New Fenix LD20 XP-G R4 205 Max Lumens

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Just saw this on Amazon, will be out March 22, 2010. One of the new pics shows automatically centered LED system. Looks like the LD10 is also getting the XPG upgrade, but only 7 more Lumens on turbo than Q5.

"The Fenix LD20 LED flashlight is digitally regulated and digitally controlled. It has two output modes which produce a total of six levels of output. These modes not only allow the user to select the best compromise between brightness and runtime for any given task, but they also help to aid in an emergency. The LD20 does all this and still retains a very compact size and uses a commonly found AA battery. If you're looking for solid reliability, digitally-regulated brightness, and compact size, this Fenix is for you. ◎ Cree XP-G LED (R4) with lifespan of 50,000 hours ◎ Two modes (6 types) of output, generation/turbo selected by turning the bezel (patented) - General Mode: 9 lumens (71hrs) -> 50 lumens (13hrs) 105 lumens (5hrs) -> SOS ◎ Turbo Mode: 205 lumens (2hrs) -> Strobe ◎ Max beam length:135 meters ◎ Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness ◎ Uses two 1.5V AA ( Alkaline, Ni-MH, Lithium ) batteries, inexpensive and widely available ◎ 150mm (Length) x 21.5mm (Diameter) ◎ Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum ◎ Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish ◎ 60-gram weight (excluding batteries) ◎ Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard ◎ Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating ◎ Push-button tail cap switch ◎ Capable of standing up securely on a flat surface to serve as a candle ◎ Anti-roll, slip-resistant body design ◎ Included accessories: holster, lanyard, body clip, two spare o-rings, and a rubber switch boot "

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thanks for the Heads-Up. :thumbsup:

Too bad Fenix is only using the R-4 bin emitters.

4Sevens has been offering R-5's for MONTHS already !

:cool:
_

brted

Enlightened
The Fenix website says the TK11 and TK12 are now R5. Both the LD10 and LD20 got R4's. Amazon vendor Ace Photo Digital is showing the R4 LD10 and LD20 in stock as of March 8.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads up. I wonder how the throw distance of the XP-G version will compare to the XR-E version.

Fenix has updated their page on the LD20:

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=66

Note that it says that lithium batteries are OK. I don't think that was the case with the previous XR-E model.

Last edited:

McAllan

Enlightened
Note that it says that lithium batteries are OK. I don't think that was the case with the previous XR-E model.

Yes they did. Primary "1.5 v" lithium like Energizer L91 is OK. LiIon is not.

Re. throw I'd be very interested in that one too. "Shallow" reflector. As far as I know for great throw you need a deep reflector to catch more of the light. Of course the spill will decrease in diameter but I prefer that.
And then there's the LED die size. XP-G is larger than XR-E but XR-E has a lense to make it appear bigger and perhaps also light more forward (in a flood style) which then lessens the amount that hits the reflector....

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Curious... did the run times increase? Its possible its more efficient.

AFIAK the LD20 has always accepted Lithium primaries, not to be confused with 14500 Lithium Ion.

fannin

Enlightened
does it have any advantage over the quark aa2?

just want to know...:shrug:
one advantage might be it's availability in the u.k without getting hit by a nasty customs charge or having to buy from poland at a jacked up price

looks like it still has disadvantages like no low mode though, how hard would that be fenix?

i'll probably buy it though as the ld20 is my favourite light

steinstern

Newly Enlightened
is it right, that the driver of the ld20 is more efficient than the driver of the quarks?

noisebeam

Newly Enlightened
Will this have less of a hotspot than the previous LD20? I want a slightly larger hotspot which I why I returned an LD20 I had tried.

Newly Enlightened
looks like it still has disadvantages like no low mode though, how hard would that be fenix?

I seriously hope there ISN'T a low mode like the Quarks. It's just one more useless mode to get in the way as I never use 0.2 lumens. I have a dedicated light for that. Fenix provides me with a better set of levels for my uses.

fannin

Enlightened
I seriously hope there ISN'T a low mode like the Quarks. It's just one more useless mode to get in the way as I never use 0.2 lumens. I have a dedicated light for that. Fenix provides me with a better set of levels for my uses.
i keep my nitecore d10 in bed with me in case i wake up and need light, which happens a lot, it goes much lower than my ld20 but is still slightly too bright when you wake up at night

i would really appreciate the ld20 having a 1 lumen or lower mode for this reason, then it really would be pretty much perfect in every way, for me that is, as i love the size, weight, long runtime on turbo (way long), warm tint and the build quality which beats my eagletac p20a2 and absolutely kicks the *** of my dereelight javelin

something weird though, my buddy just got an ld10, and (while it is a bit cooler tintwise than my pretty warm ld20) it is pretty much the same brightness on turbo as the 2xaa ld20, i was blown away by it