Noob To Flashlight Question????

pippin732

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to buy a quality flashlight. I will mainly use it for fishing, and a lot of the time it will be used in saltwater. It needs to be rugged since it will be knocked around a lot. Something around 4 or 5 inches would be cool, and I have to be able to attach it to a lanyard. If they make holsters that are comfortable and that can withstand the saltwater I'm open to that as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dez

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to buy a quality flashlight. I will mainly use it for fishing, and a lot of the time it will be used in saltwater. It needs to be rugged since it will be knocked around a lot. Something around 4 or 5 inches would be cool, and I have to be able to attach it to a lanyard. If they make holsters that are comfortable and that can withstand the saltwater I'm open to that as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I used my Surefire G2 with a LED drop in for a few years on a boat in Thailand where the salinity in the sea is high and humidity very high. Everything else corroded, my Gerber multitool etc but not the G2.

You can attach lanyard, its cheap for a surefire and its light to carry.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like an application for a headlamp,
only the snares around Your eyes might be a bit annoying ...

tip: any of the "better" lights.
look for Olight at 4sevens, at Fenix product range, Jetbeam, ...
Zebralight as headlamp.
all of these give very good quality <-> price ratio, all are rugged, protected from elements, can be washed off in water, ...

be4 deciding, put some thought into Your BATTERIES!
When possible recharge (= when You are access to wall outlet and dont need primary cells solely), get only 18650 Li-Ion powered lights.
That is - atm - the most powerful, safe, cheapest, "best" battery for handheld application.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi pippin732 and :welcome:

I live in Singapore and do a fair amount of shoreline and occasionally boat fishing myself. The lights that i have brought out with me have survived pretty well.

The Fenix TK20 has survived drops into saltwater puddles and has a nice lanyard attachment point and also comes with a decent holster.

My Jet III Pro ST went diving (thankfully not too deep, maybe 4 ft) and is still fine, no corrosion. The other Jetbeams, Jet I, Jet II have been exposed to saltwater elements but not dropped or dunked and show no signs of corrosion.

The Surefire G2 has also survived well.

I think that the anodizing plays a part and maintenance as well, the lights i have referenced above (with the exception of the G2) are waterproof and i soak them for 15 minutes or so in fresh water when i get home.

For lanyards, the quark lanyard is great, i ordered 4 of them for my other lights. If you need references to sites and discount codes, please feel free to PM or post, i am sure everyone's willing to help out.

Tight lines man!