What multimeter to get

alexmin

Newly Enlightened
Guys,

what multimeters do you have?
Right now I have a $30 digital multimeter from Radio Shack and want to upgrade to a better one.

I need an advise on what features I should be looking for in a multimeter.
A specific brand/model recommendation would be great too.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wholeheartedly recommend Fluke meters. You really can't go wrong with a Fluke. If you can afford them.

I would recommend having the following measures for any meter.

Voltage
Current
Resistance
Capacitance
Frequency

Measuring inductance may be helpful in flashlight electronics work too. Depending on how in depth you want to get.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Sears has a good selection at all levels up to Fluke, I believe. I was going to suggest a $20 Craftsman, but I guess that won't do. It might, however, still be better than one from the Shack.

Geoff

HKJ

Flashaholic
Fluke meters are very good, but expensive and you do not get as many features as some cheaper meters has.

For flashlight use you do not need much: DC voltage, DC current (including 10A or 20A range) and a ohm range will cover most (You have probably seen this guide).
For a more universal meter, look for one that is marked with CAT III and CAT IV and has a fuses on the ampere ranges.
Some meters can be connected to a PC, making it possible to log measurements, this can be used for runtime and a lot of other measurements.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are really looking for an accurate meter, get a really cheap digital meter for a few $ or £ plus a "Precision Voltage Reference Source, 5.000 volts, 0.02% accuracy" ... I have just sent for one of these at a cost of $14-55 (£9-44) plus postage to the UK (off Ebay) ... All you need to do is check what your cheap meter reads for the reference voltage and that will show you how far off your meter is at five volts ... This means that you can accurately correct the 4.2 volt cell reading to within 0.02% or better ... So this device is at least 40 times more accurate than the meter ... You won't get better accuracy anywhere for any sensible price ... I use a Maplins £4 or £5 meter which has an accuracy of 0.8% on the 20 volt range (0.5% on the one volt range) ... A similar model is available in the US for about half this price.

The 5.00 volt Reference will work on any meter ... I will check my meter every month or so just to be certain that the cheap meter is still OK ... This is still a more accurate method than relying on a mega-expensive meter alone ... You might have friends in electronics who could build you one cheaper ... I considered that, but this one comes with a statement of how far it is away from 5.000 volts, so it can give you an absolute value better than 0.02% ... That is good enough for most people.

You could use your Radio Shack meter having checked it against a reference and corrected the reading as necessary ... No need for a mega-expensive meter when you have a much more accurate reference.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
+1 on March.Brown's post. My 2% reference, 5.0001V at 72 degrees, showed my Cen-Tech P27772 to be spot on.

Bill

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use this one, but after reading the test/review of this one, I think I would pay the extra $ for it. Check out the accuracy comparisons between it and a Fluke 177 at the bottom of the page.

If you are really looking for an accurate meter, get a really cheap digital meter for a few $ or £ plus a "Precision Voltage Reference Source, 5.000 volts, 0.02% accuracy" ... I have just sent for one of these at a cost of $14-55 (£9-44) plus postage to the UK (off Ebay) ... All you need to do is check what your cheap meter reads for the reference voltage and that will show you how far off your meter is at five volts ... This means that you can accurately correct the 4.2 volt cell reading to within 0.02% or better ... So this device is at least 40 times more accurate than the meter ... You won't get better accuracy anywhere for any sensible price ... I use a Maplins £4 or £5 meter which has an accuracy of 0.8% on the 20 volt range (0.5% on the one volt range) ... A similar model is available in the US for about half this price.

The 5.00 volt Reference will work on any meter ... I will check my meter every month or so just to be certain that the cheap meter is still OK ... This is still a more accurate method than relying on a mega-expensive meter alone ... You might have friends in electronics who could build you one cheaper ... I considered that, but this one comes with a statement of how far it is away from 5.000 volts, so it can give you an absolute value better than 0.02% ... That is good enough for most people.

You could use your Radio Shack meter having checked it against a reference and corrected the reading as necessary ... No need for a mega-expensive meter when you have a much more accurate reference.

That sounds like an awesome suggestion, but I'm having trouble finding any for $14 as you mentioned. Can you provide a link?

Vesper

Enlightened
Search amazon for "Equus 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter". For around $20 it's a great value and meter. Lots of reviews to read too.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probe leads ! Here is the problem with the cheaper ones .. Nasty Leads with too much resistance ...

I got me a cheap one and the cheap leads were the problem not the MM .
I have a mega expensive MM to check against , and I was lucky enough to find a spare set of leads for the MM which I use on the cheap digital now ..

The problem ? = Too much resistance when reading current over 1A , the higher you went , the more resistance , and the further out the reading .

I just check the cheap digital against the mega $ MM now and again to make sure its still OK .

brh

Newly Enlightened
Going to add my vote for Flukes… Check around any pawn shops near you, with equipment like this they don't seem to have a very good grasp of value… The ones near me price pretty much any Fluke the same…*They tend to mostly get the lower end models, so it makes sense…*But I picked up a Fluke 187 for about 50 bucks… There are bargains to be had if you're willing to be patient!

Protip - same seems to go for soldering irons… You don't even want to know the price I paid for my digitally controlled Pace…

Definitely agree with the sentiment against cheap probes/leads though… Can make all the difference…

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Only three brands are 100% reliable (will not lie to you) ... Fluke, Fluke, and Fluke :crackup:

The 179 is my portable kit meter & stays in the truck at all times, while the 87V is my shop meter. EBay usually has the best prices on any Fluke that you want.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only three brands are 100% reliable (will not lie to you) ... Fluke, Fluke, and Fluke :crackup:

The 179 is my portable kit meter & stays in the truck at all times, while the 87V is my shop meter. EBay usually has the best prices on any Fluke that you want.

+1 Used Fluke from eBay. Some good deals to be had there if you're not in a rush.

Peter

Rexlion

Enlightened
Replaced my Radio Shack meter for a Fluke just after Christmas, and I'm happy with it. Go for it! The meter will probably outlast you.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Precision-Vol...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9c1a8591 ... I used Ebay Number 320446563729 and the title is "Precision Voltage Reference Source 5.000 Volt 0.02%".

I hope this link proves OK.
I have just checked my two DMMs against the reference source and am delighted with the results.

My Reference comes with the statement that the five volt reading is actually 5.0002 volts at 72F ... I switched it on and let it stabilise for a couple of minutes and then checked my meters.

The ultra-cheapie read exactly 5.00 volts on the 20 volt range which is perfect ... The £10 meter was not as good ... It read 4.97 volts so it is reading 30 millivolts low ... That is an error of -0.60% on the 20 volt range so I estimate that the meter will read between 4.17V and 4.18V when the true voltage is 4.20 volts ... So as long as I add 0.02V or 0.03V to the readings , even this meter will be very useable.

The snag with using any meter (however expensive) is that you still don't know how accurate it is ... Aging components or even faulty components in the DMM can cause errors in the accuracy ... This type of reference is probably the only way to check your meter and as such is essential to anyone requiring the ultimate in affordable accuracy.

This has got to be a best buy for any Li-Ion user at $14-55 including postage to the USA ... The postage to the UK is $5-60.