Need help getting a LS1 rev 2 apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

cman light

Newly Enlightened
I have a Ls1 rev2 that I have been trying to take apart for days, I'm trying to put a better LS in. I've tried strap wrenches, heat, and just about everything else any idea's?
The bezel just won't come off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

mahoney

Enlightened
This method has worked for me.
Take a small block of scrap wood and drill a hole in it the same diameter as the bezel of the ARC. Cut the block in half right through the hole so you now have two blocks with a half circle in each. Wrap the ARC bezel with some tape both to protect it and to increase friction. I've tried friction tape, gaffer tape, rubber tape, masking tape, etc., and they all worked fairly well. Gaffer tape (cloth tape like a good duct tape, but with a matte surface)and linerless rubber splicing tape (rubber electrical tape with no adhesive) worked the best, if you have access to either. Clamp only the ARC bezel tightly between the two blocks in a bench vise and use a heat gun on the rest of the head. Getting the heat right is tricky, I stop when the head is just barely too hot to hold for more than a second or so. Quickly wrap a strip of tape around the knurling on the head and put the strap wrench on and turn. I use a small strap wrench from McMaster-Carr with the strap doubled. I have opened a few this way and it usually takes at least several tries, and one took a lot of torque. If you are carefull, you can use this method and not damage the anodizing.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm good idea, gotta try this one day... I am in a cold location, my workspace is not temperature controlled, so the bezel cools off quite quickly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Twisting using bare hands is not a good idea.. blisters and painful hand is the result. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Maybe two small blocks of 'hole in middle' wood and two bench vise will be better? One set on the bezel, the other on the bezel body?

Power without knowledge is futile! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

mahoney

Enlightened
I thought about using the "two sets of wood blocks and two clamps idea" and I have actually used this method on an LS with a cross-threaded battery pack. But to get the head and bezel apart heat is needed to soften the loctite and the longer it takes to fumble with blocks, etc., the more likely the assembly is to cool. There's not enough room to have the head and bezel both clamped and still get the heat applied. Also the heat gun will tend to char the tape and blocks. Perhaps a long block with the hole and a lengthwise slit near one end and a clamp or bolt to squeeze the slit closed could be attached quickly enough and be used as a wrench on the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.