Quark AA - Partial Electronics?

Ksailork

Newly Enlightened
UPS just delivered to me a Quark AA (older XR-E model). Upon firing it up, I have found the beacon mode to be defective. Five good flashes, the sixth flutters and there are no more after that.

I am deciding if it worth the resources to return it. I can think of no possible use for the beacon mode so I am okay with its malfunction. However, my understanding of electronics is rudimentary at best (complex numbers and all). Is the fact that the one mode is defective influence whether or not the other modes are soon to follow?

brett09

Newly Enlightened
UPS just delivered to me a Quark AA (older XR-E model). Upon firing it up, I have found the beacon mode to be defective. Five good flashes, the sixth flutters and there are no more after that.

I am deciding if it worth the resources to return it. I can think of no possible use for the beacon mode so I am okay with its malfunction. However, my understanding of electronics is rudimentary at best (complex numbers and all). Is the fact that the one mode is defective influence whether or not the other modes are soon to follow?

How long are you waiting after the six flash? On the Minis it will blink again about every 11 seconds after the first flashes, which is normal. I'm assuming the regular quarks would be the same?

LeifUK

Enlightened
If I remember correctly, it gives five short bright flashes, one longer bright flash, and then one flash every 10 seconds.

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
Agreed with brett09, I've seen this question probably a dozen times where someone just didn't wait long enough for the next flash. There are some quick flashes to let you know you're in beacon mode. After that, the flashes are 10+ seconds apart. This will probably seem like a long time to wait between flashes.

Ksailork

Newly Enlightened
Sorry about the typo - use both QWERTY and DVORAK keyboards throughout the day so sometimes I make weird mistakes. Don't always catch them either.

I just get the first five flashes, the stuttering sixth and no more. Waited two minutes.

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
I just get the first five flashes, the stuttering sixth and no more. Waited two minutes.

two minutes? That's strange. I'd just ask 4Sevens to swap the head. Their customer service will take care of this without much hassle. I don't know if this will be an indicator of potential future problems, but it might, so go ahead and take care of it so you don't have to worry.

Ksailork

Newly Enlightened
What really strikes me as strange is how that sixth flash or beacon comes on and then off. If it wasn't a LED I'd swear that it was a filament about to go. And since it never repeats, I swear that the filament went. Ironic analogy, I know.

No, I meant that I waited two minutes, it never repeated any more light.

Last edited:

Ksailork

Newly Enlightened
Won't be doing anything with it until Monday. But damn, I have already fallen in love with the low.