cant decide on a few flashlights for edc and automotive work

nasa779

Newly Enlightened
ok guys ive been in the scene for a short while and i want some opinions, i would like to get a decent edc, maybe a keychain or belt or pocket clip light, possibly a rather small size (like a romisen RC-F4) for in my toolbox as a "thrower", and an opinion on a flashlight with a wider spot, flood i think it is, all for around $100 i have a ton of cr123's and AA's and so far ive looked at the quark 123 from 4sevens for in the toolbox or an edc, and the itp A3 eos upgrade edition with the several modes. any input would be appreciated, i apologize initially for the "help me" thread

cfromc

Enlightened
I do a lot of auto/motorcycle repair and service on the side and I use a SF G2 with an LED drop-in as a beat-around light that I am confident will not fail - its been dropped on the ground a few times, got oil and trans fluid on it, been in the dirt and mud and never gave me a problem. I also began using a U2 that I got cheap on the CPF marketplace. But, my most used work light is a Streamlight headlight with a two-level LED. I don't know what model number it is but it takes 2 CR123s and is relatively bright on high. After using the headlight it feels like a big pain in the *** to use a regular hand-held light for most tasks. I also have a Maglight 2AA in each vehicle for emergency use. I've heard there have been some switch problems on the recent MM LEDs so that may be a concern, even though I haven't noticed.

The SureFire P60 style drop-ins come in all flavors from walls-of-light to supreme throwers and the Streamlight headlamp has a good compromise of flood with decent throw, although I don't really use the throw at all when working on a car. I paid about $20 for the headlamp and $60 for the G2 but the P60 drops-in have a very wide range of cost depending on the quality/brightness from $10 to over $100.

While re-reading your post I think these may not be exactly what you are looking for but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

You could always go for a Ra Light or early-Novatac as they are pretty small and offer several levels of light, they take CR123 primaries and rechargables, and they are extremely tough.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, I like to keep some beater lights around for working on messy stuff. Right now it's a Dorcy 3AAA light from Big Lots I got for $10. I also have a big rubber body 2D incan that sees the same type of use.

The thing about the Sunlite Slim though is it is awesome, and fairly well constructed, but at the same time they are not very expensive.

cfromc

Enlightened
That's the way I feel about the MM LEDs. I got a few of them for $10 each at Lowe's last year and I bought a lot of 3AA MM LEDs a long time ago for dirt cheap. I've given a couple away and have one left. The LEDs are actually a lot better than the old MM incans in terms of output and run-time. If one gets beat up, scratched and dirty I won't feel that bad for $10. The only thing I don't care for much is the adjustable beam. I "adjust" it to the same spot always so the adjustability doesn't mean anything to me. All my 2AA MMs are the multi-modes, which is OK having a high and a low. I have never used the flashing modes although I could see MAYBE using it if I were lost or on the side of the road somewhere just to alert other drivers or whatever.

flasherByNight

Enlightened
If you're considering the mini's and itp, the magnet mod would probably suit you well (which I'll probably be doing myself).

(ie glue a magnet to the bottom or BETTER get a small magnet that fits in the spring area). Just stick it on any magnetic surface....voila!

csa

Enlightened
I use surefires for beater lights. I have to replace them far less often than the cheaper lights, and the reliability is unparalleled. They're designed for tough work, use them for it. You won't be disappointed.

It feels bad at first to take an expensive light and put the first ding in it, but it's as much as tool as anything else in the toolbox.

nasa779

Newly Enlightened
well i ended up getting a Quark 123² Tactical, R5 Edition, and in the near future ill get a beater or 2 to play around with, most likely the itp eos

Greg G

Enlightened
For just *looking* at a car a flashlight is fine, but if you're *working* on one a headlight is a must. I use a Princeton Tec Apex for that. Awesome light and with 4AA's it runs a long time.

anonymoususer

Newly Enlightened
I do a lot of auto/motorcycle repair and service on the side and I use a SF G2 with an LED drop-in as a beat-around light that I am confident will not fail - its been dropped on the ground a few times, got oil and trans fluid on it, been in the dirt and mud and never gave me a problem. I also began using a U2 that I got cheap on the CPF marketplace. But, my most used work light is a Streamlight headlight with a two-level LED. I don't know what model number it is but it takes 2 CR123s and is relatively bright on high. After using the headlight it feels like a big pain in the *** to use a regular hand-held light for most tasks. I also have a Maglight 2AA in each vehicle for emergency use. I've heard there have been some switch problems on the recent MM LEDs so that may be a concern, even though I haven't noticed.

The SureFire P60 style drop-ins come in all flavors from walls-of-light to supreme throwers and the Streamlight headlamp has a good compromise of flood with decent throw, although I don't really use the throw at all when working on a car. I paid about $20 for the headlamp and $60 for the G2 but the P60 drops-in have a very wide range of cost depending on the quality/brightness from $10 to over $100.

While re-reading your post I think these may not be exactly what you are looking for but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

You could always go for a Ra Light or early-Novatac as they are pretty small and offer several levels of light, they take CR123 primaries and rechargables, and they are extremely tough.
What he said... just find yourself a cheap and used Surefire G2 LED... and maybe a UCL lens with diffuser. From my experience, i do not want a very bright light with close-up automotive use. The diffuser will disperse the light so it is not blinding in a relatively small spot and it will light up the entire wheel well.