Cold weather/Car recommendation

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the cold weather in Wyoming is here to stay. Even snowed sideways today
grin.gif

So, what light(s) would you guys recommend for carrying in the car? Here are some considerations:
1. Size - I'd like to carry it in either the glove box or small, under the seat compartment.
2. Rechareable? Would NiMH's be alright in the cold weather or should I stick with alkalines? What about NiCd (since I have an old Coleman Charger NiCd that is a likely candidate for this).
3. I realize there probably isn't one perfect light for this situation so, pick your top 3
tongue.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I think for cold weather like your having (below 0 right?) rechargeables are the worst. Lithiums work best under extreme cold temps, and they hold their charge for up to 10 years.

A lithium light would be a great glove box light where you forget about it and it works 5 years from now.

Alkalines might leak and corrode if left in the flashlight for long periods.

Rechargeables lose their charge regardless of temperature quickly (within weeks or months).

I keep a combination of the following:
1. A B90 charger mounted in my glove box.
2. A G2 mounted in the glove box with a NiteIze holder
3. Spares carrier with P60 + 6 batteries for the G2 in the Glove box.
4. M6 mounted in the cargo hold of my truck
5. 9AN mounted in the cargo hold of my truck
6. My "emergency" bag has a 3 million cp vector spotlight along with the Energizer Hard Case Lantern.

I figure it's overkill but that's what makes us flashaholics right?

Ratso

Enlightened
-SL-20X on charge

-UKE 2L or Scorpion under the seat or in the glove box

-I might throw in a $2 Cheapie lantern with Alkaline Lantern Battery (very long burn time!)

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
M6 is a prepared dude! Whatever you choose, everyone will recommend lithium lights for a car light due to storage and temperature performance superiority. Myself, I can go months without the need for a car light but I still want to be prepared. I have a Legend LX for an incandescent. Bright but kind of bulky and ugly (compared to E2) for household use but perfect to throw in the glove box. For an LED, I have an Inova X5 thrown in there as well. Of course the Arc AAA is always on the keychain. Between the three lights, I figure I could make it thru a whole night, a situation of which I don't ever wish to experience.

Imagine if M6 came across someone with a flat that needed assistance and he hauled out the 3 million CP spotlight!

Saaby

Flashaholic
Somone back me up--NiMh cells LOVE cold weather~~or was it hot?

That said: Dorcy Cool blue with 4 Lithiums in it. Sure it has a tightly focused beam but it's a great car stash light!

You should have an Arc AAA and various other lights on your person anyway so if an emergency should arise the car light should just be backup...or was this just an excuse for you to get a new rechargable light?

K

K3LAW

Inova x-5 Small, puts out good light, Cheap and runs on lithiums batteries for the cold weather.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Good point about LEDs. I should stick an Inova X5t in the Glove box as well for reliability.

"Imagine if M6 came across someone with a flat that needed assistance and he hauled out the 3 million CP spotlight!"

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
The Vector 3 mil I got at Target is bright.

bmsmith

Enlightened
I have a photon II white and X5T in my car. I had the photon first so I just left it when I added the X5T.

I like the X5T because:
1. no bulb to break its filament
2. uses lithiums (for the reasons already stated)
3. reasonably bright (it's no spotlight, though)
4. decent runtime (up to 20 hours)

- Brian

Harri

Newly Enlightened
I currently have Mag 3D in my car.
What I'd like to have there is a good LED light with lithiums. If you want incandescent lights, then how about Scorpion or cheaper UKE 2L? Scorpion has spare bulb, so it's fairly good for backup (I do take Scorpion with me onto longer strips also, but it doesn't stay in the car). But I'd really like LED as I would not have to worry about the bulb. Also, if I need a flashlight in car, it has never been a spotlight that I need, but floodlight. So LED's would be fine, i.e. something like X5T could be fine - if one doesn't have the money to buy KL1+E2e to car
smile.gif

Why lithiums? Well, as stated you would not have to worry about them loosing power. Alkalines will loose power as well as chargeables. NiMH's and specially NiCd's are very good in cold conditions - but not stored there! They will loose charge completely in a few weeks even if not used (NiCd's faster). And I guess in cold that will happen even faster.

Harri

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck, if all you need is a small emergency light, either a CMG Infinity or Infinity Ultra (1 AA) would be good. CMG Reactor or InReTech LS Minimag module and Lithium AAs.

One point to think about for cold weather operation: you need to be able to operate the light with gloves or mittens on.

If you need to change a tire, or otherwise need both hands free, a PT Matrix with 2 Lithium AAs is a good choice. If you already have a Solo, Quest, or Tec 20, the Matrix Module is a good investment, as it takes advantage of Lithiums AAs.

Even a Brinkmann Rebel ($15 at Walmart) with Lithium AAs is good.

Al

Enlightened
Old reliable TEC40 ... excellent output, configurable to a variety of battery / bulb combinations, large enough for gloved hands, small enough to easily fit in glove compartment, inexpensive (buy two).

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
If an LED is wanted, the new Reactor ($20+), or any of the AA Minimag LS conversions ($20-35) would work fine and not cost as much as a KL-1. They all take AA batteries so feeding them would not be a problem.

Question: Would the fact that all the Minimag LS conversions generate heat, tend to cancel out the low temperature problem with Alkaline batteries? Once you got it turned on and warming up, wouldn't the batteries come back to life?

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Well, I carry:

1. A mini-mag w/ newbeam conversion and alkalines, I'd switch to lithium, but even in Albany, the alkalines seem fine in the cold. I use rayovac, and switch out before they expire.

2. A streamlight 4AA LED, yellow w/ reflective tape too, so I don't loose it. (Don't run this one w/ lithiums! See other post.)

3. A 12" flourescent work light w/ cigarette cord. Nice and bright, but would work lousy in the cold, probably. Generic/china, probably about $10 at wallmart.

4. A 50W work light w/ magnet base and cigarette plug. Very nice for working on stuff, has faceted (sp?) bulb for even, wide light. Also generic from wallmart, about $15.

5. Not sure if this counts, but an amber Whelan xenon strobe, like a dashmaster but cast aluminum, mounted to the rear deck. This is usefull for ham radio stuff.

I carry work lights rather than spot lights, because my experience is that I'm always needing light close up, rather than far away. Spotlights are lousy for trying to change a tire, or work on a radio!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of concern about cold weather, but what about hot weather? Where I am, and I'm moving another 8 hour drive further south next summer, you can get in the car and it may take you several seconds to realize that the yummy frying smell is coming from where your butt is resting on the seat.

Do lithiums handle that OK, would I expect alkalines to leak under those circumstances?

Thanks,
James

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about using a NiCd light that I kept plugged into the cigarette lighter so whenever I drove the car, it charged the light?

I've got a large Ray-O-Vac workhorse lantern that sounds like it might be moved into the car. Especially after I apply some Contact Clear to it.

I wish I had a Stinger/UltraStinger or something similar I could keep charging as well.

I do EDC an Infinity on my keychain as well as my newly purchased Arc attached to my Palm Pilot case (also have a G2 in there) so it sounds like I might not be as bad off as I originally thought. Although, I'm no where near M6.
smile.gif

hokiefritz

Newly Enlightened
The TigerLight without the pepper spray canister sounds like it would be a sweet rechargeable for your car, as it has a 12V car charger included when you buy the system and is about the size of a 2D flashlight. Kinda expensive though.

For a very small light the Streamlight Scorpion would be nice, especially if you're only going to use it infrequently. Otherwise, the bulbs and batteries don't last very long for everyday use.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Scorpion in the glove box and a 5D Mag under the seat (and it's not there for light output
smile.gif
).

Size15's

Flashaholic
All carkeys have a PhotonII white and Glowring on them.

Both gloveboxes have a G2-YL in them. (will also have an SC1 with six SF123As & a P60 when I get round to it).

I'm considering a hardmounted rechargeable for each of the cars. I'm tempted by the "3 Million CP" for the boot (trunk).

Al

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
So much depends on what you want to spend; initially and if you intend to use the car light ever for more than just emergencies.

For cold weather... you'll definitely want Lithium (either AA, 123a or coin cells like the Photon).

Multiple lights...sure!

On your keychain...either an ARC AAA or Photon.
(any bulb based lights you might carry WILL burn out or break if dropped)

Second light:

Low cost: Maglite AA (nice spare bulb) <---low cost if used a lot
Med cost: Brinkmann LX <---expensive batteries if used a lot
More $$$: Surefire, etc.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I've been looking at that light for a while now. Just can't seem to get one though since I already have an UK 2L and I hear they're practically identical in output (yes, I know the Scorpion is adjustable). I think I've convinced myself though to save my pennies for an e2e or e2 then save some more for a KL1.