Photon Rex and the flickering light of doom...

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
Went to trigger Photon Rex today and the thing started doing a weak flickering.

Huh?

Weak light, kind of pulsing, but not like the 'flicker' settings. More like a 'sick fluorescent bulb' kind of flickering.

I couldn't turn it off.

Huh?

Held it, tried to trigger the momentary on feature with multiple presses, etc. No dice. Thing kept running away like a Toyota. (Said in jest)

Got it home and am now trying to charge it, but no dice again. I just noticed that one of the little magnets in the charger pulled out of the white plastic/rubber base. Also noticed that the old Alky mule I had been draining to charge the Rex is dead and leaking. I tried to put it back together, and am waiting for some NMiHs to charge so that I can try charging off of fresh batteries.

I'm wondering if the thing didn't get a full charge the last time I used it. I charge it at night, so perhaps the little rascal drained the battery before it charged fully. We'll see.

Question: is the flickering light that cannot be turned off a sign of an almost discharged Rex acting up, or is it perhaps a sign that the Mayan Destruction is nearly upon us?

Is there hope for this little guy, or should I send it back in? It has been an absolutely stalwart companion of mine for a couple of years now, and I am quite fond of it. That being said, I might start looking for an AAA-based light to replace it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend me.

carrot

Flashaholic
Could you have gotten the insides wet? Older Photons are known to flicker in interesting ways and refuse to turn off if the inside gets wet, although I've never heard of a malfunctioning Rex.

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
Could you have gotten the insides wet? Older Photons are known to flicker in interesting ways and refuse to turn off if the inside gets wet, although I've never heard of a malfunctioning Rex.

Good question, but no. Out of a clean, dry pocket, indoors. Was pulling it out to show a coworker, and got shamed.:shrug:

Don't think the coworker is likely to buy one.:laughing:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Never seen such behavior in my Rex. Did try charging with a worn out CR123 and it just blinked, but didn't stop like it does using a good battery. I'd definitely try with a fresh battery. If that doesn't work I'd contact LRI or PhotonLight if that's who you got it from. I'd almost bet they fix you up with a replacement.

It's a cool light light for sure. One any flashaholic should have for its high gadget factor alone.

Geoff

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
Seems fixed. I think it got very low in bat power and just fizzed out. Maybe an accidental activation in pocket or something. Put it on charge all last night. Still blinking this a.m., but the light is strong and all functions work.

Time will tell.

PhotonLight

Newly Enlightened
Glad to hear you seem to have gotten it working again for now. I can't say I've seen anything exactly like what you describe, but very low battery power can sometimes cause unusual behavior (the not responding to button presses stuff at least). If you continue to have trouble with it, that definitely sounds like it would be a warranty issue.