U2 Problem, please help.

Englander

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I am having a problem with a Surefire U2 I bought a couple of years ago. Ive been travelling for a well over a year and left it behind. On returning, I dug it out. Used it for a couple months, then suddenly it doesn't seem to want to go to full power.

When I turn the selector ring to go to higher levels it goes up in brightness for 2 or 3 settings then it does DOWN in brightness when I try to turn it up further. Its never behaved like this before. I thought it was the batteries, so I swapped them out for a new set. Still the same problem.

The batteries I am using are Battery Station batteries and are a couple of years old as well, so I am wondering whether all the batteries are just old? But then they are supposed to last like 10 years aren't they? Plus when the batteries got low before, the higher settings on the light output would flicker/flash very fast to show there wasn't enough power to use it on that setting.

I am from the UK and with the torch being a couple of years old I am not sure how to go about getting it repaired or if I can? To me this torch cost a small fortune and I am quite upset that its not working now, especially since I have an outdoor qualification involving night navigation coming up in a couple of weeks I was really relying on using the U2 for. I bought the U2 from Batterystation.com as well, when I bought the batteries, probably a little over 2 years ago.

Thankyou in advance for any advice any of you can give me.

Sincerely

Englander.

Edit: It may of been about 3 years old or a bit more actually, Its been so long, it wasn't too long after the U2 came out that I got it AND the batteries (a big box of them) at the same time, if anyone knows roughly when it came out.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
The first thing to do is confirm that it isn't the batteries. It may hurt but I strongly suggest purchasing a pair of new Duracell or Energizer batteries from the supermarket as these should be fresh and powerful and importantly American-made. If your batteries are made in China all bets are off as to whether they'll work out packet, let alone after several years.

If there are still issues there are a few other things to check before giving SureFire's international number a call (I believe it's free from England and Germany, although travelling to Germany to make the call is likely a bit OTT)

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for trying some new, U.S.-made batteries.

It's a pain being in the UK and having to feed out torches these odd, criminally expensive batteries, but they are worth it. Good deals can be had online, so you won't need to pay supermarket prices for ever, if you pay them at all, but it would probably be the quickest way to find out if there's anything wrong with your U2.

I tend to bulk-buy SF123A every now and then to stock myself up. It stings laying out so much money on such an inescapably boring purchase, but I know I'll be set for a while.

Regards,
Tempest