Need some help picking Australia-safe flashlight

U

user1016

Hi guys

Just looking for some general advice here.

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have a friend who lives in a property surrounded by bush.

In recent times she has had a creepy old man stalking and waiting outside her house (as well as many strange people, due to the area she's in).

She's asked me to set out to find a good flashlight for the job. I wouldn't say one explicitly for self defense, but one that can illuminate the area well enough for her to get a good look at this *******, as well as enough to blind him or send him running (perhaps a bloody bright LED with a fast strobe?)

Here's what is required in the flashlight:

Reliability: She's not very technical, so she needs something she can pull off the charger (or if necessary, have rechargeable NimH batteries or something) she can just stick in and click, and know that every time (or 99% of the time) it will turn on.

Safe: A flashlight that doesn't mess with ridiculously and dangerously high voltages. Being in the bush, there's lots of elements that need to be considered. One would be the elements of Australian weather. We get humidity, heat, rain and dry seasons. I'd be wary of getting anything that has a slight chance of exploding if dropped or a bulb that may catch the ground alight if broken or anything like that (may cause a bushfire), as well as one that cannot produce lethal shocks once again, in case there's an accident.

Bright: A torch with a nice high lumen-count. Over 500 lumens would be nice, the brighter the better (but not as far as to violate the two above factors as they're important).

Good battery life: We all have fun here squeezing 650 lumens out of our Maglite Solitaires even though they last for 2 minutes, but if possible, would need something with a nice decent runlife. I wouldn't expect too much for a bright bulb, but I'm guessing perhaps 60-120 minutes (or more).

Originally I had set her up with a Maglite 3D + Seoul P7 mod but the LED eventually failed, turned to a bluish tint and began to burn her hands (I was surprised how hot it burned). My next idea was to just settle for a Led Lenser P7, but I'm just worried, I want something that is really going to let this old guy know to bugger off (something dazzling or to impair his night vision entirely).

Oh by the way, before you Americans suggest it: Self Defense is not an option in Australia. Fitting the torch to a shotgun or fitting even a bevel on the front would become a huge legal issue here. I carry my Maglite 4D (with the hopes that I needn't use it in self-defense) but I know that in the worst case, it's a flashlight, and it is not equipped to be used as a baton or battering weapon. It's only made to be used to see in the dark.

Anyhow, this is why I require a nice strong torch.

Can anyone help me out or is this an unrealistic expectation for a flashlight?

Moka

Enlightened
Hey man,
Fellow Aussie this end too...
The Fenix TK40 Available Here
pretty much fits all the above details... It's LED, No HighVoltage, No Explodey if dropped... etc...
Decent battery life on it, take Rechargeable Ni-MH, albeit 8 of 'em, but puts out 630 Lumens of rather blinding light...
If you use the discount code 'CPF8' 8% hops of the order... free shipping around the world, but do recommend the shipping upgrades...

Other than that This may come somewhere close, but it takes CR123s or 2 18650 Rechargeable Li-Ions... Prolly not the best for easy Availability...

Hope that helps dude... I reckon the TK40 fits every part of what you mentioned... Even has some strobe modes on there if she really feels like using them... :nana:

Cheers,
Moka

PS: What area's she living in by the way...?

Last edited:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi James,

I think the Olight M30 is a great fit.

Solid build quality
90 minutes on High (700 emitter lumens).
Rugged aluminum body with type III hard anodization
Water resistant to IP68
Shatter-resistant ultra clear lens, anti-scratching and anti-slip
and the best part is it has a separate switch just for the strobe so your friend can go directly for that if she wants to without accidentally getting stuck on the in-between useless mode :).

Certainly many other good lights out there but in terms of size (body diameter and weight) this one should be easy enough for a "she" to handle compared to some of the bigger lights available.

I like the Surefire M6 too but thinking it may be a little large for a "she".
The Fenix Tk40 is a great contender too but in a panic, the UI may be a little complicated to get to strobe, then back to turbo (high) whereas with the Olight, getting to strobe is instant.

Summing up:
Olight M30, Bright, No BS interface, Easy to handle, Reliable
oh and the price is reasonable too.

tgwnn

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
When in doubt, break out the M6! But, seriously, the "white incan" whopper beam of the M6 is VERY intimidating...and because non-light people recognize incan light sources already, I believe this bugger would be more intimidated by it...although

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
When in doubt, break out the M6! But, seriously, the "white incan" whopper beam of the M6 is VERY intimidating...and because non-light people recognize incan light sources already, I believe this bugger would be more intimidated by it...although the price of it keeps most away...another good incan option would be a rechargeable ROP set-up...

Moka

Enlightened
Nice TGWNN, was gonna suggest that, but for a non-flashaholic, CR123s and 18650s are honestly either rathe expensive in the case of CR123s and EXTREMELY rare in the case of 18650 cells...

You've suggested a light that's renewed my interest in olights though =P :naughty: :laughing:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice TGWNN, was gonna suggest that, but for a non-flashaholic, CR123s and 18650s are honestly either rathe expensive in the case of CR123s and EXTREMELY rare in the case of 18650 cells...

You've suggested a light that's renewed my interest in olights though =P :naughty: :laughing:

Thanks.

I did have a 2nd thought about that batteries though.
AA's are definitely a plus in terms of cost and easy-to-get with the TK40.

Still if the "she" is ok with buying some 16340's or 18650's and a charger, no worry about cost or availability and the M30 really is a fine peace of flashahollory ;)

The rechargeable 16340's are about the same price as buying c123's at a convenience store (though the surefire primary's in mine have lasted ages).

tgwnn

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Mate, go down to Supercheap and buy her one of those yellow rechargeable spotlights. Twenty six bucks and she's set for a year (whence it will refuse to charge and you need to buy another).

They are the absolute best bang for your buck you'll get and light up a huge area for a long distance whilst being very simple and easy to operate. Last time I lit up an intruder in my paddock with one he jumped the fence and ran off through the creek, scrabbled up the other side and ran away. I'll admit it wasn't just the light that scared him but it helped make him well aware of what was coming. In your girlfriend's place such a light will also help her have the best chance of identifying her stalker.

McAllan

Enlightened
Yeah. The TK40 seems to fit the bill.

Or if she has a little patience then wait for the TK45. While not many more lumen (630 vs wass it 700 or 750 or the like isn't a great deal in reality as vision is logarithmic) it is however supposed to have better throw which I believe is a bit important in this situation. The more throw be brighter the hotspot and therefore more blinding.

Jeffa

Newly Enlightened
Get a Big mean dog as a pet, take up the game of baseball and get a Louiseville Slugger, put out a few bear errr I mean raccoon traps and the M30 was a good idea also. :thumbsup:

hoongern

Enlightened
Thanks.

I did have a 2nd thought about that batteries though.
AA's are definitely a plus in terms of cost and easy-to-get with the TK40.

Still if the "she" is ok with buying some 16340's or 18650's and a charger, no worry about cost or availability and the M30 really is a fine peace of flashahollory ;)

The rechargeable 16340's are about the same price as buying c123's at a convenience store (though the surefire primary's in mine have lasted ages).

tgwnn

Personally, I'd be a bit wary about the TK40. If the user is not used to handling multiple cells, there's a chance that one day they'll put in one cell the wrong way in. Especially when there are 8 of them to deal with.

Just an idea I had - I think I recall that FiveMega has some hosts which have a charging port built right into them, so you only need to plug it into the charger. There may be something similar?

I'm sure there are also other options - I'm just suggesting one of them :)

Hfili

Newly Enlightened
The TK30 has the same output as the TK40 but can use one or two 18650 cells. It also has the option to use CR123's that she could use when she is charging her 18650's. The smaller body diameter may also be more appealing if she has smaller hands.

Plus the interface is better suited to go from turbo to strobe with just a turn of the head. Don't know if this light is available down there but it is worth a search. Hope this helps.

Gryffin

Enlightened
The Fenix TK40 Available Here
pretty much fits all the above details... It's LED, No HighVoltage, No Explodey if dropped... etc...
Decent battery life on it, take Rechargeable Ni-MH, albeit 8 of 'em, but puts out 630 Lumens of rather blinding light...

The problem with NiMH is self-discharge: you don't want her to grab the light three weeks from now, and find the batteries are dead.

If you go that route, make sure you equip the light with GOOD low-self-discharge cells, like Eneloops. Also, you might want to add in a second four-cell charger, so she can recharge the whole lot at once.

U

user1016

Thanks very much for the information guys, if anyone else has suggestions, please post them:

This is how I gather it so far:

OLIGHT M30

+ 700 Lumens! Very bright for a reasonably sized flashlight

+ Strobe mode included

+ Front and rear striking bevel. This can also be used in emergencies to knock out glass windows. It can also be used to bash someone in the face to get them to back off.

+ Water resistant, anti-shatter/slip/scratch lens.

~ 1.5 hours runtime

~ $180, not too bad for price but could be cheaper

- Complicated batteries design (takes either 4, 3 or 2 of certain batteries.)

FENIX TK40:
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=696

+ 630 lumens @ 2 hours

+ Has strobe function

+ 300 meters range

- $157, could be cheaper alternatives out there.

- Takes 8 x AA batteries, that's a lot.

SUREFIRE M6
http://www.legear.com.au/SureFire-M6-Guardian-Flashlight-Australia-p/surefire-m6.htm

+ Whopping strong beam, very intimidating

+ Bevels for defense/glass smashing in emergencies

+ Good brand, reliable, safe.

~ 500 lumens, you're really paying for a brand here, any other torch can knock out 500 lumens for less than half the price and size.

~ Large design

- $740, extremely expensive!

MALKOFF WILDCAD MD4
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/malkoff-md4-wildcat-p-70.html

+ 550 Lumens

+ Runtime 1 hour 56 minutes

+ 450+ feet range

- Complicated batteries (4 x Lith-Ion or 2 x 18650 batteries)

- $239 Expensive

- Larger than most other options

LED LENSER P7
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260566790264&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

~ 200 Lumens

~ Takes 4 x AAA batteries

+ 700 feet range

+ $90, only two-digit price

+ Small, compact, easy to use

+ LED Lenser Technology means that when on "Floodlight' mode, there's no gaping big O hole in the middle, just white light.

- Not as bright as the other options. Would make a good purse torch

- Kind of overpriced for a small flashlight but still relatively good bang for your buck

MAGLITE MINI 2X AA
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190311903011&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

+ Extremely cheap, under $25

+ Reliable

+ Compact

- 55 Lumens, not as bright as the other options

- Not ideal for floodlighting a yard, only good for navigating hallways at best

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget the old EverReady and Dorcy rechargeable flashlights from Bunnings... Look through this website and make a selection. Personal recommendation is to get the Fenix TK40, it operates off AA batteries that are available just about anywhere in Australia. Maximum output from 8AAs, but can run off 4AAs if it has to.

Or if she's really game go for the LED Lenser X21... runs off 4 D cells.

I've just bought a Jetbeam M1X for my wife's Ford XR6, she loves it and reckons its the best flashlight ever!

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/255044

Last edited:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
The only 2 lights that I can recommend for your female friend who isn't too tech savy, the first would be the ITP A6 Polestar, the second would be the Olight M30.

UberLumens

Newly Enlightened
+10 for Olight M30

Your needs basically describe this light perfectly. I have one and love it, grab some cr123's and your good.

Low medium and high all very useful levels.
strobe is effective and has a direct access when off as a bonus

rugged and reliable (battery magazine included also hard case and other needed items)

Tailstands for candle mode in power outage, not heavy or huge, an excellent light.

you wont be disappointed

carrot

Flashaholic
The TK40 is the first light that came to mind but cycling 8 NiMH is annoying.

I think an Olight M30, as many posters suggested, would be a far less complicated although slightly more expensive solution. The M30 in its 2x18650 lithium ion configuration is both rechargeable and runs for 1h20m, very reasonable. If you choose to go the slightly smaller route (if carrying is an issue) you'll get about 10 minutes less runtime with 2x18500 lithium ion. Just sayin, because I love my Olight...

You can of course also pop in 4xCR123 or 3xCR123 if you forget to charge it, as well (remember to use only high quality batteries from reputable manufacturers).

Alex K.

Newly Enlightened
What about a Streamlight Sl-20XP LED? It isn't 600 lumens, but it is rechargeable and and and uses an LED. Also, its length can make it a baton if needed, but due to the polymer construction it doesn't automatically classify it as a weapon, like a MagCharger. It is available in safety orange and yellow, as well as black.