Energizer 3AA/AAA headlamp

dafeichu

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up this Energizer headlamp. You can use either 3AA or 3AAA with it as it comes with seperate AA and AAA battery packs that are installed on the back. I was going to pickup the Energizer Hard Case at Home Depot but this one was sitting beside and it came with 3 AA and 3 AAA Energizer lithium so purchased it instead.

I will be using it mainly for my job but haven't had a chance to use except for my dining room and living room. From the looks of it, it uses a smooth reflector and a dual convex lens. It doesn't have a diffuser but I believe it doesn't need one. I'll see once I've actually used it. At one meter the spot/spill is approx. 1.5m/60" wide with an insignificant ring that is quite faint. In fact the entire spot/spill is pretty much solid and the outside transition is sudden. In other words, objects on the edge of the spot/spill either have light or don't have any. For walking/running it would work quite well. Bicycle riding it might do the job as well. It has pretty decent throw. For up close work it looks it will do very well especially since there are 3 modes of brightness. The head does tilt down which exposes four screws to access the back of the head. Taking off the back panel does show that there is a gasket but for modding purposes of the led/electronics might pose a problem with the people less inclined to do such a thing.

They claim 11 hour run time on high/100lm using 3AA lithiums which I would say is fairly accurate regarding the brightness. There is a bust mode of 130lm.

Cons: 1) The burst mode is activated (in any mode including off) by pressing a secondary side switch and must be held to keep it on so the trick is to not block the O/P with your hand. The burst can only last for 15 seconds.

2) There are 5 modes in total. High/Med/Low/strobe/2 red leds. In order to switch between the modes when the light is on you have to shut it off then turn it on to the desired mode. If you are in a mode for about 3 seconds or more then the light will switch off when you try to switch modes. There is no soft switch to change modes. Hope that makes sense :thinking:

The casing seems to be aluminum so heat doesn't seem like it will be an issue. There is an o-ring in the front lens and a gasket in the rear battery compartments so it might be able to stand up in the rain quite well which is important for my job. There is another green led on the battery compartment that flashes very lightly every 3 seconds whether the light is on or not making finding a bit easier. This light will get used quite a bit in the future so I'm hoping it's what I'm looking for and so far it does seem to fit the bill.

ELHD2A3ALenergizerheadlamp.png

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a bust mode of 130lm.

Speaking of headlights...:whistle:

I'm kidding.:laughing::sssh: Cool mini-review, very informative and I always wondered about this light whenever I saw it at Target (store similar to Walmart). Do you know if it can be run off of alkalines?

dafeichu

Newly Enlightened
Speaking of headlights...:whistle:

I'm kidding.:laughing::sssh: Cool mini-review, very informative and I always wondered about this light whenever I saw it at Target (store similar to Walmart). Do you know if it can be run off of alkalines?

I forgot to mention that this headlamp has incredible support and fit :grin2:

I tried it out with some Duracell alks and it does work.

The 8th Man

Newly Enlightened
I got one of these a while ago, I would like to add my thoughts to your mini review,

The light is well built, it seems to be able to hold up to some abuse although I really only use it outside for light night time navigation around the yard and in the garage.

The beam is a little disappointing, The packing says spot the wide adjustment but it really is just a spot to wide spot. It's not even really a spot as much as a moon shaped beam which seems to get larger and smaller. The boost feature is cool but hard to use.

I don't mean to knock the light, it's OK , I was just a little disappointed by the performance. I have kept it because it is cool but it's not the first headlight I grab when I need to go outside. The beam really does limit where and how you can use it.

cornflake

Newly Enlightened
Just got this light from Target. For $40, it's not a very good value.

Here are my thought of this light.

Pro

- True flood type headlamp. The light pattern have no hot spot
- Fairly bright for distant up to 4 feet. Perfect for seeing item at close range

Con

- High Price
- Adjustable focus really only reduce the size of the flood area, and increase the brightness at the patter boarder. Which is kindly useless.
- Boost mode require user to keep their finger on the button, which makes it useless for most situation.

At this point, it's still a toss up if it's going back to the store. I think I could probably do better for $40 headlamp.

Just a side note, those Lith AA batteris are crazy expensive!! $10 for a pack of four. I am surprise they are able to see any at all!!

dafeichu

Newly Enlightened
Just an update of real world use. I had to use this last Friday and Saturday nights. I'm using this for my job which is a signal and communications maintainer for a large railway in Canada.

The first night I had to walk a mile down the tracks and without any flashlight it would be completely dark out except for some stars so basically there was not any external light pollution. To describe the beam pattern to someone who hasn't seen it, cut a circle out of a piece of white paper and lay it on a piece of black paper. There's basically no rings and no hotspot. It's a bit distracting to have the light just suddenly stop on the outside of the spill but fortunately the spill is quite large so it's not much of an issue.

The spill to spot focuser is a joke. All it does is make the spill small and distorted with rings and no noticeable throw increase but that is why I carry another flashlight with me for throw so that is not an issue for me.

Walking two miles total on slag (uneven ground) was quite easy as I could easily see everything up to about 30 feet. I was very impressed with the amount of light coming out. This is by far my best headlamp setup so far. I'm comparing that to a Quark MiNi 123 with prism, a Ultrafire UF-H3 and a Streamlight Haz-lo (which has recently been modified).

The boost mode is another useless function that is a pain to use and only increases the visible output by a small amount.

I wear this on my hardhat and I don't think it was designed for that configuration. I removed the top strap and had to extend the main strap to its largest diameter. Once at its largest diameter the battery pack is not dead centre at the back but towards the left side a bit as the cable from battery pack to led is not long enough. It does help to have the batteries on the back to improve balance but after walking a mile, climbing up a signal mast to change a bulb and then walking a mile back the light decided to fall off just as I was coming up to my work van. It didn't suffer any damage at all. The one benefit of the Haz-Lo light is it comes with both an elastic head lamp and a rubber hardhat strap.

The second night out I only had to walk about 50 feet from my van but I had to adjust two switches so the more light the merrier. Both hands are needed so having a headlamp is a must and having one O/P lots of floody light is the best for me. Again I was very happy with the amount of light and the wide flood with no hotspot worked just fine. I didn't need to pull out another light to inspect contacts or motor brushes. The light didn't fall off my hardhat the second night even though I was bent over quite a bit but it was pushing up on my hardhat and it was probably only a matter of time for it to fall off.

They could have made this light cheaper by not having the boost feature and not having the spill to spot adjust. I can't imagine anyone liking those two features at all. Besides that, I'm really liking this headlamp for it's decent throw and flood. I still might get the Energizer Hard Case to see if I'll like that any better. The one area where I'm still curious to test it is in a downpour. It does have gaskets in all the important places but the two areas where the cable comes out of the battery pack and into the light might be the weak spot for water. I'll just have to see when I'm out dancing in the rain. It's seem like it's a bit expensive for the type of light it is but the addition of three AA and AAA lithiums definitely adds to the price. Overall I'm quite pleased with the performance.

Last edited:

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still might get the Energizer Hard Case to see if I'll like that any better.

Thanks for the in-depth real world review!

The Hardcase headlamp is available for $19.99 shipped (to US Addresses)
from Buy.com right now. I don't think you can get a nicer headlamp anywhere for $20.

Peter