Nitecore D10 Emitter swap

Flucero28

Enlightened
Hey guys, just got a Nitecore D10 SP with the XP-E R2 emitter. Love the UI and the build quality. Unfortunately the tint in my sample is a bit on the purple side and im not too sure I can live with it. Im debating swapping the stock emitter with an XP-G R5. The R5 is on a 10mm board, so the board diameter should not be an issue. I would imagine that the reflector should work fine as both emitter dome sizes should be the same, is this correct? I also would expect to gain a bit more output, even if its just minimal. What do you guys think? Any potential problems? Let me know what you guys think!

Frank

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Might be a bit more floody with the XP-G but the better tint will probably more than make up for that.

Photos please when you do it - I've got an old Q5 which I would like to upgrade to an XP-G. The main thing I've been worried about is how easy it is to remove the old PCB - whether it's glued in or just with thermal paste, so I'd be very interested to hear how you get on.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it can be done. Output is about the same, but you'll get a bigger hotspot. With a 10mm board, you might have a problem centering the emitter. See the sample I've done under "Modification".

maskman

Newly Enlightened
I've replaced two emitters on the D10's brother, the EX10. Granted two different models, but a lot of similarities just the same. I used an XP-G R4 on one and an R5 on another. Both exhibit a slight green tint. There are several posts referring to the XP-G tint lottery so just be aware you may or may not recieve an acceptable tint. I have no regrets about the swaps and would do it again. I'm sure you have your bases covered, but in case you haven't removed the D10 pill before I recommend taking a look at this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVlBqFSgAxE

Flucero28

Enlightened
Awesome guys thanks for all your input. I really wish they would choose good tints to begin with, but I suppose that would dramatically increase the cost of the light in the long run. Im just glad the EX and D10 are relatively easy to mod! Time to play the tint lotto one more time on the XP-G! Lol