Glass lens breakage

robk

Enlightened
I went to use one of my Mag 2D with 1W LS tonight and discovered the glass lens was broken in many pieces. It uses a 30mm optic from Elektrolumens, and the lens basically holds the optic tightly to the LS. Maybe too much pressure? If Flashlightlens guy is reading, can you heat treat these maybe, for more strength? I was an optician for 25 years, heat tempering (or chem tempering) became a requirement for all glass lenses, and it really strengthened the lens. I just ordered glass lenses for my Brinkmann LX and MiniMag, but those don't put any stress on the lens. Anyone else break glass lenses?
Rob

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you may have failed to account for the expansion-contraction rates of the plastic used in the optic and the aluminum used in the head of the flashlight. You might have to provide some sort of cushion for the lens or optic to push against (such as a thicker o-ring between the lens and the bezel). I hope this helps.

Dan

robk

Enlightened
There was one o-ring between the glass and the front bezel. Not enough I guess. Next, I'll try some type of clear plastic donut (52.1mm O.D., 30mm I.D) to hold the 30mm optic in place, and allow several thousandths clearance between the glass lens and the optic, so there is no contact. Thanks for your input.
Rob

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where would you get such a plastic donut?

I have always wondered if there is a better way to keep presure off of the emiter & mag light lens when using 30mm optics. Any idea for a holder? I'm thinking black foam sheet that fits against the lense and just goes around the rim of the 30mm optic to cushion it. But I'd like to attach the optic somehow and keep it from touching the lens.... hmm.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
robk - Tempering is something that I have been looking into. I haven't found anyone yet that will do a piece that small. If anyone has any sources, please let me know.

robk

Enlightened
I just got a PM from Flashlightlens saying he's sending me a replacement for free! Good deal!

About the tempering, try contacting any large ophthalmic lens lab. Although glass is a rare material for eyeglass lenses nowadays, a lot of labs still have the equipment to do chemical or heat tempering. I've owned equipment that would hold lenses of any size. Here's a link to the OLA directory, I see you have United Optical in UT - might be worth a call. Note- tempering has to be done before any other treatments like AR coatings, etc.
OLA directory: http://www.ola-labs.org/directory/

Thanks again!
Rob