Surefire edc options

joshth09

Newly Enlightened
Ive been looking and I dont think I have found a suitable surefire for my needs. I almost exclusively buy edc lights and have yet to own a surefire but would love to due to all the rave reviews(even tho I am skeptical on the lumen readings).

Tail standing is a big deal for me. So that seems to rule out most surefires.

Is there a single 123 or 123x2 surefire(led only) that can tailstand?

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a Surefire Single CR123, a good bet with the E1B w/ E2DL tailcap or Z68. For a 2xCR123 the E2DL will tailstand in its stock form due to the tailcap.

stallion2

Enlightened
i bought an LX2 a couple months back, never intended to EDC it. when it arrived i found it to be a little smaller and a lot lighter than i intended so it immediately moved in the #1 slot. it can't tailstand which isn't a big deal to me but you could buy an E2DL switch to put on it...i've been toying w/ that thought for awhile. unfortunately their switches cost as much or more than many good lights.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2DL switch will not fit on the LX2.

Instead, you can buy a small delrin ring/tail shroud for tailstanding for most Surefire lights (E-series and A-series, including LX2).

i have those tailstanding rings on both my L2 and A2
one of my favorite mods to my surefires, reduces wear on the tailcap button from rubbing on stuff (like inside pockets) allows tailstanding, and reduces the likelyhood of damage to the switch if i ever have to hit someone with the light

toby_pra

Flashaholic
joshth09;3311665[B said:
](even tho I am skeptical on the lumen readings). [/B]

Why that?

Surefire is one brand that specifies only the real lumens (out of front) and
do not overstate like many other brands do...:thinking:

joshth09

Newly Enlightened
Why that?

Surefire is one brand that specifies only the real lumens (out of front) and
do not overstate like many other brands do...:thinking:

Yeah I know...that wasnt a real criticism I have, Ive just never seen the 100 surefire lumens compared to 235 fenix lumens or 250 lumapower lumens. I dont know where it would fit in is really my concern. I just wish there was an industry wide standard that everyone abided by....wouldnt that be somethin!

Gatsby

Enlightened
Personally I only EDC single cell Surefires - currently a modded KX2 (Milky Creemator) on an E1L or Vital Gear F1B body. But I pocket carry and the two cell lights are a bit long for business casual pocket carry.

I still use some different E series double cell configurations on the weekends however. That is one of the most compelling things about Surefires E series - the various options and compatibility between many parts enables you to mostly create the light you want, particularly when you factor in modifications.

Still the light that hooked me was my E1L dual mode. I chose this as I like low to come on first and it has a very nice runtime - the E1B is a nice option if you want high level first and it is a bit brighter (with diminished runtime). I think either would make a great first EDC Surefire.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive been looking and I dont think I have found a suitable surefire for my needs.
then, why do You have to get one?
Just because some ppl in here extremely offensive argue how good they are - compared to other makers
(flaming already starts a few posts above, thats usual, unfortunately)

imho they are way behind in most everything and extremely overpriced - at least here where I live.
Machining is perfect, thats for sure.

PS, just to stop the flamers in their tracks to react and accusing me - something that is also usual :rolleyes:
... I have a bunch of SFs, my 18650 Flupic led modded 6P is my most used and "best" light, so please dont tell me I should "get one to understand"

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive been looking and I dont think I have found a suitable surefire for my needs. I almost exclusively buy edc lights and have yet to own a surefire but would love to due to all the rave reviews(even tho I am skeptical on the lumen readings).

Tail standing is a big deal for me. So that seems to rule out most surefires.

Is there a single 123 or 123x2 surefire(led only) that can tailstand?
All SureFire Defender Series can tailstand. And most E series can tailstand by adding a Z68 tailcap.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Just because some ppl in here extremely offensive argue how good they are - compared to other makers
(flaming already starts a few posts above, thats usual, unfortunately

There has been no flaming, everyone is abiding by the thread. Having said that....
imho they are way behind in most everything and extremely overpriced.

Outstanding job lol...I rest my case.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
There has been no flaming, everyone is abiding by the thread. Having said that....

This dude's been here for 8 years bitching and whining forever about SureFire like a big cry baby. "Whaaa, SureFires are overpriced, whaaaa, they are outdated, whaaaa I want them so bad but I can't afford them!!".

hk dave

Newly Enlightened
One of my primary EDCs is a Surefire E2D LED Defender. Anytime I'm wearing cargo pants the light that goes with me is the E2D. Before I had a plethora of flashlights, it was the light that went with me everywhere.

It does however use 2 CR123 Primaries not just 1.

Punches out 200 real lumens though.

Tailstands, has two modes... i believe 10 lumens and 200 lumens or something like that. Has a great clip.

Mine's been everywhere with me in nearly every condition i could imagine... the edges are all worn off from constant use... the anodizing is wearing off... but boy does it look sexy... and still going strong.

I know you mentioned wanting something that uses 1 primary... but this flashlight is thin and sexy... i had to mention it. :)

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2DL switch will not fit on the LX2.

Instead, you can buy a small delrin ring/tail shroud for tailstanding for most Surefire lights (E-series and A-series, including LX2).

Carrot, you are a fountain of wisdom. I am going to order one of these for my E1L just as soon as I get home. That fixes the one little niggling issue I have with the light, well 2, no tailstanding and need to twist to lockout the tailcap to avoid activation in the pocket (still a good idea if you are going to be scrambling around, but the ring should adequately guard the clicky, I would think, just riding in my jacket pocket for "normal" EDC duties).

That said, I'll put in a recommendation for the E1L. High is really about 80 lumens, at least if mine is any indcation, with good throw, and low is closer to 10 lumens than the advertised 3. Good runtimes at leach level. Very useful levels, though no really low, low.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yeah I know...that wasnt a real criticism I have, Ive just never seen the 100 surefire lumens compared to 235 fenix lumens or 250 lumapower lumens. I dont know where it would fit in is really my concern. I just wish there was an industry wide standard that everyone abided by....wouldnt that be somethin!
There is! Since it was published SureFire have started using it.
They should be since they were part of the industry group that developed ANSI/NEMA FL 1...

stallion2

Enlightened
This dude's been here for 8 years bitching and whining forever about SureFire like a big cry baby. "Whaaa, SureFires are overpriced, whaaaa, they are outdated, whaaaa I want them so bad but I can't afford them!!".
(flaming already starts a few posts above, thats usual, unfortunately)
imho they are way behind in most everything and extremely overpriced - at least here where I live.
Machining is perfect, thats for sure.

HAHAHAHA, sorry this is my first encounter on CPF w/ such exchanges 'tween members. UltraFIRE, SacredFIRE, TrustFIRE, StarFIRE, SuperFIRE, UniqueFIRE, SpiderFIRE, SmartFIRE....the similarities just have to be coincidence:ohgeez:

carrot

Flashaholic
Man, I haven't seen OregonShooter on the boards in years!

In any case, these delrin tail shrouds are made by Rothrandir aka Valiant Concepts. Rothrandir is a longtime member here but he is usually too busy eating or machining to post often.

Latest posts