Duty light for Law Enforcement Park Ranger??

wmflyfisher

Newly Enlightened
First of all hello! Noobie here from GA and I'm looking for a duty light with good throw at a good size for my duty belt. I've been reading now for like 3 days straight!! I wanted to start this post because I'm looking for something slightly different than the standard LE duty light. I'm a Georgia State Park Ranger so I spend a lot of time in the woods.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Fenix TK11 or one of the Eagletac's. I know both will be great. Also looking to use rechargeables and really want advice for a good snug holster. Plastic or fabric will do but I want something that the light will slide down in. I'm really not crazy about pouches or anything with a flap that closes.

Should either of the lights mentioned above be good for the woods?? We typically don't do traffic stops so that isn't a big concern. If not, what should I be looking at?? Budget is less than $100 and I want something around the same size as the TK11. Any help would be great. This will be my first super light!

ToNIX

Enlightened
You're in the same boat as me!

- Fenix TK11 R5 (coming out in 2 weeks)
- Eagletac T20C2 MarkII R5 (just came out)
- Jetbeam Jet-III M R2 (I'm still hoping for a new R5 version soon).

I guess that all these 3 choices are good. I'll probably end up getting those 3 lights to compare haha.

They all run on 18650 rechargeable batteries.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Solarforce L2P is $19, and the L2 is $15 at lighthound. Pair either with the drop in of your choice and you are in business.

I use an M60 with an 18650 to extend run times in a bored 6P... great all around setup IMHO.

Malkoff MD2+M60, Great belt-cary EDC.

Other honorable mentions
Surefire E2DL
Eagletac T100C2... my fave budget "tactical" light

I recently had an Xtar TZ-20 tested at 225 Legit OTF, from an 18650. Another great budget light, moderate throw that runs great off primaries, RCR123, and 18650

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

The Fenix is a good choice for a duty light. Are you planning for 123 rechargeables or 18650s?

The Four-Sevens Quark Tactical might be another light to consider. I'm sure you'll get pros & cons as to its suitability from the Forumites.....

You've already mentioned Eagle Tac.

Also, the Malkoff MD-2 w/ a M-60 drop-in is in-budget and about as rugged as them come.

Good luck and enjoy the forums.

ecallahan

Enlightened
My vote would be for a Malkoff MD2 with M60W or the low version of this same drop-in for longer runtime, depending on your needs. You have the option of 18650, 2 x rcr123, or 2 x 123. You will appreciate the warm version outdoors. Alternately, you could use the same drop-in, in a Surefire 6P host. Many standard holster options exist for the Surefire, and I'm sure the same will fit the MD2.

I would also recommend the high/low ring for the MD2, which makes this light so much more versatile.

wmflyfisher

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot for the help guys. Man there are sooo many choices. I think I'm going to stick with a "pre-made" unit. I might worry about building one later down the road. Keep the suggestions coming if you have anymore. Oh and what about holsters that fit the ones mentioned above??

pwatcher

Enlightened
My vote would be for a Malkoff MD2 with M60W or the low version of this same drop-in for longer runtime, depending on your needs. You have the option of 18650, 2 x rcr123, or 2 x 123. You will appreciate the warm version outdoors. Alternately, you could use the same drop-in, in a Surefire 6P host. Many standard holster options exist for the Surefire, and I'm sure the same will fit the MD2.

I would also recommend the high/low ring for the MD2, which makes this light so much more versatile.
+1 !

I would think neutral or warm tint would be especially useful for your purpose.

Only problem is availability - you could check with some of Malkoff's distributors, or place a WTB over on CPF Marketplace though.

pounder

Newly Enlightened
Solarforce L2P is $19, and the L2 is $15 at lighthound. Pair either with the drop in of your choice and you are in business.

I use an M60 with an 18650 to extend run times in a bored 6P... great all around setup IMHO.

Malkoff MD2+M60, Great belt-cary EDC.

Other honorable mentions
Surefire E2DL
Eagletac T100C2... my fave budget "tactical" light

I recently had an Xtar TZ-20 tested at 225 Legit OTF, from an 18650. Another great budget light, moderate throw that runs great off primaries, RCR123, and 18650

I also use an L2 with an R2 drop-in so I can vouch for it..I work as a campus security officer and it has no problem lighting up what needs to be lit..for a belt carry light it's awesome for the size..all my co-workers want one..

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own a Malkoff (yet). It's only a matter of time:thumbsup:
Have you considered the O-light M-30? it seems to offer alot from instant on strobe (bears , drunks etc?) and plenty of throw with multiple settings.

Dole

Newly Enlightened
Just had the chance to compare my Eagletac T20C2 Mark II to my friend's Fenix TK11. They seem to have the same amount of throw but the Eagletac lights up a much larger area. And now that the Eagetac is fully regulated on 18650's ... I would have to recommend it :thumbsup:

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two other lights that you may want to consider are the Fenix TK20, a specially designed outdoor/woodsmans light with a warm tint and that runs on AA batteries if you don't want to get into maintaining lithiums.

Or the Eagletac T100C2 in NW, the new or old version, in my mind for outdoors neutral white is a must, and this light offers a very good runtime efficiency, and the brightness is only minimally lower than the T20C2 with its equivalent NW emitter. It's also a good $15 cheaper I think. :thumbsup:

ToNIX

Enlightened
Just had the chance to compare my Eagletac T20C2 Mark II to my friend's Fenix TK11. They seem to have the same amount of throw but the Eagletac lights up a much larger area. And now that the Eagetac is fully regulated on 18650's ... I would have to recommend it :thumbsup:

I'm still waiting for the new R5 TK11, and hopefully we'll get a direct comparison between these 2 lights :D

wingnut86

Banned
Sounds like you want the EagleTac T100C2 MKII Neutral White.

From EagleTacUsa you can get the light for $47, and two 18650's + charger for $39....It Will run on CR123A's as well.

For an extra $6 you can get the Kit that comes with a velcro closure holster, and a paracord lanyard.

As for a stretch fit holster, by reading the dimensions of the light, one designed for the Surefire 6P or G2 would probably be a close fit. I'm not for sure though.

Or you could do a Surefire G2 for $40 and a Malkoff M60WL dropin ($60 if available) for a simple, durable, reliable light fully made in the USA for $100 total.

Last edited:

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
check out Night Patrol or First Responder from PEAK LED solutions on the RMSK website. Built like a tank.

DSCN3307.jpg

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
or another jetbeam, the raptor rrt-2 in the warm 5a tint emitter.

or like already suggested the tk20 if you are going with aa rechargeables.

most important though is to try to get a neutral emitter if possible for the woods.

wmflyfisher

Newly Enlightened
WOW! The options are endless!! To answer a few questions... I would like to use rechargeables and keep it around the size of the TK11. Any ideas on a good slide in duty holster that will fit the TK11 or one of the Eagletac's? Again, I'm not looking for one that has a flap. Something that will be easy to just grab and pull out. Thanks again guys.

csa

Enlightened
Lotta good suggestions here. Now I'm feeling itchy to pick up something new in the same range.

Xcel

Newly Enlightened

I'm still waiting for the new R5 TK11, and hopefully we'll get a direct comparison between these 2 lights :D

+1. I'm in the same boat and the above two look like good contenters.

wmflyfisher

Newly Enlightened
Ran across the Olight M21 a little while ago. Seems like a beast and just a tad larger. Thoughts??