Stinger.The light was under the tire and was still on! After jacking the airplane back up to get his light out it only had a couple scratches on the body and the bezel was only slightly bent. Still works and he is uses it everynight.:eek:

too bad he didn't take a pic, that would have been priceless

polkiuj

Enlightened
Every light I own, I test it for waterproofness. I'd bathe and put the light into the water as my only source of light. If it goes out, then it'll go back to the place I bought it from.

Quark AA passed with flying colors. It's pretty tough but dun expect it to be a tank. It is a small and light flashlight.

All other lights passed too. Fenix LD10, Eagletac T10LC2, Lummi Raw, Lummi Wee. Not sure if I've tried anything else (forgot).

If you want tank like features, the Quark Turbo is much tougher but still not a SUPER BEAST, if you know what I mean.

JCK

Newly Enlightened
@polkiuj - what would you say is a superbeast then. And EDC size. I don't think a TK40 is an EDC size, of course there may be someone out there who edc's it...

carrot

Flashaholic
Dropped my McLux Ti PD more than I care to count, went swimming with it, white water rafting with it in my pocket, used it in pouring rain and freezing blizzards, mountain biking and slid down a boulder on top of it (and the scrapes to prove it), road biking when I taco'd a wheel and landed on it...

I have complete faith in this light, I think I will die before it does...

JCK

Newly Enlightened
Dropped my McLux Ti PD more than I care to count, went swimming with it, white water rafting with it in my pocket, used it in pouring rain and freezing blizzards, mountain biking and slid down a boulder on top of it (and the scrapes to prove it), road biking when I taco'd a wheel and landed on it...

I have complete faith in this light, I think I will die before it does...

Very nice light, very expensive too, I suppose though to get that super tough light you got to pay top dollar though.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Threw my Nitecore EX10 GDP full force against a brick wall, picked it up and dropped it into a glass of water to prove why my light was better than some 3xAAA 9-LED showerhead POS light. After doing that a wee bit too often, the lens cracked but was replaced by Nitecore.

Have vigorously defended myself against an attacking brick wall by fending it off with the strike bezel of my Fenix TA30 (full force), slight nicks on the teeth of the bezel but other than that, light works great.