Led Upgrade

tattoosteve99

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a surefire 6p. I want to upgrade to an led. Can anyone please tell me where to get one that is around 120 to 180 lumens. I dont want to go to extreme {yet} until I get the hang of this mod stuff. Thanks in advance.

Dez

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a surefire 6p. I want to upgrade to an led. Can anyone please tell me where to get one that is around 120 to 180 lumens. I dont want to go to extreme {yet} until I get the hang of this mod stuff. Thanks in advance.

Look for P60 och D26 drop ins. A search came up with this:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/193992
You have many options.

I use the Lumens Factory D26 with 3 modes and is pretty happy with this.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
CHeck out the sticky in the LED section that details P60 drop ins.

At the moment the best bet would probably be the Malkoff M60L or M60LF.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tattoo,

There are plenty of P60 / D26 drop-ins for your P6.

Just make sure you get the correct voltage range. If you're using 2x C123s then you need a 3.7-8.4 [or thereabout] drop-in.

Other sources; Nailbender, Solarforce [Jake25], LightHound, GoingGear.

Lots of choices based on emitter type and tint, driver, and the $ you feel like spending. Enjoy.

KD5XB

Enlightened
With this hobby, more so than some others, you get what you pay for. If you go with something cheap from eBay, you might be happy, but if you're like me, you won't be happy for long. I suspect the Malkoff is your best bet, followed by actual Surefire drop ins.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Stay away from the cheap stuff on ebay. Odds are high that it will not be made very well.

Stay away from DX too. Personally I have had good luck with DX modules. I own several and have not had any problems with any of them. However the build quality stinks, and I have found that a little DIY rebuilding goes a long way. Poor soldering, questionable thermal adhesive application are the two most common defects I have run across.

Solarforce and Lumens factory make great drop ins for the $$$, best of all they can be bought from highly reputable sellers with good CS and warranty service (unlike DX).

Lighthound sells their own store brand for very reasonable prices. I think this might be your best option (preferable to DX or Ebay)... although I don't have any first hand experience with them.

A step up from that would be Malkoff, nailbender and the other CPF builders who have a well deserved reputation.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i strongly recommend stayin away from eBay, if your item is defective, there will be problems getting it fixed or replaced. kramer's suggestion of Lumens Factory and Solarforce are great recommendations.

However, if you do want a budget option, i have personally bought this one and its currently sitting in my G2. It's not a 3 mode as it states but is actually programmable you use the momentary on button, press twice and hold and the light will ramp up, blinks twice at 5% - 50% - 100% and its pretty darn bright too. Only thing is that with this drop in you cannot rapidly press the momentary on for a 'strobe' signalling effect. Oh, and i use this drop in with 3.6v RCR123s (rechargeables) with no problem.

The minimum is VERY low and the max is very respectable too.

There was another i bought but it doesnt seem to be there anymore.

tattoosteve99

Newly Enlightened
Wow! You guys know your stuff! Great thanks to all who help me. Ok 1 more time with 1 more question for now. (I hope) I read on the SF website that if I use an led upgrade that I also need to replace the bezel. Is this true? What can I do if I want to use the one I already have? Can I fix/mod it to accommodate it?

nzgunnie

Enlightened
You do not need to replace the bezel. All the available drop ins work just fine in the 6P. I'm not even sure why SF is saying this, unless it is in relation to the G2 Nitrolon head, which does not have such good thermal conduction qualities.

The 6P and the 6PL have exactly the same head, the Z44.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
You do not need to replace the bezel. All the available drop ins work just fine in the 6P. I'm not even sure why SF is saying this, unless it is in relation to the G2 Nitrolon head, which does not have such good thermal conduction qualities.

The 6P and the 6PL have exactly the same head, the Z44.

what he said, one more thing, depending on the input voltage of the drop in that you get, it may allow you to use rechargeable CR123s which in the long run is a huge savings.

Get a few pairs of good RCR123s, i recommend AW's, a charger and you're all set.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Another vote for the Malkoff M-series drop-ins. A little spendier than many (~$60), but if you buy the best to begin with (and spend time on these forums), you end up saving money in the long run. :thumbsup:

I would recommend doing a lot of reading on CPF re: LiIon rechargeables before jumping in to those, though.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would probably get a Malkoff, or maybe a Malkoff. A Malkoff drop in would also be a good choice.Also there is always the Malkoff..................;)