En"light"en Me!

Adeon

Newly Enlightened
Okay!

been EDCing flashlights for long time (SF E2E, then upgrade to my current ones: 1 X 6PDL + 1 U2), but mainly spent most of my time specializing on knives.

Recently I wanna get myself a 1 X CR123 cell flashlight to attach to my keychains. By reading some threads, I find myself quite lost with all the specs

so, I see the need to learn a lot more. I start off by saying I get the basic stuff like lumens, runtime, aircraft aluminium stuff, but when it comes to mA, various LEDs, reflectors, voltages and tints, I'm totally lost.

Asking all you experts to give me a crash course on intermediate/advance flashlight stuff.

Thanks. Much appreciated

Adeon

Newly Enlightened
thanks!

forgot to mention the lights that caught my eye: bitZ ti & nitecore ex 10

looking for: 2 types, 1 high end one, most likely ti, another cheaper EDC kind.
focuses: robust, little maintenance, part break down free, lumen, greater water resistance will be a plus. any suggestions?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks!

focuses: robust, little maintenance, part break down free, lumen, greater water resistance will be a plus. any suggestions?

I own the Nitecore EX10 (ramping) as well as a Quark MiNi 123 (neutral white), i like both lights as they're very pocketable. Here's my thoughts on the lights.

EX10 has a nice deep carry pocket clip, the ramping version allows instant access to max and min and the ability to choose any light level in between but it doesnt memorise that level if you go to either max or min, you will have to reset the light. That isnt a huge worry as for me, i usually start on min or max depending on circumstances.

The EX10 is also one tough light, have abused mine severely with the only damage being to the lens (which was replaced by Nitecore), the EX10 is waterproof, drop proof (of course not at too extreme a height) and generally a very tough light, i carry it clipped to my pants pocket and its very discreet yet very handily available.

The MiNi 123 is smaller than the EX10 and is a twisty instead of a 'clicky' though the EX10's piston drive cannot classify as a 'clicky' as there arent any springs to wear out etc. 3 modes low-med-high and hidden strobe modes should you want it. The MiNi rides on my keys as a back up as it doesnt have a clip.

If it were a toss up between my EX10 and my MiNi123 i'd go for my EX10 as its easier to operate one handed and the slightly longer length makes it comfortable to hold.

Havent tested the durability of the MiNi123 yet as i dont think there are any more neutral whites around and i am not going to risk mine doing a torture test :D

You havent given us a budget to work with but if you want to go higher end, why not consider a Ra light? There are sometimes a couple of them on sale on the marketplace. Another consideration would be a Muyshondt Aeon, great lights but i can't bring myself to spend that much when i already have lights that i like and use.

polkiuj

Enlightened
thanks!

high end one: Take your pick. McGizmo, Photonfanatic, bitZ is nice too.

another cheaper EDC kind.
Ra Twistie - It's tough.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Adeon, with a user name like that you need to find yourself a Ti Aeon!

You'll like both the Bitz and the EX10 I'm sure, but try to get ahold of a Quark MiNi CR123 as well.

joe1512

Enlightened
Voice of Reason here. If you want a small keychain light, the itp A1 EOS Stainless Steel can be gotten for 32 bucks! Uses CR123 OR RCR123 or 16340 for maximum versatility. 2.3 inches long, 0.8 inch diameter. Twisty so it won't come on in your pocket. 2 lumen, 30 lumen, 200 lumen mode (with CR123.. more with the other batteries). No assault bezel to cut up your pocket. No unneeded strobe or 50 brightness levels.

And it won't break the bank. If budget is less of an issue, then the above suggestions are great. But the itp will give you 90% of the performance for 30% of the price approximately.

Adeon

Newly Enlightened
thank you everyone!
i'll check out the Aeon:nana:

Im also thinking of trying a few others such as EZ123, fenix PD10 in the future to get the one light that suits me best

keep the recommendations coming!