I saw Bart Starr

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I sat 4 seats down from Bart Starr at DFW Airport tonight. I knew he looked familiar but couldn't place him. In the 10 minutes he sat there 3 different people went up to him and interrupted his reading the paper. In all 3 cases he stood, smiled and spent at least a minute talking, really talking to each one. After he talked to the third guy he boarded his plane. I asked the 3rd guy who he was and he told me. I couldn't believe I didn't recognize him. I followed him as a boy and still have his trading card somewhere. He said he told Mr. Star he was a fan and remembered watching him as a boy. He asked him for his autograph for his son and was told to write down his address and he would send his son a signed photo. I was amazed. This Hall of Fame quarterback hasn't played football for over 30 years and he is still giving back to the sport. Can you imagine how many thousands of times he has been approached for an autograph, conversation or comment from a perfect stranger? I wanted to write this because I was so impressed that he took the time and seemed to genuinely care about talking to these people. It wasn't, "thanks, what do you want me to sign?" He went out of his way to actual visit with these people like he knew them all his life. Mr. Starr, you are a true ambassador for football and the Hall of Fame. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
AH, Bart Starr- As far as I'm concerned he is the greatest quarterback of all time...

He still does a lot of charity work too from what I understand

I was never a big fan of spectator sports, but I always admired him the most.

Big Tex

Enlightened
I always liked Starr except when he was beating us in the "Ice Bowl". lol That was a tough loss for the Boys.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I saw him and could ask him one question, I would ask what it was like to play for the great Vince Lombardi.

My only sports celebrity talk was getting to say a quick hi to Kevin McHale in the mid 80s. Don't realize how tall these guys are until he dwarfed my 6' 4" buddy.

Ya know Big Tex, we haven't seen a real extreme weather football playoff game in a long time, either be it extreme cold or blizzard conditions.

Brock

Flashaholic
I have seen him quite a few times around town. He still lives up here in Green Bay. I have seen him twice at a resturant we go to, nice guy. Still get to most of the Packer games too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif