Is an LD20 OK for casual snorkeling?

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I'm going to hawaii next week and I just remembered that I was going snorkeling at night... and I hear renting gear can get really expensive. So I was wondering, would it be safe for me to use my LD20 from 10-15 feet underwater, probably only for a few seconds at a time? What if I drop it?

I really hope I don't need to get a separate dive light, but if I do could you please recommend one to me? I just squandered most of my budget on parts for an arduino project, so it needs to be as cheap as possible. Thanks so much,
will

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
^absolutely. I was actually just looking for my lanyard in case I do use it. And I still need to get some better lube than mineral oil.....

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i bet you can.

yeah i would clean and silicone lube it to make sure it's as tight as possible. then activate out of the water and refrain from clicking or twisting underwater.

of course if it does leak it'll be shot with the salt water. i broke my underwater camera(1.5m rating) on the first day of snorkeling in hawaii. still hasn't worked and it's been "drying" for a couple weeks now.

why not test it in the bathtub with fresh water to make sure there isn't any water ingress.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights are tested 30 minutes at 1 meter underwater without a movement. What you want to do is way beyond what they are waterproof tested too, it may work out, but it may also end with a flooded light.

If you do it, what I really don't recommend, o-rings must be mint and well covered in lube, the tailcap must be OK and I definetely would neither activate the light under water, nor change modes, nor turn the head.

Disassemble the light each evening and reassemble before going underwater, relubing if necessary.

There's a fair chance your light won't survive Hawai... :eek:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^good idea. I might just do that.

^wow.... I don't want that to happen. It would suck to blow $60 on vacation... plus I don't want to have to spend too much time maintaining a light in hawaii.

flasherByNight

Enlightened
probably only for a few seconds at a time?

You say a "few seconds at a time" which I assume you mean of RUNTIME, however that misses the point that it'll most likely be immersed ENTIRE time you're snorkeling....So as others have said I'd probably turn it on before getting in, then just leaving it on till you get out.

It might also be a good idea to have some distilled water on hands afterwards to clean it out if it does get doused....

apontes

Newly Enlightened
I don't think the LD20 will be watertight at that depth.

You can get a fairly good dive light for around 50 bucks. Pelican recoil comes to mind: polymer body, rated to 500ft.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
You say a "few seconds at a time" which I assume you mean of RUNTIME, however that misses the point that it'll most likely be immersed ENTIRE time you're snorkeling....So as others have said I'd probably turn it on before getting in, then just leaving it on till you get out.

It might also be a good idea to have some distilled water on hands afterwards to clean it out if it does get doused....
I meant I will only be at 10-15 feet for a few seconds at a time.
I don't think the LD20 will be watertight at that depth.

You can get a fairly good dive light for around 50 bucks. Pelican recoil comes to mind: polymer body, rated to 500ft.
Alright, that might be a bit high compared to renting something. I'll see though, I'm sure they have some stores over there.
actually, how is night snorkeling different?

i remember the boat guy saying sharks come out at night. not sure if that was accurate.

i had my eye on this light but not sure on how it fairs in use.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=215107

I don't actually know, but I've also heard that you will get more sharks. I'll take a look at that link.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think for your usage would be a good idea to just put it in one or two plastic bags and seal them. Should work for snorkling.

rayman

kramer5150

Flashaholic
If you are in reasonably good physical condition or a good swimmer, with fins you can go pretty deep. Beyond the limits of what the LD20 is intended for. And then theres the added dynamic pressure of being in motion under water.

Its a risk, probably not one worth taking... IMHO of course:thumbsup:

Good Luck with whatever decision you finally make.

There was a mythbuster episode where they tested the myth about sharks being attracted to underwater lights. IIRC the myth was confirmed, being curious/intelligent creatures. FWIW they were diving though and not snorkeling on the surface. They found that Just floating there in the dark under water will go somewhat un-noticed.

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's possible. If you turn it on and leave it on and if the spring is strong enough you may be OK. More than likely the lens is where the leak would occur at snorkeling depths.

If it's a well made light it could well work out however.

If it does leak take it completely apart and wash everything including circuit boards in warm water for a few minutes to get rid of salt crystals and then pour rubbing alcohol on everything to get rid of the water and let it air out.

If the circuit board shorts out look at the tracings and using an eraser as well and Q-tips and alcohol clean off any black or brown deposits caused by the saltwater shorting things out.

Unlike low circuit circuits (cell phone) which will be ruined in salt water it's fairly likely that a led and it's circuits can be saved. I'm a diver and unfortunately I know this from first hand experience.

If you have any lights with a twisty tailcap rather than clicky that would be the better choice as well.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
why not test it in the bathtub with fresh water to make sure there isn't any water ingress.
There's quite a significant pressure difference between a bathtub and 15-feet down.

Since these lights are only rated up to 3-feet for 30-minutes frankly I think it would be very foolish to take as your only illumination for a night dive. Use the right tool for the job so you don't get left in the dark.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
An even better choice is that leave your $60 flashlight at home and go to Walmart or somewhere similar and buy a small aluminum led flashlight for $15 and convert the clicky tail switch to a twisty by taking the switch out and covering the hole with epoxy.

Then take out the front lens and using marine grade clear silicone sealant put a bead on both the front and back and put it back in.

I've done this with a cheap $16 DX light and dove with it to 100 feet and was able to twist it on and off at 100 feet without flooding.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
^wow.... I don't want that to happen. It would suck to blow $60 on vacation... plus I don't want to have to spend too much time maintaining a light in hawaii.
Honestly, if you lose your illumination on a night dive then I think the cost of replacing the light would be the least of your worries.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's possible. If you turn it on and leave it on and if the spring is strong enough you may be OK. More than likely the lens is where the leak would occur at snorkeling depths.

If it's a well made light it could well work out however.

If it does leak take it completely apart and wash everything including circuit boards in warm water for a few minutes to get rid of salt crystals and then pour rubbing alcohol on everything to get rid of the water and let it air out.

If the circuit board shorts out look at the tracings and using an eraser as well and Q-tips and alcohol clean off any black or brown deposits caused by the saltwater shorting things out.

Unlike low circuit circuits (cell phone) which will be ruined in salt water it's fairly likely that a led and it's circuits can be saved. I'm a diver and unfortunately I know this from first hand experience.

If you have any lights with a twisty tailcap rather than clicky that would be the better choice as well.
I had a twisty gerber that I'm currently trying to take apart, however there appear to be pounds of loc-tite in the threads in the head (trying to remove reflector), and the only other twisty I have is my maratac AAA... I want to keep my EDC safe.

However, to be accurate, it is a night snorkel so the consequences aren't quite the same.
yep. I'm not super concerned about safety, just missing the cool stuff underwater.

I like the idea of making a click light a twisty... I have a perfect candidate laying around somewhere. It's a cheap-o direct driven 3xAAA that actually feels pretty sturdy.

I think I'm not going to bring the LD20 on this trip, so I'll probably just end up getting some cheap pelican nemo or waterproofing another cheap light.

flasherByNight

Enlightened
What about sticking it into a clear waterproof battery case (or something equivalent).

Like those tube types....
(plus it would float)

Latest posts