RofisLight        

Thread: who's repsonsible if a battery currodes inside torch?

Default who's repsonsible if a battery currodes inside torch?

i've had it happen a few times, i got 2 maglites with curroded batteries lodged inside them, but who is responsible for warrenty claim? the batteries are Duracell, would Duracell be responsible, or would Maglite be?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: who's repsonsible if a battery currodes inside torch?

If your in the USA just send it in to Maglight & they will take care of it for you. Outside the USA I don't know. Also, Duracell, Eenergizer & Rayovac have a policy to repair or replace the damage caused by their product.

Regardless of any [legal] precedent for either battery manufacturers, device manufacturers, or retailers being responsible for making good when batteries leak and corrode a device, and regardless of companies policy to do so regardless of [legal] obligation, IMHO, I believe it is a generally known fact that alkaline batteries tend to leak and corrode devices when left in the device for long periods of time with little or no use. And as such I believe it is the user's responsibility to prevent damage to their devices by not storing alkaline batteries in devices, and if they choose to, check them on a regular basis and replace them as necessary.

That said, I've had C-cell batteries corrode in a Maglite and I should know better!

Give Mag a call and see. For certain lights and batteries, they will take care of it for you. Here's a link to their FAQ which says the policy:

http://www.maglite.com/faq_details.asp?faqProd=2AA

BTW, this seems to be a duplicate thread...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=265463

not aduplicate thread, it's about a diffrent maglite, the little plate in the end of the 2aaa one broke off (were trhe + side of the battery connects).

I'd say it's the users responsibility. Of course, Duracell and Maglite offer some kind of warranty policy--but as said, it should be a known fact that batteries leak.

Flashaholic*

I'd go for user's responsibility, general maintenance should include checking the batteries to see how they're going, especially since, as Size15's said, it's general knowledge that alkalines can leak and corrode.
    Finning does help dissipate heat. This is why the fins are removed before cooking fish. Otherwise it will throw off the heat and not reach the proper cooking temperature. --Duglite

I've been thinking about this some more... For me, the first leaky alkaline battery experience was in a flashlight so if people are expected to know, but only gain this knowledge through experience we're into a chicken and egg situation.
    Perhaps children should be given a leaky battery device in school to educate them?

Quote Originally Posted by Size15's View Post
    I've been thinking about this some more... For me, the first leaky alkaline battery experience was in a flashlight so if people are expected to know, but only gain this knowledge through experience we're into a chicken and egg situation.
    Perhaps children should be given a leaky battery device in school to educate them?
    Calculators, flashlights, alarm clocks, toys... yes

Flashaholic*

Uhhh... who's responsible? YOU are

You should have removed those alkalines when the light was not in use.

It's not a matter IF those things are going to leak, the only question is WHEN it will happen. No matter what brand you use, they WILL leak!!

You'd better invest in some good LSD NiMH cells instead!

Timmo.

I just replaced a leaking Durcell AA in one of my household clocks. It didn't do any damage, it was new when I put it in, the clock was still running, I only noticed it to adjust it for daylight savings. I don't know what I could have done differently to prevent leakage.
    Light is sweet and pleasing to the eyes....

Who's responsible? You are. If your not gona take care of your lights and batteries then they will not gona take care you as well. Taking care of everything is very important to prevent future damage.

Quote Originally Posted by roguekiller23231 View Post
    i've had it happen a few times, i got 2 maglites with curroded batteries lodged inside them, but who is responsible for warrenty claim? the batteries are Duracell, would Duracell be responsible, or would Maglite be?
    When this happened to me a while back what I done was removed the tail cap, and beat the light over the workbench (tail down) until the batteries worked their way down enough until i could grab a hold on them with a pair of channel lock pliers. It did however take several tries and some force to get them to come out. If this is not successful for you, you might want to try to loosen the internal locking screw in the mag switch and push downward on it forcefully with a large blade screwdriver, i wouldn't hammer on it, just use pushing force. If you do manage to get them out as i did, you will need to neutralize the acid with something such as baking soda and water and then sand inside the tube with some fine grit sandpaper to remove any left over acid build up.

Best of luck, hope this works for you!

they been stuck in there for about 7 years now. lol, i think there actually part of the torch now. i'll probabyl send it along with the others to Maglite and see if they do anything, if not they'll just return them. i wasnt too old when it happend, and didnt know what to do, actually slammed the torch on a hard surface to dislodge them but they never went anywere, just made big dents in the wood. lol

all have been sitting in my desk draw untill i remembered them a few days ago. really like the 2aaa ones, but they always seem to break on me, and there the only ones i've had battrys leak in.

7 years? And you're wondering who is responsible?

just wondering for future purchases and my current maglites, got a few of them, always worried that it'll happen to one of them.

I think since maglite and duracell are partners, that they will replace your lights for you.

Expecting alkalines to not leak when being left in a device for 7 years is a little bit funny though

Most people I know who have had batteries leak in a Mag and couldn't get them out to clean the light have saved any pieces usable on another light and trashed the rest.

Chances are even if they will fix or replace the light, you will still be responsible for the shipping costs to them. Depending on the particular model, its probably not worth the hassle and just buy a new one...or use the opportunity to upgrade to a better light!
    You Can't Fix STUPID!

i didnt leave them in there for 7 years, it happend about 7 years abo, just remembered the torch a few days abo when i came on this forum, it's been sitting in the draw with the battery lodged inside for 7 years now, it happend a few weeks after i bought the torch.

what i find is more annoying than leaking batts is ppl that always try to find someone responsible for their own actions, or lack of thereof

Quote Originally Posted by alpg88 View Post
    what i find is more annoying than leaking batts is ppl that always try to find someone responsible for their own actions, or lack of thereof
    Blaming the victim is also annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by roguekiller23231 View Post
    i didnt leave them in there for 7 years, it happend about 7 years abo, just remembered the torch a few days abo when i came on this forum, it's been sitting in the draw with the battery lodged inside for 7 years now, it happend a few weeks after i bought the torch.
    I agree with you. Alkalines are just a poor technology no matter how careful the end user is. I've seen alkalines leaking NIP at the store. It's probably best just to avoid using this battery type.
    Last edited by leukos; 03-15-2010 at 08:00 AM.
    Light is sweet and pleasing to the eyes....

Flashaholic*

Just an aside but the link in post #4 to Maglite triggered a warning from AVG for an infected link/file. If you clicked on that link it is probably time to update and run your AV software.

I'd contact both Maglite and the manufacturer of the batteries independently and see what each one says. While the original damage was not your fault delaying doing anything about it was not a good move.

Some battery companies will replace a light with one of "like value" if ("big if") they determine it might have been their fault. Whether you get one to your liking is another matter.

Mag tends to pride themselves on their warranty (or at least used to) but this did happen a long, long time ago. There are reasonable expectations on what they should be expected to do.

Having said all that it cannot hurt to try. Make a polite inquiry or two.
    "Show them a light, and they'll follow it anywhere..."

Quote Originally Posted by chmsam View Post
    Just an aside but the link in post #4 to Maglite triggered a warning from AVG for an infected link/file. If you clicked on that link it is probably time to update and run your AV software.
    think it's a false positive, but i have had viruses from legit sites.