Cheap Jaycar flashlight vs LD20 comparison

ctn555

Newly Enlightened
For Aussies thinking of buying Jaycar tourches. I bought a few to test.

Not sure if this a good test or not but I am using a Eye One display 2 colorimeter with the diffuser to measure the luminance using HCFR. Measurements are taken at 1m.
All using Eneloops except for the 4D Maglite, using Duracell Alkalines.

Maglite 2AA

Normal 6 cd/m2
Spot - 60 cd/m2

Maglite LED 2AA Gen1

Normal - 133 cd/m2
Spot - 292 cd/m2

Maglite 4D

Normal 180 cd/m2
Spot 560 cd/m2

Cree X-Glow XLamp ALC-0811AA http://www.favourlight.com/1/?products/print/ALC-0811AA

Color temperature X 0.297 Y 0.307
330 cd/m2

Cree X-Glow XLamp ALC-0613AA http://www.favourlight.com/1/?products/print/ALC-0613AA

Color temperature X 0.313 Y 0.329
600 cd/m2

Fenix LD20 V2

Color temperature X 0.322 Y 0.333

Min 57 cd/m2
Med 264 cd/m2
High 527 cd/m2
Turbo 937 cd/m2
[SIZE=+1]
[/SIZE]

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The lux versus lumen discussion needs to be brought up in this case. The only thing the OP is measuring is spot intensity, not total lumen output. The LD20 is what I would consider a fairly tight thrower for a reflector this small. Doesn't surprise me that its Lux readings are that high.

Last edited:

ctn555

Newly Enlightened
The lux versus lumen discussion needs to be brought up in this case. The only thing the OP is measuring is spot intensity, not total lumen output. The LD20 is what I would consider a fairly tight thrower for a reflector this small. Doesn't surprise me that its Lux readings are that high.

That is true, I am only measuring the spot intensity.

Would removing the head/reflector proxy measuring lumens?

One interesting thing is, with the colorimeter I can measure the Color temperature of the led quite accurately.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The X-glow 3AA is a very, very floody light. There's virtually no hotspot to speak of. Good for walks in the dark, or for the glove box.

The 1AA is a piece of junk. Claims 80 lumens but otf is probably 30-40. I pulled the led out (chucked the body) and stuck it in a 2D light, very good now.

There is a 3D rated at 176 lumens which is actually a decent light, and has massive runtimes off just alkalines (100+ hours on low, 60ish lumens).

They all come with hosters and lanyards with the smaller lights also inclulding batteries for: $29 1AA, $34.95 3AA, $39.95 3D. I think they're a bit cheaper online, but those prices are in store.

And lastly, plastic lenses. Could be good or bad, depneds on how you treat them.

ctn555

Newly Enlightened
The 1AA and 3AA have a design flaw with some batteries. They don't have enough pressure on the battery contacts. The output was low, until I put some folded paper in the lens cap surrounding the led to put pressure on the led driver to push down on the batteries more when the lens cap is screwed down. It's much brighter when this is done.

JulianP

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I often go into jaycar and look at their flashlights. So far I have not felt the urge to buy any. They look overpriced and poorly made. For the money, I get much better flashlights online from DX. For serious flashlights, US sellers are hard to beat.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the money, I get much better flashlights online from DX.

I'm not familiar with Jaycar at all before I read this thread but if Deal Extreme flashlights are considered much better than those available at Jaycar - YIKES! :sick2: That says a LOT!

ctn555

Newly Enlightened
I'm not familiar with Jaycar at all before I read this thread but if Deal Extreme flashlights are considered much better than those available at Jaycar - YIKES! :sick2: That says a LOT!

Jaycar is an electronic outlet in Australia and New Zealand similar to RadioShack in the US.

Those 2 torches are pretty decent. Build quality is good and so is the run time.

ALC-0811AA, a site tested it to run for 4+ hours.

ALC-0613AA, manufacturer claims it runs for 25hours, 7hours of it at maximum brightness.

I'm very impressed with those 2 torches, considering it costs less than half the price of the LD20.

The white point of those 2 torches are on the ANSI line as well, although at different color temps.

Have a look here and refer to the x/y measurements:

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv250/wapkil/misc/ansiwhite.jpg

[over-size image replaced by link -DM51]

Last edited by a moderator: